Antenatal expression of colostrum

MrsWatson

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm expecting #2 in July, and after failing to bf my DD1, I am ready everything I can about bf to prepare.

With DD1, my midwife got my handpumping and collecting expressed colostrum in a syringe, and I've read that this can be done from 37 weeks and stored in teh freezer.

Has anyone done this? I thought it might help.

I did it :flower:

I have had gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies. Second time around I wanted to be prepared in case baby had low sugars. I expressed into 1ml syringes from 36 weeks.

It was hard work - I didn't have vast amounts of colostrum. But I took in 14ml of frozen colostrum which served me very well. It meant DD2 didn't need formula and I didn't have to hand express in hospital under pressure.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to try it, DD1 wouldn't latch on, which I discovered eventually was becuase of having very short nipples, she went into sleepy baby syndrome, and wouldn't wake to even try and feed, so after 2 hours of hand expressing, we had enough colostrum to stir her enough to try and latch, so I think having a supply in the freezer might come in handy if this is the case again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->