Amount of milk at 6 months +

Samemka

Mummy of 2 girlies
Reaction score
I've got into quite a good routine with Emma, but she's started waking in the night for a bottle when previously sleeping through. I think it's because she's not having enough milk in the day. On a couple of days when she has had an extra bottle in the day, she's slept through.

Our day goes along the lines of...

6.30 - 7.30: Wake up
7 - 8 (depending on when she wakes up): 8oz bottle
9: Breakfast
11:30 Lunch
3: 8oz bottle
5: Dinner
6: 8oz bottle
6:15 - Bed

I thought once at 6mnths babies needed a min of 500ml of milk a day, which Emma is getting. I thought they'd drop down to 3 bottles a day, but when I looked at a can of cow and gate milk at my friends, it says they should be having 4 bottles!

Emma IS having 4 - but I don't know what to do as one of these is middle of the night (around 3:30-4am) so I don't want to get her into the habit of having this night feed if she'd go back to sleeping through if she had more milk in the day. Do I try to squeeze an extra on in during the day (or maybe 1/2 bottle at lunchtime?) or leave it as it is? What do you do with your LOs?

Thanks xxxx

Our Alex is in a very similar routine to your Emma, but he is couple weeks older. The only difference is that I offer a bottle after lunch as well, so he gets 4-5 bottles a day and sleeps through the night. Alex's routine is:

7 am Wake-up & Bottle 6oz
8.30 am Nap - half an hour
9.30 am Breakfast of porridge made with formula
11.30 am Lunch
12 noon Bottle - 5oz
12.30 pm Nap 1-2 hours
3 pm Bottle 6oz
4pm Nap - 1 hour
6pm Dinner & 5 oz milk (I'm planning on dropping this bottle soon)
7.30 pm Bed & bottle 4 oz

HTH

Our routine is identical to cheesepuff's except without the 6pm bottle.

Ruby's 4 bottle amounts are: 7oz, 5oz, 5oz, 7oz.

Is she definitely hungry in the night? I know that sounds silly but night waking is mega common at this age anyway. Ruby is going through an iffy phase of waking once in the night but I'm fairly certain it's due to her being cold.

Archie is just over 7months old and recently started waking in the night and i thought he may be hungry as he was only on 3, 7oz bottles a day. I was advised by my health visitor that he prob wasnt hungry as he soon settles once given his dummy and he wouldnt go back to sleep if it was hunger.
His old routeen was this while he was waking.

8-8:30am - wake up
9am - 7oz bottle
10:30am - breakfast of 1 weetabix & cows milk or porridge
1pm - lunch 1/2 large stage 2 jar and some fruit.
4pm - 7oz bottle
6pm - tea 1/2 large stage 2 jar and 2 small yogs
8:30pm - 7oz bottle and bed

she advised me to drop his 4pm bottle and up his others to 8oz and use formula on his breakfast to make it up to about 20oz a day total.

Yesterday i tried this out
8am - wake up
9am - 8oz bottle
10:30am - porridge
1:30pm - Lunch - 1/2 jar and 2 small yogs
4:30pm - Tea - 1/2 jar and sliced banana
7:30pm - 8oz bottle and bed

I also had to do controlled cryng last night for the first time ever and he went about 40mins in total with me going in after every 5mins or so just to let him know i hadnt abandoned him.
He did go off though eventually and only woke twice in the night compared to his usual 6 odd times. I just listened when he woke up as he was only wimpering and i knew he was warm enough etc and he soon put himself back to sleep and woke up n a happy mood as usual this morning.

Didnt half feel cruel though last night listening to him cry :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->