• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An independent Scotland?

I have family in Scotland (my mum and grandparents are Scottish) who are voting yes, my mums cousin has been putting up pictures of her kids (only one of which is old enough to vote and have no idea what it's all about) holding YES posters. OH has relatives up there and they're refusing to vote. I've tried to read about it and what will happen if the Yes votes come out on top but there's just too much conflicting information and a lot of grey areas.

My Facebook is absolutely nothing but the referendum now - literally about 95% of posts are related to it. I keep seeing a lot of 'hey guys let's not be aggressive, we have to get on after this' kind of posts but personally haven't seen many aggressive or rude posts myself. Most people that I've seen posting the 'let's get on' posts have said the aggression has come from both sides. What I have come across is a lot of snobbery against yes voters. I've lost count of how many people I've heard saying things like the yes voters who marched to the bbc the other day are just backward zealots or just uneducated nats.

Having said that, the vast majority of what I've seen is respectful debate and I must say I think it's absolutely brilliant to see social media being used to discuss politics and such important matters either way as opposed to pictures of what people had for dinner :haha: 97% of people have registered to vote - that is just amazing!!

As a teacher I am also amazed at how engaged young children are in the debate - in relation to the next generation it has done for politics what the Olympics did for sport and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Cheeky beggers :haha: !! We live in a democracy where it is OK (and right) for people to stand up for what they believe in, and hold to account those who are not behaving in an appropriate manner. The BBC has been an absolute disgrace throughout. They have a responsibility to report in an impartial and unbiased way- and have done no such thing! It is correct that they were challenged! We can't have the media running amok, it is an affront to democracy. So many people trusted the BBC to report truthfully (as is their job!) and they were let down. How else can people show their disappointment in a public body? A peaceful protest is the only real way to do it. (Although of course there were about 7 previous protests before this one and none were reported on!).

Sorry bit of a rant there but i'm annoyed!!

My Facebook is absolutely nothing but the referendum now - literally about 95% of posts are related to it. I keep seeing a lot of 'hey guys let's not be aggressive, we have to get on after this' kind of posts but personally haven't seen many aggressive or rude posts myself. Most people that I've seen posting the 'let's get on' posts have said the aggression has come from both sides. What I have come across is a lot of snobbery against yes voters. I've lost count of how many people I've heard saying things like the yes voters who marched to the bbc the other day are just backward zealots or just uneducated nats.

Having said that, the vast majority of what I've seen is respectful debate and I must say I think it's absolutely brilliant to see social media being used to discuss politics and such important matters either way as opposed to pictures of what people had for dinner :haha: 97% of people have registered to vote - that is just amazing!!

As a teacher I am also amazed at how engaged young children are in the debate - in relation to the next generation it has done for politics what the Olympics did for sport and that can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Cheeky beggers :haha: !! We live in a democracy where it is OK (and right) for people to stand up for what they believe in, and hold to account those who are not behaving in an appropriate manner. The BBC has been an absolute disgrace throughout. They have a responsibility to report in an impartial and unbiased way- and have done no such thing! It is correct that they were challenged! We can't have the media running amok, it is an affront to democracy. So many people trusted the BBC to report truthfully (as is their job!) and they were let down. How else can people show their disappointment in a public body? A peaceful protest is the only real way to do it. (Although of course there were about 7 previous protests before this one and none were reported on!).

I actually can't believe the reactions the Yes voters have been getting and unfortunately I've seen this first hand. I purposely haven't engaged in conversation about the referendum since I first mentioned (when asked) that I was voting yes. I work in the oil & gas sector and it's pretty clear from here that the majority that I interact with are going no. Some colleagues have been beyond rude, to the point that I then reverted and pretended that I was winding them up and will of course be voting no because it became so intolerable. When I said this, one commented that he knew I was better educated and more intelligent than a yes vote. I would argue and stand my ground but frankly I was nervous that it would have an impact on my employment (which I genuinely felt it would) and also, I don't feel I have to justify my personal vote to anyone. I have a post grad degree, working towards my masters so I'm not going into this as the media is proclaiming, as an under educated braveheart yob. I'm intelligent enough to want the best future for Scotland and see that by gaining our independence, simple as. I know it will take some hard work to get there but I whole heartedly believe it will be worth it.

I actually can't believe the reactions the Yes voters have been getting and unfortunately I've seen this first hand. I purposely haven't engaged in conversation about the referendum since I first mentioned (when asked) that I was voting yes. I work in the oil & gas sector and it's pretty clear from here that the majority that I interact with are going no. Some colleagues have been beyond rude, to the point that I then reverted and pretended that I was winding them up and will of course be voting no because it became so intolerable. When I said this, one commented that he knew I was better educated and more intelligent than a yes vote. I would argue and stand my ground but frankly I was nervous that it would have an impact on my employment (which I genuinely felt it would) and also, I don't feel I have to justify my personal vote to anyone. I have a post grad degree, working towards my masters so I'm not going into this as the media is proclaiming, as an under educated braveheart yob. I'm intelligent enough to want the best future for Scotland and see that by gaining our independence, simple as. I know it will take some hard work to get there but I whole heartedly believe it will be worth it.

I think if someone blindly believes what the mainstream media is saying, it makes sense that they would come to conclusion that YES voters are not intelligent or are somehow being "hoodwinked" by Salmond :nope:

I was a labour voter, and believe me, I don't think the sun shines out of Salmonds backside.. But i still agree that we will be a better country making all of our own decisions with a Parliament in Scotland and MP's who we can hold to account here.

