Am I looking at this wrong??

aly888

Lana-Boo's mummy & WTT #2
Reaction score
Shock! Another disagreement with my future MIL :lol:

We were discussing wedding rings earlier and I told her about some I've seen in the sale. She says we should spend more than that on the ring because it has to last us the rest of our lives. I told her we couldn't afford to. So she told me to drop something from the wedding (this coming from the woman who wants us to serve food in the evening, which we also can't afford to do) so we can spend more on the rings.

Now, I may be looking at this the wrong way so I'm happy to hear your views on it, but to me, the rings can be replaced for more expensive rings at any later date down the line. Small details on the day are just that. Details! But it's the only day we get to have them and in my opinion can help make the day more memorable for everyone :shrug: Should we be focusing our money on the bis that'll last us forever, or should we be spending it on the day??

PS - Hubby to be wont be wearing his ring anyway due to his job and there's a good chance I'll just lose mine anyway :haha: MIL even suggested not buying OH a ring at all and spending more on mine, but OH deserves a ring, surely?

we are doing just that, not spending to much on rings and them replacing them with more expensive ones when we can afford it, to me it will still mean as much even though they wont be the rings we give each other on the day.

At the end of the day, its your wedding and you do things how you like :)

My grandparents have been married for 50 years and i think my grandma has had 3 engagement rings and two wedding rings! Im with you, i would rather buy a cheaper ring than compromise on something else, i mean you can all ways replace your rings but if you get a crap photographer you cant take your photos again.

That's how I see it. It's not the physical ring that has meaning, it's the meaning it symbolises. I can see us further down the line going out together and choosing new rings together. It won't mean that it'll have any less meaning to it. And anyway, I plan to have a new engagement ring before the wedding so two wedding rings makes sense. Just need my OH to come up with the goods :haha:

DFs ring was £60 from goldsmiths jewellers, Mine was £18 from ebay!. Mine is sterling silver the same as my engagement ring, if i ever have a spare few hundred pounds in the future i will buy a more expensive one but i have no current plans to do so.

You need to stand up to your MIL, Its your wedding not hers and what you say goes!. Make sure you remind her of that lol. GL x

My grandparents have been married for 50 years and i think my grandma has had 3 engagement rings and two wedding rings! Im with you, i would rather buy a cheaper ring than compromise on something else, i mean you can all ways replace your rings but if you get a crap photographer you cant take your photos again.

I second the photographer thing, We had an amazing photographer and if we were to do it all again this would be at the top of our priorities!.

Don't get me started on the photographer. We've spent £1k on ours and I think my MIL2B nearly pissed her pants when I told her. It was another "silly expense" in her eyes :dohh:

If you're happy to replace them I don't see what the problem is? You've got a limited amount to spend now but will have more for that one aspect in the future. We're getting cheap rings now but we're happy with them, I don't think they look cheap and they are the exact style we want so won't be replacing them. But I wore a replacement engagement ring when I got pregnancy puff fingers and it didn't take long before I was as attached to that as the original (even if it cost £13!) x

Our rings are from the pawn shop and cost £30 for both. They're plain silver and classy and I don't see any difference between them and a £3k platinum ring to be honest. I don't think it's the slightest bit important.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all!
We are going to get decent rings but that's because this is probs going to be the only time for a very long while that we have the money we have saved there!
Also my ring is going to have to be custom made to fit around my engagement ring so there's no point for to get one made and then made again!

If it was a case of having something or other then the rings would be down near the bottom of the list!

And photographer was right at the top of ours!

I don't think there is a right or wrong with this, it's up to you and oh!

Although I do go against what everyone else had said in that I would much rather get wedding rings that I would be likely to wear forever.

I personally would much rather spend more money on rings to wear forever than a cake for example, or stationary etc which will be gone after the day.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"