• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any plus size ladies looking to minimise weight gain?

I've been kayaking before, but it was always on a pretty calm river or on a no-wake lake (and not in a year or three). I haven't been kayaking on the rough river before.

Someone I know recommended that I get a stand to use for my bike that turns it into a stationery bike that I can use year round for training. I'll have to figure out if I'll actually use it or not, since they aren't cheap.

Stationary bikes are fun, but to be honest I found it kind of uncomfortable to lean forward once my bump got a little big. They say it can be bad for the back as the bump starts to weight more. Recumbent was better, but then it started to feel like my legs came up too much and crowded my bump. So, now I just stick to aqua spin, which gives me my bike fix and is all the fun of being in the pool :D Classes aren't that expensive, probably could do it a bunch for less than the cost of the stationary conversion kit.

Speaking of aqua spin, I made it back to the gym for the first time in ... I'm not even sure how long, a month, maybe longer. It was great! I went early and did some strength training before I got in the pool. There are soooo many weight machines I used to do I can't use any more, I pretty much just stuck to working my arms. But it was satisfying. And the aqua spin class was great! I'm going to try to go back again next week. I might try to take other pool classes too. It was so wonderful being in the water. I felt like I could do anything, unlike on land these days. But, wow was I hungry afterwards! lol

edit - looked it up in my calendar, it had been TWO MONTHS since I was at the gym last! yikes! I'm really glad I went back today.

New girls - welcome :)

Uni - well done for going back to the gym! GOOD FOR YOU!

I am good. Summer holidays started, so am looking after my 2 boys full time.
Bubba is good - it's a girl :cloud9:

Belly is growing, but not overly so.

23 weeks and 4/5 kgs weight gain, which I think is ok. Must keep it under control for the rest of the pregnancy :)

Don't do any exercise really... But still keep my eating healthy.

Wombat, only 4 or 5 kgs without exercise and just diet is AMAZING! I really admire your willpower

Congrats on finding out she's a girl :) So happy for you!

Hello everyone!

I'm up a whopping 7kgs so far (15lbs?), I only have 2 more kg to go before my recommended max gain. I put on 3kg instantly when I started the GD diet because ironically I had to UP my carbs haha.

I have so many appointments it's ridiculous, I have my usual with the midwife every 2 weeks, then I see a consultant at the hospital, a diabetes nurse and a dietician. This week I also had pre-op assessment for my scheduled c-section.

I'm walking way less, maybe 2 days a week compared to 5, but it hurts too much. I'm under 5 feet tall and baby is measuring a couple of weeks ahead in weight.

One bonus to being so well monitored is growth scans, I have one at 35 weeks and another at 37 weeks yay.

Today I'm doing lots of walking so hopefully I can manage.

Minties, all those scans are nice, aren't they? I'm looking forward to it, as they start having me come in more and more often. I got offered a second job recently, I had to turn down because soon enough it'll be like going to the doctor appointments will be my second job lol

I think you're doing amazing on the weight gain! Especially considering you've been dealing with blood sugar issues and pelvic pain. Have you tried a support belt yet? I found that really helpful. But, I've pretty much given up on walking for now because I have to go so slow lol Haven't completely decided what to replace it with yet. Let me know if you come up with anything!

@minties: only 7 kg is AMAZING!

@Uni tsi: you've been doing amazing also, don't stop now!

I have finally accepted that I have put on 5 lbs (about 2.3 kg). I am 24 weeks 3 days today, and only barely out of my regular trousers, so I have decided to take it in stride! I am still walking 5+ day a week, one mile each morning with the dog and Hubster. I am trying to get back on regular exercise - did one workout last week and a 40 minute cardio-pace resistance workout today. I get my GD screening in about three weeks at my next midwife appointment, which I am still very nervous about. I have a lot of diabetics in my family and a lifetime of weight issues that I am hoping do not cause a problem. It's part of what's motivating me to keep as active as possible and to continue to try to keep the carbs as low as possible. TRY... this kid, for sure, has Hubster's sweet tooth and is making me want things I never eat!

I went in last week for an appointment due to spotting g red, and they checked my A1C and TSH levels. My A1C looked great at 5.1, but my TSH was high at 2.7, so they are putting me on Synthroid.

I was thrilled with my A1C level, as the last time I had it checked (a bit over 18 months ago), I was at pre-diabetic levels (6.7, I think). Considering how poor my diet was in the months leading up to the wedding due to being a stress eater (and baker), I am thrilled with 5.1.

@SamerSue: You are in good company. I take 112 mcg of Synthroid daily. Getting your TSH down should also help regulate your A1C, but 5.1 is good! A lot of us have some degree of sugar issues (whether it's insulin resistance, GD, or full diabetes). I know, for me, it's helped to have other ladies to go along with who understand the concerns and are working in healthy ways to keep things well-managed.

I've been so bad about keeping up on BnB due to major transitions at work and general life drama - I meant to tell you from your original post about the swelling that for me, a decent workout keeps it under control. If I don't at least walk the dog each day, I start to swell up. Since I've been trying to do TV aerobics the last few weeks, it's largely not an issue at all. Just a tip!

