Any older prems still around?

My little sister was a 34 week preemie 20 years ago. She went home after 4 days (I was 6, I don't remember much!). She is in her second year of college, doing great, she ended up being the tallest and most fit (so far) of all of us kids, she has better eyesight and straighter teeth than either one of us term kids, and she's taller. She's brilliant and the most kind, considerate, caring, and responsible 20 year old I know. She suffered no delays AFAIK (we were homeschooled though!) She did stay an extra year in high school, but only to care for our mother who was ill and passed away her senior year. I know she was a later preemie, but care was not what it is nowadays either. I don't think she turned out any different than any term babies!

My lil one was born at 29 weeks in June 2010 due to incompetent cervix.. Shes perfect.. No problems what so ever! Thank god x glad to see all are doing good too

My lo was born at 35 weeks and had a few issues when he was born but now he is 2 yr old and no one would know about his rocky start as he has good health and doesn't stop talking!

My Little one is now 18 months. She was born at 34 Weeks exactly and only weighed 3lb 7 due to iugr. She's doing really well. Sat at 7 months, crawlled at 11 months and was walking at 13 months despite me constantly worrying. She has about 50 Words and is really busy. Still a nightmare to get to sleep in the night though :coffee:

This is an old thread but thought might bring it back to the surface my daughter Rosalie was born at 34 weeks but was a tiny 3lb 3oz she is 5 now. its crazy how time flies! her development hasnt been spot on its doing ok and she takes devdepmental leaps .though although socially she is still behind her peers. She is a bright little girl but she does have quite a significant language disorder with receptive and expressive language. shes also being assesed for ASD . shes an awesome little girl x

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 5
My 30 weeker DS1 has pretty much hit all his milestones within a week or two of his peers (occasionally beating them). Have his 2 year check up next week and I'm sure he'll be signed off. I think it depends on the child. Xx

It's such a long time since I have looked in on this site so I was happy when I saw this thread! So nice to hear how old friends are getting on!

Millie was born at 26+3

Millie will be six in August! She is in mainstream school. We delayed her start to school for twelve months as we felt very strongly that she was not ready to start when she was four. Socially she is doing amazingly well, the teacher said she is definitely one of the most popular girls, they all want to play with her!

She has full time support as her learning is slower than her peers. She quite often gets taken away from the class to work on differentiated material. In phonics for instance the rest of the reception are now on two and occasional three word sounds, but we are still trying to master the basic single letter sounds. We will get there though!

Numbers and counting are a challenge for Millie, but again, with patience and plenty of practice I'm pretty sure she will get there eventually.

Her speaking and eating are the two biggest obstacles we've yet to overcome. Millie has great difficulty in producing some sounds and as a result her speech is often indecipherable. Most of the time my husband and I can understand her, but I think at school etc she sometimes has problems being understood. In classroom situations she can sometimes be reluctant to speak at all. She would never volunteer to answer a question in front of the class. She often does not even want to speak to her class teacher and if her teacher asks her a question she looks up at her learning support assistant waiting for her to answer. The school have been really good, when she does speak in class she gets a certificate!

Eating is tricky, she only eats a few things and will not entertain trying new things. She will not eat anything wet! She continues to follow the 0.4 th centile which she has been on for about four years so she might be a dot but at least she is a consistent one!

She is great fun, loves pretend play, loves to sing, baking, stories, dollies and riding her bike. She is doing amazingly well, we are sooooo proud of her, but we still have work to do!

Hi sherry. my little girl is also quite small and petite for her age. I was told to just kind of expect it from when she was born though. she is still comfortably in 4-5 clothing and she was 5 in january!

like your daughter she is not without her struggles but I think they will get there in the end!

little update - they have dropped the asd testing as they do not believe she is on the spectrum but that her language difficulty affects her socially

Hi Sherry! Thanks for updating. My son (only 2 now) is in the 0.35 percentile for weight, and has always been really low. I'm glad to hear how your daughter is doing well, despite being smaller! (DS was only a 33 weeker though, he's just really small!)

Did just want to update, my little sister (who was a 34 week preemie back in the mid-90s) has been doing great at college, 4.0 every year :D So proud of her.

DS (33 week) is 2, he is doing excellently. He had a language explosion shortly after his birthday and it's been amazing to see how well he can communicate. We potty trained him early at 18 months and he was still having fairly frequent accidents until right about the time of his language explosion, and he has hardly had one since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->