Any 38 week ladies want to buddy up for the last 2 weeks?

Hi Sticky_wishes, i'm glad someone else has joined with a due date close to mine, I thought everybody would abandon me and i'd be the last one to drop, i'm due 16th Jan according to scan date but my dates worked out as 20th Jan.

Your midwife apt is the same as mine too, I go on Monday morning and will almost be 39 weeks, just managed to sneak in early so didn't have to wait the full 2 weeks to see her again, this is my 2nd baby but still don't think he/she has engaged fully yet, still can't breathe very well so think baby is still quite high in my ribs.

You're very brave opting for a home birth, I'm too scared with my 1st baby coming 8 weeks early.

I'm glad you have similar symptoms to me, I keep emptying out daily, sometimes twice a day which to me isn't normal, think this is my body getting ready.

Thanks ladies ... I just cant believe I am so close to the end now I just hope its a quick labor again (only in labor for 2 hours with my son) but for some reason I am really nervous about being in labor at the hospital I would rather labor at home because then I can have a bath when I want and do what I want ... I think I am just generally nervous about the whole thing x

I had an app yesterday and growth scan - estimating weight is 10lbs! I mentioned my symptoms and she offered me a sweep :). I said sure why not! Turns out all the fanny daggers etc do mean something as I was already 2-3cm dilated.
So had a successful sweep and she reckoned I'd go in the next 24 hours, had loads of tightenings and pains, then it stopped overnight and in the morning I've had brown discharge (which I guess is old blood) it shouldn't be too much longer, hoping its not Saturday as its my little boys birthday party...

Thanks for all the kind welcomes!

Fili - Cant believe you are a little dialated already, hope the sweep sets Memo into action!!! DTD, long walks, bounce??? x

Corina - Yes we have each other if everybody pops on time :haha: !!! x

Christians - My mum had v short labours, only 6 hours in total for all 3 of us kids! Hoping i follow in her footsteps!x

Are everyone's babies in good positions?? Mine is head down, back to my right hand side, kicking my left side. MW is v happy with this, and desperately trying my hardest to not slouch and baby go back to back!x

AFM...I just feel much more comfortable at home, my hospital is horrible, and i really want one on one care which i will get at home. Atmosphere will be calm and i can drink tea, watch tv and bounce on my ball! Midwife supplies TENS machine, birth pool, gas n air and pethidene. She can do episiotomies and hospital is only 5 mins drive. So any problems will be found much quicker at home one on one than in my busy 'busting at the seams' hospital! :haha: Im very chilled about the whole thing, i keep telling myself that stress effects muscles and they tense up, so want to be chilled and relaxed. Home birth is definitely not for everyone though!

Plan 'Get baby out' has been set into action!

> DTD last night, so hoping thats helping!
> Starting EPO and RLT tonight
> Ball bouncing
> And remaining as active as ever! Still working a little too, which has me up and down a lot

Tried to have a feel for cervix :blush: :haha: Feels soft but still quite high up...x

Emy we are in the same boat! My baby will be a ten pounder too and the did take me seriously, here's what happened this morning:-

Had a membrane sweep OUCH!! Plan of action is to induce me in a week well week on Monday so that's 2 days after my due date but I have two more sweeps booked for next week NOT looking forward to that. Anyway this means a chance for a natural birth which I'm over the moon with. My cervix is already soft and favourable and I'm 1cm dilated. Period pain is intense now though. An Nhs doctor and consultant studied my case so I'm happy with their verdict. They're not going to let me go over anyway!
Q

Emy 2-3 is fantastic! Is there any reason for your big babba? Mine is prob cos hubs is so big!

Sending hubs out for more RRL tea, :sex: but I don't want to at all and a hot curry tonight. Currently on the birthing ball!

Sticky and home birth ladies it sounds wonderful and lots of research says labour progresses faster at home cos you're comfortable etc, I'm just not brave enough but maybe for my second!!

C's mum are you going to stay at home till last minute - is it 3 contractions in ten minutes? Still don't know what one of these active labour contractions will feel like!!

