Any other obese/morbidly obese bumps out there?

Im big, size 22 before conception, But you know what I HATE? these midwives who imply that I sit on my fat arse all day eating cake! Im quite sick of the midwives that try to get me to see a dietician, I eat very healthy, fruit and veg every day, and hardly any crap, I work 12 hr shifts, doing a very challenging and physical job, plus im quite muscly too. But because im big, that must mean im unhealthy yes? NO ...ooooh gets me mad. :growlmad:

My bmi is very high, but on baby number 5, with having 4 straight forward pregnancies, and my babies popped out like skittles (bar my first, it took a bit more effort for the pushing)

This pregnancy I've had a bleed this week (17wks) so feeling very worried, even though my blood tests look good.

Hope you are all well x

The worst is during pregnancy when you have to talk to the anethetist incase you need an epidural, you basically get told that because you are bigger you will not have a normal birth, it will be harder work, your more likely to need forceps or other assistance, maybe even a cesarian.

Rubbish!

My birth could not have been more straight forward.
Yes my blood pressure went up, but what do you expect I was pushing a baby out!! Bloods were sent in case it was pre-e but all was fine.
I gave birth to my daughter with just gas and air on the build up to puching, only a few puffs as I didnt find it worked, Then no pain management with just 30 minutes pushing, she was back to back but turned last minute ... we did it un aided. Made me feel great that I proved them wrong.

Congratulations. Such a cutie!

Quick question ladies. I have been advised to try and not gain weight in my pregnancy. Does this mean the weight of me plus the baby, or the weight of me alone?

I am trying not to gain weight and I have lost 21 pounds since falling pregnant and I am 20 weeks. I think that as long as you are eating healthily, whatever happens should be fine!

Thanks for the positive birth story Mrs B!! I get so worried that I won't be 'allowed' a normal birth.....

Its refreshing to find a post about being overweight that actually has women who are overweight cos most are from women that think size 14 is big. My bmi i think is around 38, im 5'7 (not sure weight) size 22 jean. I hate my weight and managed to lose just over 40lb (i did give birth) before conceiving baby 3, 18lb was fat the rest was baby and water. I hate being over weight and worry i am a dissapointment to my children, we didnt expect baby 3 to happen so soon, i wanted to slim down a lot more first. Think im jibbeerin on now so gonna shut up but glad i found this post.

OK so what's up with all the talk of midwives? I dont have one. Is it by choice? What do they do? Do u still have doctor appointments? I never knew nothing about that

I have a BMI of 37 only have to see a consultant at about 28 weeks and that about it so far my MW was fine about it. Im a 14/16 uk, im 5ft 4" and since becoming pregnant ive lost 1.5st not through trying but i have hypermesima and also got Gastric Flu. My MS is still hear so still loosing too.

what i dont get is last time i had a bmi of 35 i was about .5 of a stone heavier when i got pregnant the first time so how come my BMI is now higher - do i believe its a load of bollocks yes yes i do.

Aww, look at all these beautiful bumps and babies! :) I can't believe it has taken me this long to pop back in here! I really enjoyed this thread earlier this year. :) hehe

Anyway, hope all the new ladies are doing well. I've lost 60 pounds since having my daughter, so a total of 160 pounds down from the 530-ish I was in early 2011. By far, I was the biggest bump on here and so ashamed. Now I am looking back on a beautiful (if bumpy) journey and feel full, and rich, and strong.

Enjoy the pregnancy ladies! It is such a joyful time of life!<3

Wow so many positive and lovely stories!

The midwife/doctor thing is a uk/north America thing. The normal person leading care in different countries has a different job title and qualification.

Thanks for the clarification. So far I've lot 7lbs since my ten week week appt, which was my first appt. My main aim is to stay below a bmi of 40, its currently 37, as the doctor I had to see said they try and push constant fetal monitoring on you at my hospital and I really want an active birth.

Hi all

I have an appointment next week with a consultant due to my bmi being 35, this will be my 5th LO and have never had this problem before so im not sure what to expect at this appointment next week, im dreading them preaching to me about healthy eating as I eat very healthy anyway and im also very active with 4 little boys to run around after.

What is likely to happen at this appoinment? Thank you xx

Mine was a huge waste of time. They didn't even weigh me. They basically checked I was taking aspirin, took my blood pressure, tried and failed to listen to the baby, did a 5 second scan to see baby was still there, and then said 'don't gain any weight, eat healthy and try and go on walks, and come back at 34 weeks'. Basically it was like a midwifed appt but less in depth.

Got to love PP pictures...so here's mine :D First Picture is Day of C-Section at 39w2d. Second and third is 5 days pp...just couldn't tell if you'd be able to see the one that is darker...
Haven't weighed myself to see how much I've lost yet...but I go in Monday to get my staples out and I'm sure they will weigh then...

Attachments

• day of csection.jpg
    day of csection.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5pp.jpg
    5pp.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5pp 1.jpg
    5pp 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 12
Hey Ladies. I don't think I have updated here in awhile. I am 30 weeks pregnant now. I had my GD test and failed the 1 hour test but passed the 3 hour test. I have appts every 2 weeks now. I had one yesterday and he said my blood pressure was a little high, but no protein in urine...so we are just going to watch it. I started out @ 268lbs and am up to 307lbs! :cry: But my doctor has not said a word and I am not considered high risk. I count my blessings for having such a great doctor. All in all I am pretty done with being preggo! I am ready to meet him already! oh and we have a 4D ultrasound on Monday! I hope the pictures look ok! I have heard horror stories about not being able to see anything because of being overweight!

