any plus size mummies to be?

Reassuring to hear you know of somebody on progesterone injections their entire pregnancy. I was beginning to feel like the only one. Most everybody come off them around 10-12 weeks. My OBGYN apparently has a number of pregnant women on injections their entire pregnancy as he is a big advocate of progesterone support. According to him PCOS women are at great risk for a deficiency their entire pregnancy which can lead to premature rupture of the membranes, preterm labor, and in the worst cases, still birth. Sometimes I wonder if he is really overthinking it, but he's had great success with helping to get PCOS women pregnant and deliver healthy babies. So who am I to doubt him? Although some friends do. They think I should be off progesterone by now and that it isn't safe to take metformin (it is a class B pregnancy drug, so not sure why they think that) after the first trimester. :dohh:

Id be more inclined to listen to the ob than a friend :haha: As long as he gets good results id not argue with him. Its nice to hear of one who takes great care of his patients. Over here they kind of dont care as much xx

The friend's reproductive endocrinologist pulled her off metformin at 12 weeks. So I think she thinks RE trumps OBGYN.

It is funny, because I have known for quite some time progesterone was an obvious issue for me, but my old OBGYN wouldn't take it seriously. My RE did, not anywhere as serious as my new OBGYN does. It's like I got my wish of a doctor who viewed progesterone as a very important part of pregnancy... but sometimes I think he may take it too far. :rofl:

They just called and my number did go up from 7.8 to a 14.7. So my placenta is apparently trying, but I have to stick with both the injections and the prometrium.

I'm glad your numbers are going up! It sounds like your doctor is on top of things :)

I have my NT scan tomorrow morning, at 12+6. I wonder if it'll be abdominal or another transvaginal. Hope I can get some good pictures (and good results, of course!).

I'm going to my first trimester screen with the MFM doctor on Thursday. I've never been there before. I hope its a good experience. My OB said they would be the ones managing my meds and stuff...so I really hope they agree with my mentality. I refuse to stop taking my Metformin for this pregnancy. I have done a lot of research and talking to other PCOS moms and they believe staying on it the whole time helped them a lot. My body needs it for more than just getting pregnant and I am insulin resistant .. so, if they tell me to stop taking it I'm gonna keep right on doing it cause they aren't the ones prescribing it. :)

I've also been taking progesterone pills since week 5... but I dunno if I should keep taking them or not. I see some posters have said they were on it the whole time especially with PCOS... I really hope this MFM knows what he's talking about regarding my issues.

I'm going to my first trimester screen with the MFM doctor on Thursday. I've never been there before. I hope its a good experience. My OB said they would be the ones managing my meds and stuff...so I really hope they agree with my mentality. I refuse to stop taking my Metformin for this pregnancy. I have done a lot of research and talking to other PCOS moms and they believe staying on it the whole time helped them a lot. My body needs it for more than just getting pregnant and I am insulin resistant .. so, if they tell me to stop taking it I'm gonna keep right on doing it cause they aren't the ones prescribing it. :)

I've also been taking progesterone pills since week 5... but I dunno if I should keep taking them or not. I see some posters have said they were on it the whole time especially with PCOS... I really hope this MFM knows what he's talking about regarding my issues.

My OB and RE recommended I take my Metformin for the entire pregnancy. Ob did have me stop progesterone at 13 weeks. Every thing is great so far and my blood sugar is still in normal range. They also said it was ok to continue Met while breast feeding.

My OB told me to stop Metformin at the end of my first trimester, but I didn't stop until 20 weeks. I really struggled to make the decision and I hope I won't be sorry.:shrug: I was only on ER 500mg/day which I think is the lowest dose prescribed for PCOS. So far, so good. :thumbup:

MrsKChicago Good luck for your NT scan hun. I got some pretty clear pictures from mine via an abdominal scan and they have no problem getting the NT measurement.

Amythyst Good luck for your appointment hun. They should take your wishes into consideration. At the end of the day as long as its deemed safe they cant tell you stop taking something.. which by what the other ladies are saying it is totally safe :)

Elphabaa77 Im glad your numbers are on the up hun :dance:

how are we all feeling.. Im fab today as I've lost 2lb this morning. im hoping they wont want to weigh me at the hospital though as their scales will no doubt say different being in the afternoon and they count your clothes etc. x

Thanks, Sethsmummy. I'm exciting about my scan in a couple hours, but sooo tired. I work from home, I'm not used to getting up so early.