Thank goodness they listened to you and are taking you serious. I'm still concerned about my baby's weight, I wish Monday would hurry up so I can discuss my concerns with my midwife.

Did you have the sweep at the hospital? can a local midwife also do a sweep? Did it really hurt? Do you have to be at a particular stage in your pregnancy to have a sweep done? Was it the midwife that checked your cervix? did she confirm you was 1cm dilated?

I shouldn't be so impatient but i'm more concerned about my baby's health and just wish he/she would come out now.

I'm glad they've given you a date, at least it gives you something to aim for.

Corina I had to really really push to see a doctor today. Yesterday they said doctors weren't available. The order of events with me were:

37 weeks gp routine appointment said 'You have a big baby'
38 weeks midwife (again just by feeling tummy) 'Your baby is big!'

Funda height only ever a week ahead eg today I was 40 weeks.

Started to worry about big baby cos hubs is 6ft 7 and was a ten pounder and so was his dad. Nhs would not scan us to check size despite my worries... :growlmad:

38 weeks plus me and hubs thought we better go get a private scan - ended up costing 150 quid which makes me mad as Nhs should have done it! Calculated baby weight at 9lbs 9 on wednesday just gone. :shock: placenta function, amniotic fluid etc all perfect.

This morning I had another panic and pestered triage and hospital. I was really firm with them and said I wasn't sleeping because I was so worried. Got out through to the sister who said to go to the day assessment unit. Lady there was wonderful and found a senior doctor for me.

Senior doc looked at the private scan report then consulted a consultant too, put my mind at rest and planned the induction. She offered me a sweep and I jumped at the chance. She said midwives won't do it before 40 weeks it has to be a doc's decision. I lay down on the bed, up went the speculum with loads of lubricant (not too bad I felt very relaxed though as doc was lovely) then she inserts a gloved finger and moves her finger around the sac to lift it away from the cervix, this is supposed to release prostoglandins to trigger labour. It's a pushing uncomfortable feeling more than anything else and instantly brings on mild to medium period pain at different points. It lasts say 40 seconds?? Breathing really helped me. I'm going back for two more next week and again the doc will have to do it but hospitals prob have different policies on that. What makes you think your baby is big? Sorry I'm a bit out of it memory wise! Hope that's helpful Hun. Oh yes, It was this doc who confirmed I was 1 cm and favourable soft cervix which is also still a 'bit long' she said.

Filli - amazing! Very similar experience to me but my pervious pregnancy meant that I was under consultant care so I hot growth scans at 36 and 39 weeks. She did the sweep which was painful but not unbareble (I've had internals previously I'd describe as unbareble). I'm pretty sure midwives can do them before 40 weeks under exceptional circumstances - mw attempted one on me at 38 weeks last time but it was a no go.

My sweep was just lube and fingers, when they were nearly reaching my cervix she got me to push up and sit on my hands to allow her to get the rest of the way. It was quite quick and uncomfortable, I felt very tampered with! I was just getting to the end if my tolerance when she finished.

I just make big babies. In my programming! My first they blamed gestional diabetes but I was only borderline, have escaped it this time completely but this baby seems to be even bigger!

Since sweep I've had cramps, open feeling bits, bloody discharge and intense tightenings on and off for like 30 hours now. Went for a long walk today too, nothing consistent yet. My cervix is soft and favourable so this should work (I hope).

Sounds like you've had quite a day today. Hopefully the sweep will start things moving naturally for you rather than waiting to be induced.

I was plodding along nicely until I went for my 37 week routine midwife apt on 27th December, the midwife had a feel of my tummy and then measured my uterus with a tape measure, 2 weeks previously at 35 weeks pregnant I was measuring 34cm which was fine but then at this apointment I was measuring 38cm at 37 weeks pregnant, she said my uterus had grown 4cm in 2 weeks which made her question the size of the baby.

