am I getting desperate or is this feeling natural??

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by kirstylm, Aug 26, 2009.

1. kirstylm

kirstylm Well-Known Member

Hi girls! Just after some advise really. I had a MC back in May and had to have an evacuation op. Took me a good few months to mentally get over my loss and took my body even longer, only had 2 normal periods since!
    But, finally I feel back to 'normal' now in body and mind... I think!
    Since then, I have accepted a new job which I start on 28th September. If I'm right, you have to have been employed by the same employer for just under 6 months to recieve full maternity pay?? Is this right? My new job is a 6 month fixed term contract and I was told in the interview can be extended another 6 months as I am covering for the lady thats on maternity leave. :wacko:
    Now, here are my questions: 1. Should I wait 6 months and see if my contract is extended, if Im laid off, or offered the job full time before trying for a baby? 2. If I was to get pregnant a few months into my employment, could they sack me? 3. Am I taking a huge risk here taking a possible non permanent job and wanting a baby at the same time?? :baby:
    I am a bit upset as I don't really want to leave my current job as I love it an the people I work with. Im only really leaving as the money in the new job is starting salary of an extra 3 grand and going up to a possibility of another 3 grand! My current employer can't match this so I had no choice! The new job is a more senior role and will, I know, be a job I will love and there is much more oppertunity there so at the same time is a good thing.
    I feel like at the moment I wan't a baby more than anything in the world! I feel like I don't want to wait 6 months and even then, if the contract doesn't extend then I will have to find another job & start all over again!!!! :wacko:
    Any advise here would be much appreciated!!! :winkwink:

2. pinklizzy

pinklizzy Mummy to two little bears

You again! You know what I think hun, and obviously you wouldn't want to leave the amazing people you work with now! :winkwink: :nope:
    I think you need to start your new job, give it til Christmas and see how you feel then. I would love to start TTC now but in my sensible brain I need to wait until the house is finalised. I don't feel as if I would enjoy being pregnant as much if I was stressing about finances etc. I'm waffling now, maybe some of the other ladies will have better advice!

3. kirstylm

kirstylm Well-Known Member

Thanks hun. It just so sad that I have to leave for money!!! poo! And yes it is a HUGE shame I have to leave my amazing head nurse!!! Bestest boss ever!
    Yeah yor prob right, give it a few months, see in the new year then decide, at least I would have been in the job for a few months so will hopefully have a clearer head!
    I agree with you though definately, wait till ur in ur house and settled, got things where u want etc then try. Your right, you will feel anxious otherwise and that won't help with TTC! xxxxx

4. fuffyburra

fuffyburra Hattie Flower's mummy :)

In terms of what's best for your career, you'd have some experience in a higher post if you took the new job and kept it for a while, so you'd stand a better chance in a future job if one came up. But I know how impatient you must be feeling at the same time! :p
    1. I personally think taking the job would be good, it means you can save a bit of extra money for when LO does come along, and there is a chance of it becoming extended/permanent.
    2. I don't have a clue, sorry! :S
    and 3. Yeah probably, but you'll have to decide if the pros outway the cons or not. You know more about the jobs than I do, so you'll be able to make a better decision :)
    Good luck lovely, hope it all goes well!!
    xx

5. bunnyg82

bunnyg82 Mum to 2 gorgeous boys

Hi hun, I am sorry I can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to say hi and welcome to wtt and hope it all works out xx