American child GLITZ beauty padeantry. For vs against... GO!

:shrug: It doesn't really make any difference. You're still not at fault if you're abused, no matter what your self esteem is like.

Eh? How did you interprete my post as laying blame on the victim? I said pageantry for those women may have led to or BEEN AS A RESULT OF personal problem.
Eg. i am raped-my self esteem suffers-I turn to pageantry to try to restore it as pageantry boosts ego etc

I am not saying this is what Oprah went through, its just an example.

but we're talking about child beauty pageants?

Yes, but you mention these women as having "turned out fine." when you cannot be sure what they are going through that has either led them to pageants, or that has occured as a result of the ills of pageants. I know with the Oprah scenario it does not concern child pageants per se but the principle is the same - competition over looks.

but why would a former beauty queen be more likely to be raped? makes no sense at all.

Blah- I don't know how you keep misunderstanding my posts. You earlier mentioned former beauty queens and said that they turned out fine. I countered this by saying that isn't entirely true. Oprah's rape preceded her beautyqueen days (I think) and all I said was that perhaps she suffered low esteem as a result of the rape and turned to beauty to boost her ego. How did you interpret that as meaning former beauty queens are more likely to get raped? I can't make it plainer than that.

Well if we're talking about childhood beauty pageants then why is it even relevant? If you mean before taking part in pageants abuse happened, children wouldn't count. If anything it would be older teens and young women.
If you mean after then like I said, idk how doing beauty pageants will make you more likely for an abuser to pick on you :shrug:

Yep and now you're back to my reason for editing that post not to include references to Oprah. My ultimate point is that the women you made mention of may have deep seated issues you may not be aware of, so they are not credible within the context of this debate.

Then neither is the link you posted :shrug:

How do you work that out? The lady is openly admitting she has suffered as a result. Why is she not credible? If Halle, Eva etc openly admitted to having suffered (or conversly denied suffering) then they would be credible examples. They are not credible now because they have neither confirmed nor denied psychological damage as a result of pageantry and so lend nothing to the debate either way :shrug:

adult pageantry and children pageantry cant even be compared!
for no matter what reason a teen, young woman knows what they want to do and decide to do the pagent themselves. where as children are pushed into it by their parents (most are), so they cant say yes i want to do this and are sometimes started at a young age which alot are.
i saw a woman put her daughter thru them from birth and at one point the girl was crying saying she didnt want to do it or go for a spray tan...her mum pushed her anyway and then the same with her son at 2 weeks old!

How do you work that out? The lady is openly admitting she has suffered as a result. Why is she not credible? If Halle, Eva etc openly admitted to having suffered (or conversly denied suffering) then they would be credible examples. They are not credible now because they have neither confirmed nor denied psychological damage as a result of pageantry and so lend nothing to the debate either way :shrug:

Oh right so unless they come out and say 'pageants didnt ruin my life' then we have to assume they might have :dohh: Thats silly.

adult pageantry and children pageantry cant even be compared!
for no matter what reason a teen, young woman knows what they want to do and decide to do the pagent themselves. where as children are pushed into it by their parents (most are), so they cant say yes i want to do this and are sometimes started at a young age which alot are.
i saw a woman put her daughter thru them from birth and at one point the girl was crying saying she didnt want to do it or go for a spray tan...her mum pushed her anyway and then the same with her son at 2 weeks old!

:( oh thats very sad.

it was awful seeing the poor girls face, her hair being done was hurting her n she really didnt want to be there. so from that day on i hated the thought of pagents, even tho its always disturbed me how much make up they wear.

that being said, if I had already paid a £1000 entry fee, she would be going LOL no more after that though. lets be honest, chances are that wouldnt have been the first time :(

that being said, if I had already paid a £1000 entry fee, she would be going LOL no more after that though. lets be honest, chances are that wouldnt have been the first time :(

hahaha! i cant believe how much money is spent on this crap i really dont! my mum wont even pay £5 for a meal for zane and leave it uneaten.

this woman was proper trailer trash and seemed like a total bitch living thru her children. some people are crazy.

Blah - the folly of using adjectives like "silly" is it usually reveals a lack of understanding in the user of said adjective, your post is case in point.
Halle et al should never have been mentioned in this debate as we can neither prove, nor disprove any effects (positive or negative) of pageants on their lives. We don't need to assume anything. It is a FACT that we don't know how pageants have affected their psych well being.

I'm very much against it...even really for young teens which I know are old enough to know whether they want to or not...I just think its puts too much pressure on young girls to be one way or another or to try to be something that they arent when it should be about (which I really only felt this way after I had my daughter) true beauty. Working with what God gave you and being happy with it. God doesnt make mistakes and he made my little girl absolutely perfect. Hair, tans, makeup, etc can make her feel good if thats what she chooses one day, but she has to know that none of that makes her beautiful!

Blah - the folly of using adjectives like "silly" is it usually reveals a lack of understanding in the user of said adjective, your post is case in point.
Halle et al should never have been mentioned in this debate as we can neither prove, nor disprove any effects (positive or negative) of pageants on their lives. We don't need to assume anything. It is a FACT that we don't know how pageants have affected their psych well being.

Or, I think it's silly because it makes no real sense. Maybe it's not my lack of understanding but your wording.

There's been millions of girls who have done pageants, a very TINY minority were probably abused, drug addicts, alcoholics etc but I don't think it's anything to do with pageantry whatsoever as a million and 1 other girls turned out just fine and a lot have great careers now. Anyone can turn into an addict or turn to other unsavoury things :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->