• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Andrew - born at 29 weeks!

He's Home!

Excuse me if I'm too busy to post for a few days! :happydance:

Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Do you feel like a real mum yet:thumbup:

Thanks to Daddy pacifying Andrew with a top-up feed at midnight (and then falling asleep with him on his chest on the sofa eeeeeeek!!!), we're now on a feeding schedule that is identical to my expressing schedule, so I know where I am and how much time I have to get onto the laptop and update you all ;)

Andrew nearly didn't make it home yesterday. Firstly the docs weren't happy that he'd lost 12g overnight, and were reluctant to send him home after a weight loss, but I begged and they relented; I'm on strict orders to wake him to feed every four hours, and the community nurses will be weighing him to check. And then we had him in the buggy, literally ready to walk out of the hospital, when the fire alarms went off! Nobody's permitted to leave then, as they need to control numbers and because the lifts are out of action ... was a false alarm, but kept us there another 20 minutes.

So here we are, now at home. Andrew's taking about 20 minutes of intermittent BF, his technique and stamina have improved dramatically since we started him on bottle-feeding as a supplement rather than tube-feeds (in the hospital); he's then supplemented with upto 60ml of fortified EBM - generally multicoloured, as we've got three different vitamin supplements to add!

He says he's not used to the dark, as there were always lights on in SCBU, but he'll get used to it so long as Mummy is there to talk him to sleep. And the ceilings look very different. Car journeys are boring, he can sleep then. And his bouncy chair makes a nice change to the basket, as then he can watch Mummy in the kitchen.

I think we'll be regular visitors back to hospital, as he's going to have another hearing test; follow-up appointments with the neonatal consultant; RSV jabs; and physio want to see him to get a benchmark for possible future visits.

But in the meantime, I get to enjoy my baby at home - and for the first time, I don't have to get dressed to go up to the hospital :)

The first night Abby was home, I got up at 3am to give her a feed and fell asleep with her on my chest. I awoke with a start about an hour convinced she had fallen off. She was so tiny and light I couldn't feel here there. But it felt fantastic:happydance:

It sounds like you have got it all sorted and are getting into it very well. Abby stayed on her schedule for a couple of months. It was great! She also was well used to noise so I didn't have to tiptoe about when she was sleeping.

Glad you are enjoying it - especially being slummy mummy. 10.15 I'm still in my dressing gown!!:thumbup:

Great , especially since hes fine on exactly his due date :thumbs up:

Thats fantastic that he's finally home - its funny, preemies hate the dark! lol! Mind you I'm a total goth now and I was born at 29 weeks!

:happydance: Well Done Andrew :happydance:. He has done so fantasticly well, what a journey you have had. Welcome home Andrew :flower:. You have such a fantastic time ahead of you :happydance:

Marleysgirl, what fantastic news, you must be so relieved and excited to have him home! Is he keeping you on your toes? Your little boy is adorable and I am sooo pleased he is home now where he belongs, enjoy being a family x

Come on......look, I know you're busy but......how y'all doin? I'm so impatient for an udate!

yeah me too and we need some new picts!

We're doing just fine ...

We were sent home with instructions to feed Andrew 60ml EBM every four hours, waking him if necessary. Well, that got knocked on the head on the first day as, if we woke him, he wasn't sufficiently alert to attempt BF first; plus he shouted for more at his 11pm feed and wouldn't settle without a second bottle. So now we've switched to demand-feeding, he's taking about five feeds a day, success on the breast is variable (he just had a good session) and letting him have as much EBM as he wants by bottle - so long as it adds up to the same 360ml/day. He's being a piggy and taking more! And he's happier.

The nurse said he was a little cool at Saturday's temperature check, so he's now under layers and layers of blankets and wearing a hat indoors. He checked out fine today. All those tables of "if it's 18 degrees he needs a sheet and two blankets" ?? Pah. More like a folded flannel sheet and about four layers of blankets.

Taking him to the Post Office and Tescos tomorrow - woohoo! My life is just so exciting.

Oh, and no watching In The Night Garden or other children's stuff. The first television programme he's shown interest in? Red Dwarf. I'm soooooo proud of him :D

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Tigsteroonie/Baby/P1020836.jpg

He's gorgeous hun, how much does he weigh now??

awww he's such a cutie! sounds like he likes his food and is settling in at home just fine! Congrats again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->