Part of my appointment last week was an ultrasound, where they found two SCHs. Per the midwife, I'm not to be doing any working out. I can walk, but that's about it. She specifically said no aerobics, no jumping jacks, and also put me on pelvic rest until my next scan (in four weeks). :(

I've found that keeping my feet up during the day (I took a foot stool to the office), drinking plenty of water, and sleeping with a large pillow under my feet (that the cat thinks is for her) helps. I haven't had any major issues with swelling since I started doing that.

Sue, sorry to hear about the SCH. I'm glad you're not on total bedrest and can still walk. Walking is really one of the best forms of pregnancy exercise. The hard part will be the pelvic rest lol

Hopefully, by your follow up appointment, all will be better fx

Walking is still my primary exercise, it's the one thing I do almost every single day. We get a super sad looking puppy dog otherwise and frankly, I can't handle the guilt!

Pelvic rest, especially at this point, I think that would be harder than anything else! I don't think it would have been a big deal in the first trimester, but lately - it would probably make it impossible to focus on anything else :blush:

Hi ladies, please can I join you? I'm 5 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 :) have been following slimming world and have lost nearly 5 stone in the last 7 months, planning on still going to group and hoping to continue to loose for now and then only minimally gain:)

Jazzy, welcome! That's amazing weight loss! I'm really impressed! Slimming world sounds like a great program.

I would advise, based on what my doctor suggested, don't try to lose weight during the first trimester. Just focus on healthy eating and exercise. If it happens, it happens. But maintenance is a better goal. If healthy eating and exercise are the priorities, my experience was that the weight issue takes care of itself. Well, I can't say I really ate healthy during my first trimester, what with morning sickness lol but exercise made a huge difference for me. Has your doctor or midwife offered specific weight gain goals yet? It sounds like your overall plan is a good one, and I can already see you have the willpower to succeed!

Clandestine, I've been awful about walking lately. I feel like I've become a total lump now that I'm in the third trimester. I'm more lethargic than I was during first tri! I should probably think about getting a dog! lol That sounds really helpful. My cats are no use at all lolol

Last week, my weight did not budge. It was the same day after day, to the point where I started to wonder if my scale was broken! Then, I went up 1.5 lbs overnight. At least I know my scale still works :haha: I only have ten weeks left; I think I'm actually going to meet the doctor's recommendation for me fx. No one is more surprised than me!

It's interesting looking back at my bump photos since the beginning. Obviously, my belly is bigger but overall I feel like I look a lot more healthy than I did to begin with. I just hope I can keep going now, and not screw it all up at the end. Between the heat and wanting to sleep 12+ hours a day and eat everything I see, it's really becoming a challenge.

Thanks for the welcome uni :) I'm happy to just go with the flow with my weigh for now but have overall just changed the way I eat so I guess what will be will be! I'm determined to not get into the mindset of eating for 2 though! X

I think that "eating for two" myth gets a lot of ladies in trouble!

I think you only need like an extra sandwich or something a day. I dunno why my stupid brain tells me I'm hungry enough to eat an extra 5 or 6 lunches a day instead haha.

Oh, minties, I totally feel you on "feed me all the sandwiches lately"

I think I'm carrying a little water weight, but as of this AM (at 25+3) was up EIGHT POUNDS (3.63 KG) from ovulation date - after zero weight gain a month ago. I'm sticking to my walking and not panicking, still in range for the 10-22 lbs total gain, but was really hoping to be closer to the ten!

And Uni tsi, we have five cats as well as the dog. They are useless, LOL, just sleep all day (and on you, if you'll let them). The dog gets up with us and we've trained him to expect us to wake up and take him out ASAP to the park, where we do our daily walk (~25 minutes).

Third trimester is right around the corner and my energy is definitely lagging. I actually took a nap midday today (almost an hour), which is super out of character for me. FX I can get moving a bit more this week!

Welcome Jazzy! I agree with the other ladies, maintaining a healthy exercise and diet plan is the best way to go!

Hi ladies :)

I have been feeling ok lately, except for the lack of sleep :( I have to get up 3-6 times a night to pee :( So feel tired all the time.

It has been a great weather here, so went with my boys to the beach, and since feeling physically ok, decided to play a hero and go for the exercises. BIG mistake. Today all my body hurts. Legs, butt, lower belly. Ligaments are definitely not what they used to be.

My doc congratulated me on my little weight gain, although in the last week I have put on 1,5 kgs overnight :dohh: But am still on the right track.

Jazzy - welcome :) I am sure you will do fine with not gaining too much weight with the right eating plan :)

Minties, Clandestine and Uni - I think I am ok NOT eating for two. There are some days when I am feeling starved and some days I have no appetite at all.
I did crave melted cheese sandwiches the other day! And, believe me, I had those :D

Hi ladies, mind if I join you? I am 11 weeks 1 day today.

Long story short, I started at 160lbs before getting pregnant with dd#1 and am currently at 209 with #3... I was at 211 a couple weeks ago but have been very nauseous and having trouble keeping much down.

Hoping my nausea goes away by 15 weeks like it did with my girls... my issue with their pregnancies was I ate for an entire village and never exercised. This time I work part-time at a park district and get a free gym membership so once I can stay fully hydrated without throwing up I plan on swimming laps every other day. My goal is to not go over 225lbs which is a healthy weight gain according to my doctor. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->