An independent Scotland?

I'm glad that you got what I was trying to say. It's exactly that, I feel that independence is a when not if and so therefore I think if it doesn't happen now it will in however many years, I would just rather (as there is no going back) that a bigger percentage was happy for it to happen and that things were much clearer for those people who aren't sure.

I have every faith that you guys will succeed and prosper independently. Why wouldn't you IMO :)

I was getting ready for bed and thinking about this thread and was wondering about the Europe thing. What do you guys think will happen with membership? I imagine the no vote will say you won't get it and the yes vote say you will get it as it makes sense for visas, people who work and live in Scotland who are from Europe (and obvs Scottish people who are in Europe), business, trade etc. just wondered your thoughts.

Ahhhh michelle :hugs: if it's yes, you and I can find an island some where and make our own little Great Britain :haha:

So what happens then? We just keep spending millions having a referendum every ten years or so? The referendum in 1997 was about devolution not independence so it's more likely to be another 30+ years before we see another one!! I want this for my future and, more importantly for my daughter's future! That's too long to wait!

Bottom line is always this for me - why shouldn't we have the right to rule over ourselves? Xx

I don't think it will be as long as 30 years for the next one, 19 years between the 2 devolution ones, and I think it would be about the same again.

On one website I looked at splitting the polls by age indicated the retired generation were the ones most likely to vote NO so give it 20 years and the majority of them will be out the equation, the scraps of industry we have will be gone along with the oil.

That of course depends if England decide they've bleed us dry and we are starting to cost them money and they decide to set us free. They didn't write that bit into the Scotland Act for nothing.

Will the oil really be gone so quickly?

I doubt the oil will run out that quickly. BP expect the field they are about to start on to last over 20 years and for them to recoup the start up costs in 2.

I think we will get into Europe, as you say we have lots of Europeans in Scotland, do the Eastern European countries have work to take them back?
However Germany, France, Spain and Italy all have areas which have an independence movement they don't want to follow suit. But on the reverse of that if Scotland comes out of the EU the fishermen must gain. Nobody would have a right to enter Scottish water's. Get your hands on a proper map (not a distorted BBC weather map) see where Shetland actually is that is all Scottish waters.

I keep seeing people say if it is a NO vote will England set up a vote to get rid? Lol not that I agree but obviously not read into it. I think England being beheaded is a bit sad for the way it looks on a map :p

Tommy them having bits that want to go independent certainly does make it more complicated.i suppose these issues are why so many are confused as to which way to vote.

MF that's because they believe free prescriptions/university places etc mean that Scotland are living off 'us' which simply isn't true.

Yeah def on both sides. Someone on my Facebook is very much a yes vote, she posts every half hour or so about it and also calls no voters names like cowards etc but there are certainly other people doing it the other way too x

I've seen the yes side be more aggressive voices but thats only what I've seen. Im still concerned over our lounge rug!

Yeah def on both sides. Someone on my Facebook is very much a yes vote, she posts every half hour or so about it and also calls no voters names like cowards etc but there are certainly other people doing it the other way too x

Some of my friends are quite aggressive about it too. I've lost respect for them, not because of their vote, the the rudeness! :O
My best friend is voting yes, i'm voting no, we arent tearing the shit out each other :rofl: just respecting either others opinion.

I've only got the odd Scottish person on my fb, so I don't see all that much. Is there a lot of it on you Scottish girls fb?

I have to be honest and say it has reduced my respect for her too. I think being passionate about politics is fabulous, sharing your views is good too as I and others learn a lot from them however you can do that and remain respectful of other peoples views, no need for rudeness and name calling.

Ap you're totally voting no because you don't want to leave me, aren't you? :haha:

Im watching it with huge interest!
My parents voted NO in the 1995 ref on quebec/canada, I was 9 and remember it so clearly, now im living in the UK watching this one!
In Quebec support for the separatist movement has really declined so I doubt they will sperate from Canada any time soon.

I'm so annoyed today!
My friend was out with her 3 month old baby who was wearing a bib from the Olympics and it had a Union Jack on it.... Some man verbally abused her and told her to 'fuck off to England'
How pathetic!
Plus I just read on FB that apparently we should vote yes for our own safety as there will be another Hiroshima/Fukushima nuclear disaster and to take a pen when you vote Yes as they are only providing pencils so that all the 'yes' votes will be changed to 'no'

And I don't want to argue with peple on FB, but some of things being posted are a bit ridiculous....

My dad was Scottish and I lived there for ten years so have loads of friends living there on my Facebook..

The yes voters seem kind of aggressive, I've deleted loads. I've seen so many arguments with friends, people living in the same villages. It's really sad to see.
I hope Scotland are still part of the UK, I like is together. :) also my husband is an oil worker. He said that Lots of contracts are on hold until after Friday.

My Facebook is absolutely nothing but the referendum now - literally about 95% of posts are related to it. I keep seeing a lot of 'hey guys let's not be aggressive, we have to get on after this' kind of posts but personally haven't seen many aggressive or rude posts myself. Most people that I've seen posting the 'let's get on' posts have said the aggression has come from both sides. What I have come across is a lot of snobbery against yes voters. I've lost count of how many people I've heard saying things like the yes voters who marched to the bbc the other day are just backward zealots or just uneducated nats.

Having said that, the vast majority of what I've seen is respectful debate and I must say I think it's absolutely brilliant to see social media being used to discuss politics and such important matters either way as opposed to pictures of what people had for dinner :haha: 97% of people have registered to vote - that is just amazing!!

As a teacher I am also amazed at how engaged young children are in the debate - in relation to the next generation it has done for politics what the Olympics did for sport and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

I have loads of Scottish people on my fb as I went to Glasgow Uni and lived there for 8 years. It seems like most are voting YES but maybe it's just that the yes voters are more (very) verbal about it. If I still lived there I would be voting NO.

Lots of Scottish people on my facebook too (family and friends), a lot are vocal YES voters, not aggressive really but very much dismissive of any of the NO arguments, and denying that there is any ill-feeling or problems going on between the two camps. One family member is a NO voter, as she changed her profile to the No Thanks sign but other than that she's not talking about it. I think the NO voters are mostly keeping quiet so there may be a lot more of them than we think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->