Any one had a preemie then gone on to have a full term baby next time round

Dottie

Reaction score
I have been researching this and everything seems to say that you are much more likley to have a premmie if you already have one

Evie was a 34 weeker and we are thinking of TTC but I am scared it will happen again

Any one had any experiances of a second one they want to share ?

Im worried about having this one early too tbh. So far everything is ok, the only indication that there could be a problem was with my papp-a levels at my nuchal scan, they were pretty low, which apparently inicates possible placental issues or premature birth. Funnily enough my baby Evie was born at 34 weeks exactly too and was in NICU and SCBU for just under 3 weeks :wacko:. xx

I think it depends on the reason the baby was premature.

My consultant reckons there is no reason I can't go full term next time round as Abby didn't come early, that had to go in to get her because I was bleeding.

Did you get a chance to talk to your consultant after the first one? If not, they may meet with you now to discuss your concerns.

I have done a ton of research on this subject myself, as we would like to have another baby. I have found both sides, some have a repeat preemie and some go on to full term. But it really depends on the cause of the premature labor. Even something like infection is risky just because they cannot always tell if you had an infection to start with or developed one as a result of say your water breaking and infection gets in..(I had an infection when I had my son at 24 weeks).

A lot of the time they dont know why women go into premature labor, that's the scary part for me.

I thankfully know the cause of my premature labor, infection and scar tissue. I was told I shouldn't even been able to carry Lakai to 24 weeks due to the scarring. Thankfully Ive since had it removed. So I should be ok.

I think in the end having another baby after one preemie is a huge leap of faith.

Good luck! :hugs:

It really depends on if you know the reason for your preemie. I could never have a full term baby because i have a heart shaped uterus... but if it was the result of a thinning cervix, or something that can be fixed, you shoudl be fine. I have a friend that we met in when our preemies were int he NICU that had her baby 3 months early... She just (2 months ago) gave birth to a full term baby... she actually had to be induced! So, it's very possible!

i hope so, it's one of the things i just couldn't cope with.

Hi,

Although every pregnancy is different I just wanted to add a positive story.

My sister gave birth to my beautiful niece at 32 weeks. She had been going into labour since 30 weeks. It's not known why she had her daughter so early but I'm glad to say she's now a lively, too smart, but totally gorgeous nearly eight year old.

In 2007 my sister fell pregnant again. She was under consultant care throughout her pregnancy but had no problems. Her son arrived 5 days late in May 2008.

Good luck to you all. Your babies are the most beautiful little fighters. :hugs:

I am so glad someone brought this up on a thread, my little boy was premature and they have told me that the chances are higher of a having a prem again if we have more, I do want more children, it worries me as we were lucky with our first that we had relatively no complications but we might not be so lucky next time. To make things worse I have since had LLETZ procedure which weakens the cervix and so makes you more prone to prem birth!! I know that there is lots that they can do these days but it doesn't stop you worrying!

A lot of the time they dont know why women go into premature labor, that's the scary part for me.
One of the interesting things we discussed with a consultant is, apparently they don't know why any woman goes into labour. Why do some go early and some go late and some bang on time? There appears to be absolutely no known trigger. Of course this just makes it all the more difficult to tell when it comes to premature babies.

Good point Foo!

My mum had me at 29 weeks but then that was c section because she was bleeding due to cord entanglement. The rest were fine and late.

my waters went at 34 weeks and she arrived less than 24 hours later,

don't know why she was early and never got a chance to discuss it with anyone at the time

Is it standard proceedure to give you consultant led care the next time round ?

Evie was also breech, and suffered from DDH a hip condition which is more likley again the second time round which is playing on my mind too

I guess its a case just see what happens

Hi Dottie
Poppy was born at 34 weeks too and no one ever told me the reason why. I strongly suspect it was because I had a loop biopsy a few years ago which has weakened my cervix.

