American child GLITZ beauty padeantry. For vs against... GO!

I wouldnt put my girls in a bikini like that to go swimming, they are young and thats why they have Peppa Pig costumes... I shall stick to those

I dont recall ever posting a pic of my girls looking like a mini 20 year old or doing a little look at me pose..

I dont post any pics of my girls in their swim constumes but each to their own..

This is nothing to do with hunting or boxing... this is about whether we are for or against beauty pageants.. I'd rather my child do none of the above..

TBH, the '...' doesn't really help. It makes your posts look a bit like you think im ridiculous or something.

Sorry obviously not allowed to reply to posts then.. Just cos we dont share the same views dont mean I am saying you dont care..

Okay you've clearly just not read what I said.

If you look at most of my posts I put ..... I do it on my texts too. thats just something I do...... see <<< lol

i feel like im running around in circles reading this thread lol

no matter what anyone says they wont change the fact blah thinks pagents are ok and no one would be able to change my mind that i think they are wrong

i feel like im running around in circles reading this thread lol

no matter what anyone says they wont change the fact blah thinks pagents are ok and no one would be able to change my mind that i think they are wrong

Yeah I agree - Even me who likes playing with words felt like I was flogging a dead horse there.

I'm not sure how I feel tbh.

I think healthy competition is good, I did a lot of shows from when I was 8-17 and I absolutely loved it, I learnt from my 2nd show when I was 8 where we had to go through an audition process that you can't always win and you can't always be the best (I was pretty er, spoilt and arrogant prior to this and thought I was awesome!) I got into the show but didn't get the part I wanted. It was hard hitting cos I was used to getting everything I wanted but I think it gave me a pretty mature outlook on it as every audition I went to from then on, I would go to with an open mind, not get my hopes up and just do my best and accept whatever the outcome was. Although in a way it sounds quite "sad" for an 8 year old to learn not to get their hopes up I think its a good thing and the sooner you learn you can't have everything or be the best at everything the better :shrug:

However, I'm not sure how I feel with that competition being about looks etc. Thats kinda like you are a less worthy person, rather than you are a less talented actor/singer/dancer/whatever which I think would be a lot harder to handle. But then again I didn't do it so I wouldn't know, all I know is my experience was definitely a good one and I'm glad I found a hobby I was passionate about! I think it's wrong for parents to push their kids into any hobby, beauty pageants or not, but if they were really really passionate about it then yeah I reckon I would probably let my hypothetical daughter do it but I definitely wouldn't go all out on the fakeness/slutty dancing.

I personally dont agree with them at all & the video Kitty posted disturbed me, especially the swimsuit round :wacko: on this bit what are they judging them on?? 'yes 5 year old little girl you look the best in a bikini' :sick::wacko:

all the make-up, huge hair, fake tan & eyelashes is just wrong IMO let kids be kids x

^ Their walk, their outfit choice, eye contact with judges, smile, their hair/makeup choice, their talent section, how they answered the interview questions etc etc

^ Their walk, their outfit choice, eye contact with judges, smile, their hair/makeup choice, their talent section, how they answered the interview questions etc etc

If they are judging on all of that, why do they need to wear a bikini???

they don't :)! its the parents choice, they can wear a swimsuit and sarong.

The parents choice?? so not even the childs choice, wow x

I have to say I'm against and I think Lightworker has echoed my views. Having said that, I'm a diplomat and it seems this thread is very one sided. I think so far its only Blah who is being pro. It would be good to hear from others in the pro camp too. Also it would be interesting to hear the positives too. So far we've heard...

CONS
- sexualised of children
- unnecessary emphasis on appearance
- unnecessary competition
- the time and cost of taking part

PROS
- some of the outfits aren't too bad
- there is a talent aspect which doesn't judge appearance alone
- any others???

I just think there are better competitions. I hate the way things revolve around how you look/are.

AGAINST! I am totally against anything that encourages children to value themselves on the basis of their looks. As adults we spend so much time combating the effects of "physical beauty -related illnesses" such as eating disorders, low self-esteem etc. People don't love themselves and spend loads on surgery, make up etc and we are now passing this onto children. Teaching them that their worth begins and ends with their looks. Awful

You've just saved me typing out my reply! ^^WSS^^

I agree with what some others have said about competition being healthy, but not competiton based on looks - I honestly find it a bit twisted.

If you compete in sports, you can train to improve - if you compete in intellectual pursuits, you can study to improve - but your looks are your looks, your face is your face, and I never want my daughter to feel that that is what matters most about her. Her soul, her heart, her personality and her mind are the most beautiful and potential-filled parts of her. Yes, she is physically beautiful - but what makes her special is the stuff on the inside.

AGAINST! I am totally against anything that encourages children to value themselves on the basis of their looks. As adults we spend so much time combating the effects of "physical beauty -related illnesses" such as eating disorders, low self-esteem etc. People don't love themselves and spend loads on surgery, make up etc and we are now passing this onto children. Teaching them that their worth begins and ends with their looks. Awful

I agree with what some others have said about competition being healthy, but not competiton based on looks - I honestly find it a bit twisted.

If you compete in sports, you can train to improve - if you compete in intellectual pursuits, you can study to improve - but your looks are your looks, your face is your face, and I never want my daughter to feel that that is what matters most about her. Her soul, her heart, her personality and her mind are the most beautiful and potential-filled parts of her. Yes, she is physically beautiful - but what makes her special is the stuff on the inside.

Ok you made my mind up, I agree with this! :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

:thumbup: Agree with both of these quotes!! Totally wrong in my opinion and I also find them very shallow! x

:thumbup: Agree with both of these quotes!! Totally wrong in my opinion and I also find them very shallow! x

me too :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->