She said it's either a growth spurt with the baby or it's going to be a big baby, the week previous to this apointment I noticed I'd put on 4lb in weight which alarmed me. She's going to measure me on Monday and see if my uterus has grown any more, she said she may need to refer me to the hospital for a growth scan. It got me a bit worried when she started talking about the baby's head being too big and that might be why the baby hasn't engaged and then she started talking about being induced and a possible c-section if labour doesn't establish on it's own.

I just can't wait for Monday to come, for the last 2 visits i've had some protein detected in my urine but blood pressure has been normal so she ruled out pre-eclampsia but over the last few days my feet have really swelled so now i'm worrying about that.

I just can't wait for this pregnancy to be over. When I had my little boy he was premature and came 8 weeks early, this is like being pregnant for the very first time, I only got to 32 weeks and then started leaking amniotic fluid and then my waters just went with a sudden gush, I didn't even get contractions, they had to put me on a drip to start my contractions off. This time around it's really scary which is why I ask so many questions, it's nice to talk to people going through the same kind of scenario.

:hug: corina it's really scary being up in the air and not knowing, I really think you should get a scan. If its any consolation they didnt see it as too big a deal i was having a big baby but I personally think it should be monitored. Ha! What are the chances of three of us having big babies on here?!

No symptoms here. I've had a funny day, feel quite down and I don't know why.

I had a day like that this week, I felt really down - I felt ok the next day though, so I put it down to hormones. Our bodies are going through something pretty big - so I figured I was probably feeling out of sorts as a result of that.

I hope you feel better today hun.

:hugs: I had a couple of days like this last week- think it was because I had stopped work and running around so ended up finding myself things to do to keep busy. Hope you feel better- just think not long to go now!

Good luck ChristiansMum for you induction today- hope it all goes well :flower:

Darkstar me too! Including today. I have been crying this morning :cry: :hug:

Good luck c's mum!!

Good luck for today Christiansmum, looking forward to reading an update from you :thumbup:

Phew so glad its not just me. I've been weepy and low. I'm going to head to bed for a (hopefully) good sleep and cross fingers tomorrow is a better day.

Good luck Christians Mum!

I think we are all in the same boat, the hormones have us all over the place at the moment. I personally dont know whether Im coming or going!!?

Anyways, I had my 39 week routine MW appointment yesterday morning and was sent to hospital again for a presentation scan! It seems that whenever a MW gets a feel of my tummy, they cant differentiate between a bum and shoulders! But given the fact that she had been in the job for 37 years, I trusted her instinct and off we went to hospital for a quick scan. Sure enough, baby was still head down, almost fully engaged but turned to the side. MW at hospital offered me a sweep whilst I was there.... not likely to refuse was I? :)

She did attempt the sweep, said she couldnt complete it fully due to cervix still being a little high but said it was very soft and favorable and that she could feel baby's head. That was good enough for me!

I though baby might have been here whilst I was still a year younger, but its not to be! Today, I turn 38 and just hope for the best birthday wish... to go in to labour!! I still dont think she will be born until tomorrow though... I am still waiting to see if my gut instinct about the 6th is right!

Hope you all have a lovely relaxing day and that all goes well for your induction C's Mum xx

Happy Birthday Mrs A, I hope you get the best birthday present ever - your baby. xxxx

Good luck with the induction today Christians mum, we all look forward to hearing from you soon.

I don't really have any symptoms this morning, my little boy let me have a nice lie in, seemed to sleep a little better last night but still kept having to turn over due to stiffness. My feet were really painful just before bed, they are hot and swollen and last night were really itchy.

I took a shower this morning and decided to take a look down below just out of curiosity, you all keep talking about your cervix being soft and favourable, what does this actually mean? I had to get a mirror to look though, i've not been able to see downstairs for quite some time. I was very shocked, I knew I had varicose vains down there and have had since being 24 weeks pregnant but looking at them today it looks like my insides have fell out and are now on the outside, sorry for TMI, it really grossed me out and it bothers me with the way my bits look especially when I'm going to have an audience soon!

Well I didn't really know what I was looking for so gave up poking and prodding.

How's everyone's symptoms today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->