I am pregnant again :happydance: but am very worried about this baby also being prem and having to be in SCBU. Or even of me having to go on bed rest early on or something (how exactly does that work with a toddler?!)

Had my booking in appt the other week and they are getting me in for an early(ish) scan on Wednesday, more to discuss my 'care plan' than anything else.

It sounds like they will monitor me more closely and I will get cervical scans during the pregnancy. I will update this thread after I see the consultant on Weds. :hugs:

I am pregnant again :happydance:
Congratulations! Fingers crossed the bun will stay in the oven for longer this time!
Is it standard proceedure to give you consultant led care the next time round ?
I don't know if it is standard procedure, but I would certainly demand it if I were you. They should at the very least, keep a closer eye on you, but I don't know how well they will do that if you don't keep reminding them of it.

Hi Dottie
Poppy was born at 34 weeks too and no one ever told me the reason why. I strongly suspect it was because I had a loop biopsy a few years ago which has weakened my cervix.

I am pregnant again :happydance: but am very worried about this baby also being prem and having to be in SCBU. Or even of me having to go on bed rest early on or something (how exactly does that work with a toddler?!)

Had my booking in appt the other week and they are getting me in for an early(ish) scan on Wednesday, more to discuss my 'care plan' than anything else.

It sounds like they will monitor me more closely and I will get cervical scans during the pregnancy. I will update this thread after I see the consultant on Weds. :hugs:

Toby was born at 35 weeks and I have since had a loop biopsy so I am pretty worried about having another... Was there anything they could do when you were preg knowing that you had had that done previously?

With Poppy the whole loop biopsy thing wasn't even mentioned whilst I was pregnant, it was only after she was prem that it was given as a possible reason.

Saw the doctor at my scan yesterday and she didn't seem concerned in the slightest. She said the majority of women who have prem babies go into early labour for absolutely no reason and go on to have term babies with no problems. She said a few go into early labour becasue of an infection and 'very few' becasue of a weakened cervix. She said she 'doubted' that I had Poppy early due to that reason but all they would do is scan my cervix at 16 weeks to check for shortening. :shrug:

I had my 3rd preemie 41/2 months ago, my first 2 were 35 weekers and 3rd a 33 weeker. There is no known reason why my babies keep coming early but they seem to be getting earlier, my 3rd started coming at 24 weeks. We want a 4th and final child but after last time im nervous even though we have a lot of support. Im 26 btw and totally fit and healthy:shrug:

Just wanted to say that I had my first son at 31 weeks - I had been feeling not myself since the 24 week mark; very heavy and tired and lots of Braxton Hicks, then at 29 weeks I had a slight show and was rushed to hospital to find I was contracting every 3 mins (painlessly) so was put on ritodrin to stop the contractions. I stayed in hospital until my waters spontaneously broke at 31 weeks when I had Sam. He was in Special Care for 5 weeks and is now a strapping 17 yr old lad! My second son Henry was born after my waters spontaneously ruptured at 34 weeks. I had been signed off work since 24 weeks as I felt the same as my first pregnancy, but my midwife and doctor did not take my concerns seriously. Henry is a healthy 11 yr old. My third sone Archie was born at just 37 weeks, spontanous rupture of waters again, completely healthy, but this time I was cervically scanned and under the care of the Consultant. He is a healthy 5 yr old. And now I am expecting baby no 4 at the end of May 2010 and the hospital is keeping a very close eye on me indeed as there has been no reason for premature delievery of my 3 children, however I will mention that with the last one the hospital said I had a slight temperature (pyrexia) when I came in so maybe that was the reason there.
So as we speak I have not had a term baby after 3 deliveries but with no.4 I live in hope (but it's not hopeful for someone with my history, is it)!!

My water broke @ 24 weeks and I'm still at the hospital on bedrest. I'm also curious to know if this will happen to me again in future pregnancies. I'm so terrified I doubt I'll even attempt to have another child. I've heard that woman with previous preterm children are more likely to have another preterm delivery. But its not 100% that it will happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->