There was recently a study reported in the Guardian that said the more undecided voters read up on the referendum (materials from each side) the more likely they were to come to a YES vote. So up ye to all the "uneducated Nat" nonsense.

I'm sorry that your work colleagues have treated you that way! You should be able to show your support, whatever way, without fear of a backlash from anyone. My house is like a YES fortress thanks to OH :haha:

I definitely think yes is the louder voice and more nos than people think.

I don't know! We'll have to wait and see! But many many people who have never voted before have registered to vote, and believe me, they won't be voting for the status quo!

Lovely to see the Torys already rebelling against these so called "extra powers" we're supposed to be getting.....

Also Lord Barnett speaking out against the Barnett formula (that the three leaders vowed to protect) saying it should be scrapped.

I wonder what power the three leaders actually have at the end of the day?... surely if the party members rebel against what they propose there isn't much that can be done about it? I know that neither the "new powers" (that aren't actually new at all but ones proposed from the spring), nor saving the Barnett formula are party policies. There will be uproar if they don't follow through!

I think so too.
I've never voted in my life. i sure will be tomorrow.
One of my (timid) workmates done a postal vote because she didnt want harrassed. That's a bit bad, like.

I was wondering last night when they give what the polls are currently at how do they collate that? As I have never once been asked at my door or in the street what I'm voting for? So it must be quite a rough guess of who is actually in the lead

I was wondering last night when they give what the polls are currently at how do they collate that? As I have never once been asked at my door or in the street what I'm voting for? So it must be quite a rough guess of who is actually in the lead

I just assumed its random polls they take , online? Somewhere?

:rofl: im so crap at this.

I don't know one single person who has actually been polled! I think they weigh it against the whole population, with regards to sex, age, social-economic bracket, location (I think). So it's normally about 1000 people but it's supposed to be a cross section of the general population. The thing is i'm not sure if they will be accurate given the amount of people who have registered to vote and the amount of first time voters. I personally don't think the polls will be accurate. I'm throwing caution to the wind and saying landslide YES!!

I don't know! We'll have to wait and see! But many many people who have never voted before have registered to vote, and believe me, they won't be voting for the status quo!

Lovely to see the Torys already rebelling against these so called "extra powers" we're supposed to be getting.....

Also Lord Barnett speaking out against the Barnett formula (that the three leaders vowed to protect) saying it should be scrapped.

I wonder what power the three leaders actually have at the end of the day?... surely if the party members rebel against what they propose there isn't much that can be done about it? I know that neither the "new powers" (that aren't actually new at all but ones proposed from the spring), nor saving the Barnett formula are party policies. There will be uproar if they don't follow through!

I wouldn't be so sure on the not voting for the status quo. I think the extra people are probably quite evenly split on yes voters who want change and no voters who realise their vote counts and the only way to prevent independence is if they vote.

I wouldn't be so sure on the not voting for the status quo. I think the extra people are probably quite evenly split on yes voters who want change and no voters who realise their vote counts and the only way to prevent independence is if they vote.

I think the majority of first time voters (of any age sorry I am meaning, not just the young ones) are from deprived areas/ backgrounds, who have never had an interest in politics before and are more likely to vote YES from a feeling of getting a raw deal out of the union. Certainly the polls from the RIC (thousands and thousands of voters) concentrated on deprived areas and were getting large majorities of YES. However, that's if you trust polling....

That's what I'm thinking too. A lot of those newly registered voters might be people that are scared of everything changing so want to get their NO vote in. I expect a lot are YES voters too though. Gah this is very exciting and scary!

https://vis.oobrien.com/indyref/

Not sure how much I'd trust that map, they have the Western Isles as one of the first to declare I could be wrong but are they not normally one of the last due to distance and getting the votes all to the counting station in Stornoway?

But going by it there are plenty of areas that are close to call.

I also think a lot of the new votes will be Yes rather than No's

Not sure if good luck the right term. But all will be over tomorrow hope what ever the outcome Scotland will prosper.

Thanks Mummy Bean I think no matter what happens London has to wake up to the rest of the country and I don't just mean Scotland I mean the north parts of England who equally feel remote from London.

And beyond that the Catalonians who are aiming to have their referendum in November.

Ooh ooh ooh I was polled last night by Ipsos Mori. They just phoned and asked if I would answer some questions which I did. They def go for a range as they only wanted to speak to me as they were looking for women between 16-34 and didn't want to speak to my husband (good job as he's a no :haha:).

Their latest poll puts yes at 49% and no at 51% excluding undecideds. Of the undecideds there were 27% swaying to yes and 24% swaying to no with the rest refusing/don't know. So it's very much all to play for!

As for the map I'm not sure but certainly in previous elections Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles) has been one of the first to declare. Although I'm very surprised at Highlands and Islands being most likely to be no...that's definitely not the feeling I've been getting up here!

I'm getting very excited/ nervous. I still think it will be a no but I'm really hoping it will be a yes.

My friend (no voter) has just texted me asking why I'm voting yes, said she can't go to sleep thinking she might make the wrong decision. Iv never had my friends care about politics before I think it's fantastic.

i'm really excited too catty! i think it'll be a yes though :) glasgow was absolutely buzzing today/tonight, these are really exciting times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->