Any names you love that everyone else hates?

MTBofFour

Reaction score
So my 7 month old and third childs name is Laela (lay-la) which is a persian name that means "dark beauty" and when I first brought it up my husband liked it but he hadnt fallen for it yet. Then he goes and tells my mil about the name and of course she hated it so he immediately joined the dark side. (Star Wars reference) Then after a subsequent week of nagging and pouting on my part he decided to clear his mind of the spell he was under and reconsider. Now her name is Laela Grace and she is insanely beautiful with huge hazel eyes and dark brown hair and the creamiest complexion ever. Her name definitely suits her and I'm glad I stuck to my guns. Now we are on baby number four and I have a boy and girl name.picked out and my hubby likes the girl name but not the boy name. My boy name is Leo and my girl name is Lily Rose. I love the name Leo (just Leo not Leopold or Leonardo or anything) but my husband hates it. I have yet to find a middle name I want to use with it but I will. Are there or were there any baby names you were head over heels for that everyone else hated with a fiery passion?

I loved Joliet for a boy (nickname Joel) but everyone hates it :cry:

also quite like Jovi but everyone though it was stupid :cry:

for a daughter I like a boys name but im sick of opinions so screw them im not telling them lol

I have a huge list of girls names that I love and just about everyone else hates :(

Amelie bijou was the big one. I love love love that name but everyone else in the family hates it.

We like Benjamin (shortened to Ben or Benji if we like) and all OH family say its a horrid name. Not that I care what they think! :haha: it's my baby, my choice!

I love Ophelia, but OH hates it and everyone reminds me that she went crazy and drowned herself in "Hamlet". It's still a beautiful name though, I think.

I love the name Mina like Mina Harker from Dracula. That is a beautiful name but everyone else hates it. I personally believe that its the parents choice in naming their child. My husband and I were the only ones who chose names for our children. Ophelia is a beautiful name, I've got hamlet on my bookshelf and who cares if she drowned herself. Possibly every name there has been used in a book or movie and lord knows what that character did. Is everyone gonna stop naming their sons Jack because of Jack The Ripper? I dont think so. So there haha just had to get that out. Now could someone explain what OH and all those little things mean?

OH - other half
DH - dear husband
DS - dear son
DD - dear daughter
MIL - mother in law

ect...

We're having another girl but first time round I really liked Eden. Told a few family members and they hated it, screwed up their faces etc.

We eventually went with Phoebe (which we still get some odd looks for!!)

This time round I really fell for Teigan but OH has kind of changed his mind.

I asked him about Eden again and he's happy so I know we're going to get some looks, raised eyebrows etc but I really love it and think I'd always be disappointed if I didn't go with it. xx

We're having another girl but first time round I really liked Eden. Told a few family members and they hated it, screwed up their faces etc.
I love Eden. I'm such an atheist though, and people know it, and they say how weird it is that I want to use a religious name. But in my mind it's a beautiful name. I also love the name Joseph, and Maria (Spanish version of Mary); but what; I can't use them just because they feature in a religion I'm not a part of? :shrug:

Ugghhh... yes, I have names that everyone else hates.

Arwen - From Lord of the Rings It would be a joke to even bring it up to DH. I guess I will have to just settle on naming a cat that or something... lol...

Luca - I don't know WHY DH hates it so much. I am Italian and I think it is a great little Italian boy's name. I really really really love it, too. :(

We have our names picked out, though. We aren't telling anyone to spare everyone comments, etc. It makes everyone nuts!

I am religious but I dont necessarily identify myself with any particular religion so I am nondenominational. But even with you being an athiest I dont thing there is anything wrong with using religious names, they're just names. Eden is beautiful. Arwen is not something I would use but that is just me. Luca is nice though, now I'd be more likely to use Luke but thats because I like it.

Arwen is not something I would use but that is just me. Luca is nice though, now I'd be more likely to use Luke but thats because I like it.

LOL... Arwen is not the taste of most people. I accept that it is pretty out there!

P.S., Eden was on our consideration list. It's beautiful.

I really wanted Phoebe for my last daughter, I absolutely loved the name and still do, but DH hates it with a passion and was adament we wouldnt name her it :growlmad:

I love the name Pheobe but my DH would never go for it. I also like Piper, I'm a big fan of Charmed haha! Also probably a contributing factor to why I like the name Leo so much as well.

I went through a phase in my pregnancy where I loved a certain name; it was short lived because everyone stomped all over it.

The name was Mable. I still think its so cute!

Wilhemina was totally on my shortlist. I like it.

I love the name Mina like Mina Harker from Dracula. That is a beautiful name but everyone else hates it. I personally believe that its the parents choice in naming their child. My husband and I were the only ones who chose names for our children. Ophelia is a beautiful name, I've got hamlet on my bookshelf and who cares if she drowned herself. Possibly every name there has been used in a book or movie and lord knows what that character did. Is everyone gonna stop naming their sons Jack because of Jack The Ripper? I dont think so. So there haha just had to get that out. Now could someone explain what OH and all those little things mean?

See I thought Wilhemina was pretty but a little old fashioned for me so I had just wanted to use Mina the shortened version. I love love love it! My next girl will be Lily Rose but if I were ever to have another I'd put my foot down and her namr will be Mina. And my next boy name is Leo but if I were ever to have another boy after that his name will be Dimitri no ifs ands or buts about it! I love Dimitri its such a strong romantic name. It puts me in mind of anastasia which is a delightful movie. And Tatiana I like that name as well but I could never use it, my name is Tiana and its way to close to use for one of my girls :(

I really like Sage, Leif and Fox for a boy but everyone else hates them, boo! DH said we could have Fox for a girl but I think of it a a boys name (even though to most people it isn't really a name lol). I love Mabel but DH doesn't like it at all and everyone is politely indifferent (meaning they hate it too lol)

I love Eden. I'm such an atheist though, and people know it, and they say how weird it is that I want to use a religious name. But in my mind it's a beautiful name. I also love the name Joseph, and Maria (Spanish version of Mary); but what; I can't use them just because they feature in a religion I'm not a part of? :shrug:

I don't necessarily think of eden as a religious name. People can pick up on the reference if they want but I just love the name. I'm not religious in the slightest hehe so we won't be naming her for that reason.

You should be able to go with whatever name you wish xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->