I have a high bmi, but this is my 6th baby and i have diabetes none of my babys have evern been affected by my wieght or diabetes, unfortunallyi have other problems which cause problems xx

Hi ladies,

I am a plus size girl (size 16, which I think is a UK 18?) and this is my second baby. I did have high blood pressure with my daughter (which may or may not have been related to my weight), but no complications other than that.
I just had my second prenatal appointment yesterday and was literally berated by the doctor about my weight. She even made big round arm movements to illustrate how huge I am. I'm not THAT big, it was so unnecessary. I expected a little lecture on my weight, since I know I am too big (BMI is 33 I think) but she went on and on, to the point where I started to cry, and then she continued. I told her that I'd gained 60lbs with my daughter, and worked very hard to lose it all, and wasn't planning on letting that happen again. I was committed to being healthier and more active this time around, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Has anyone else been made to feel like this?? I could understand this more if I'd gained a lot during this pregnancy, but so far (and I know it's still early) I have LOST 2 pounds.
I left the appointment crying, it was awful.
Other than the fact that I am overweight, I am perfectly healthy. Just 3 months ago, I had a full physical done, complete with bloodwork, and everything came back perfect. That was all noted in my chart, along with the fact that I lost a couple of pounds. But it made no difference!
Sorry for the rant...I just need support from ladies who might understand what it's like. :(

Hi ladies,

I am a plus size girl (size 16, which I think is a UK 18?) and this is my second baby. I did have high blood pressure with my daughter (which may or may not have been related to my weight), but no complications other than that.
I just had my second prenatal appointment yesterday and was literally berated by the doctor about my weight. She even made big round arm movements to illustrate how huge I am. I'm not THAT big, it was so unnecessary. I expected a little lecture on my weight, since I know I am too big (BMI is 33 I think) but she went on and on, to the point where I started to cry, and then she continued. I told her that I'd gained 60lbs with my daughter, and worked very hard to lose it all, and wasn't planning on letting that happen again. I was committed to being healthier and more active this time around, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Has anyone else been made to feel like this?? I could understand this more if I'd gained a lot during this pregnancy, but so far (and I know it's still early) I have LOST 2 pounds.
I left the appointment crying, it was awful.
Other than the fact that I am overweight, I am perfectly healthy. Just 3 months ago, I had a full physical done, complete with bloodwork, and everything came back perfect. That was all noted in my chart, along with the fact that I lost a couple of pounds. But it made no difference!
Sorry for the rant...I just need support from ladies who might understand what it's like. :(

I am sorry that your doctor is an absolute JERK. That behavior is inexcusable. I started out in the 40's for my BMI when I became pregnant. I got a friendly chat from the doctor that since I started out large and had back surgery a couple of months prior to becoming pregnant, I need to watch what I eat. She gave several suggestions like eating granola bars and drinking milk. I didn't get the obvious "don't eat a gallon of ice cream every day" lecture. I have lost 35 pounds since finding out I am pregnant, so that has probably spared me a lot of the grief, but even with that, I still have a higher BMI than what you have! I have been super lucky because I have no cravings and baby seems to love fruits and raw veggies. She dislikes meat as much as she likes her plants. :wacko: I think that you are still "allowed" to gain a little more than I am. I was told that 15 pounds of weight gain should be my goal, aiming to just maintain my weight until the last couple weeks of second trimester, and to gain about a pound a week in the final trimester. So far I have been on par with that and perhaps that is the reason I have been able to avoid lectures. I am very careful about what I eat because I am always concerned about my back that is still healing from surgery. I think that you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work! :hugs:

Yes they went on at me so much I bought up a word. Utter discrimination at them, they will soon shut up ;-)

Thanks ladies :)
The clinic I go to has 10 different doctors. This one is only in on Mondays, so I've changed my appointments to Fridays, and will not see her now. The only bad thing is that if she happens to be on call when I go into labour, she'll be delivering my baby and I'll have no choice. But I think I can deal with that.
She just made me feel like the biggest pile of crap, even after I defended myself and assured her that I wasn't planning on eating terribly and gaining tons of weight. It was just so unnecessary.

Aw, peanut, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

The first OB I saw this time at 12 weeks kind of prodded me to bring up my weight. I'm glad she did, though, because she provided me with 2 medical articles of studies that were done that show there are many benefits and no cons to obese women (I'm a US size 16) losing (a reasonable amount) or maintaining weight while pregnant (which means I officially have no excuse to gain any weight at all!)! I gained 40 pounds with my first and didn't lose any of it after (I had ppd and binging issues after she was born). This time I've gained 2 pounds so far. I WILL be keeping my gain to under 10 pounds. My actual goal is to lose 10 pounds but the longer I procrastinate on making time to exercise daily, the more out of reach that goal is becoming.:dohh:

But I'm well aware I'm overweight and I don't mind a good open honest HELPFUL (key word) discussion about it. I lost 80 pounds before becoming pregnant the first time. Really disgusted with myself that I managed to maintain my weight from 41 weeks pregnant with #1 (which means I gained about 15lbs worth of fat) the entire year before getting pregnant again. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->