American child GLITZ beauty padeantry. For vs against... GO!

KittyVentura

Autism Mum
Reaction score
A little video to give you a taster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4D2czQ0W10&feature=related

xx

i see it like any other hobby tbh. Aslong as it doesnt become unhealthy (forced, them being TOO dedicated and not doing anything else etc) then I don't see it as a problem :)

I am on the fence with this one tbh. In one respect if its done as a hobby and not an 'obsession' then I guess its ok. Although I do feel that young girls are already peer pressured enough to be thin/pretty/fashionable already without the need to compete for it.
When it comes to a full on obsession and the mothers start spray tanning/applying false eyelashes/botox etc at young ages then I object. Kids should be kids, they grow up too quickly these days on their own.

idk if youve ever watched any of the series on beauty pagents but the kids dont walk about with a spray tan and poofy dresses all made up day to day. They have normal kid clothes and looks and play normal kid games :shrug:

If it's a fun thing for the child to do and they enjoy performing then I'm for it. Pagent mums (moms) get a bad wrap as there are a few crazed botoxers out there like the one that injected her 8 yr old!!! But I have seen just as many gymnastics mums (making the child practice and perform on a broken ankle) or music mums (the type that make Johnny play for 5 hrs a day etc) that are as bad. I hope that if any parent is taking it too serious then they should be banned, the parent, not the child. I am not so keen on some of the over sexualised stuff but there is a fine line. Many figure skating and gymnastics outfits push the barriers these days. Tennis and netball skirts are also up there so it's a judgment call really.

I think its easy to let this hobby become much more.. Its getting your child to compete to be the most beautiful, most talented. I dont like it when I see a 5-6yr old with fake eyelashes on, bright orange and a big bush on her head. Its just another thing for a child to feel like she has to fight for.

Nothing wrong with a bit of competition IMO!

Depends what the competition is... I dont see why any child should compete to be 'better' than another

I hate it. I think it's sick and so very wrong. Babies in make up, young girls given stray tans, made up to look like baby prostitutes and paraded around in skimpy outfits in front of anyone who wishes to see. Little girls made to dance and flaunt themselves like a advert to pedophiles. Precious little things that should be made to believe that they are perfect as they are, having their own mother teach them from a young age that they are NOT good enough and need make up to be accepted. Little girls taught to value looks above anything else. It all makes me so very sad.

I am referring to pretty much all contestants in the larger American pageants. It is the norm for the girls to be so made up and stray tanned etc to compete.

i think its disgusting, putting little girls in make up and sprays tans. thats not showing their true beauty at all and disturbs me.

from the shows ive seen its pushy parents putting their children in these pagents...like a 2 yr old can say yes mum i wana go do this and wear make up and spray tans and have u wax my eye brows.

You should youtube "Toddlers and Tiaras", its a show in the US and its disgusting!

You should youtube "Toddlers and Tiaras", its a show in the US and its disgusting!

I think we have something like that if not the same on LivingTV here in UK.. I havent watched it.. I dont waste my time with them.

I think competition is normal and part of real life. We compete for jobs, partners, opportunities and to win at sports, music, art etc. I would never be interested in spray tanning my child and would talk about what beauty means but who is to say that beauty isn't in dancing a routine on stage? Toddlers and Tiaras gets airtime because they film the extreme. Otherwise what would they have to show??? Look at Airport and those sorts of shows, they don't show the boring, run of the mill people just going about heir day. They show the irate, the special story, the freaks etc.

AGAINST! I am totally against anything that encourages children to value themselves on the basis of their looks. As adults we spend so much time combating the effects of "physical beauty -related illnesses" such as eating disorders, low self-esteem etc. People don't love themselves and spend loads on surgery, make up etc and we are now passing this onto children. Teaching them that their worth begins and ends with their looks. Awful

AGAINST! feeding so typing with ine hand and can't go into detail but don't think any child needs that pressure to9 be beautiful. It's bad for the emotional well being of children. IMO. I also strongly agree with Lightworker.

Meh, I'd still much prefer my child to do pageants than hunting or boxing.

Meh, I'd still much prefer my child to do pageants than hunting or boxing.

This is nothing to do with hunting or boxing... :shrug: this is about whether we are for or against beauty pageants.. I'd rather my child do none of the above..

have to say i agree ^ why on earth make small children compete to be the "best looking" bit sad to be honest its not even a "real" talent is it.. maybe if they are the best at martial arts or dancing etc.. but "BEST LOOKING" its not even a real competition lol its superficial tat it would be like winning a competition to be the tallest or the blondest !

AGAINST! I am totally against anything that encourages children to value themselves on the basis of their looks. As adults we spend so much time combating the effects of "physical beauty -related illnesses" such as eating disorders, low self-esteem etc. People don't love themselves and spend loads on surgery, make up etc and we are now passing this onto children. Teaching them that their worth begins and ends with their looks. Awful

And i agree with this, well said :) .. its not exactly giving children the right idea from the word GO is it... :dohh: x

even tho its O/T id rather my child did boxing and could protect themselves rather then just knowing how to walk like they are a slaggy 18yr old.

in general children wearing adult style clothing really disturbs me. growing up i was allowed to wear makeup in the house while playing dress up and i enjoyed it but for a 4 yr old to wear more makeup then i do is just wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->