Hi ladies,

Can I join? I am currently 17 weeks and am overweight. It has added to my MANY fears (after 2 MCs last year). I am looking forward to being able to feel my baby move regularly so that I have some reassurance that all is going well.

I also have the dreaded 'B' belly! I am just beginning to show, although I think people who don't know would probably think I'm just heavier than usual. It sucks having a big belly...but I guess I don't have anyone to blame but myself!

Attachments

• 17 weeks.jpg
    17 weeks.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 8
Good luck to all the girls with upcoming appointments! <3 :hugs:

Kaygee- you look fab hun! To me it definitely looks like a preggo bump!!

I have my monthly check up tomorrow so we will see how my weight is, although I think I've definitely gained since my last appointment since I've been baking up a storm. Although, I will add it's not my fault as hubby has been requesting a multitude of sweets lately. He is definitely having pregnancy cravings :haha:

I still feel like my bump is B shaped as well, but when I wear leggings over the bump it helps to smooth it out :) I've added a pic of my 24 weeks bump. The second tri always seems to fly by for me. If the whole pregnancy could be this comfortable I'd have 20 kids :haha:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 2.06.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 2.06.32 PM.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi ladies,

Can I join? I am currently 17 weeks and am overweight. It has added to my MANY fears (after 2 MCs last year). I am looking forward to being able to feel my baby move regularly so that I have some reassurance that all is going well.

I also have the dreaded 'B' belly! I am just beginning to show, although I think people who don't know would probably think I'm just heavier than usual. It sucks having a big belly...but I guess I don't have anyone to blame but myself!

Don't feel bad! I think you look fine. :) I'm over 300 pounds and I look so bizarre (to me) ... so trust me, it could be worse. :)

Congrats and welcome!

Hi ladies! NT scan was great, despite baby being an uncooperative little punk ;) I'll post a photo later.

ladies your bumps look lovely!!

Mrsk im glad your scan went well.. i predict a boy if it was uncoperative lol xx

Haha! I told my husband it's definitely his kid! Wily little thing! It was frustrating for the tech, but I enjoyed watching him.

Welcome to the new one(s) :D

Awww, you're US pic is so cute :3

I have to go for a re scan on Thursday to check my placenta and LO's spin.
Hope she co-ops this time :lol:

I have been on 500mg of metformin ER, 4 pills a day since July 1st. Before that I took 3 pills a day. I am diabetic so now I also take insulin in addition to 2000mg a day of metformin. I will be on it my entire pregnancy and neither my RE or my OBGYN were concerned. It's pregnancy category B, so considered safe. You ladies should be fine to continue on it. (I have PCOS and a family history of type 2 diabetes, so me ending up with diabetes seemed inevitable.)

Also, I am currently on 2 injections (in my butt muscles) a week of bio identical progesterone AND I take 200mg of prometrium vaginally at night. I will be on the injections my entire pregnancy as my OBGYN is a strong believer in progesterone support for PCOS women. He says it can help prevent premature rupture of the membranes and preterm labor in women whose bodies aren't making adequate progesterone. He also does a special progesterone test that is mailed to the Pope Paul VI institute in Omaha, Nebraska which is known for it's progesterone research. They have a special kind of machine that isn't made anymore that does a more in depth progesterone test than the standard lab test.

My low numbers according to their test scare me a lot, but if my progesterone is in fact low, then extra support the whole pregnancy couldn't hurt.

Good luck to all the girls with upcoming appointments! <3 :hugs:

Kaygee- you look fab hun! To me it definitely looks like a preggo bump!!

I have my monthly check up tomorrow so we will see how my weight is, although I think I've definitely gained since my last appointment since I've been baking up a storm. Although, I will add it's not my fault as hubby has been requesting a multitude of sweets lately. He is definitely having pregnancy cravings :haha:

I still feel like my bump is B shaped as well, but when I wear leggings over the bump it helps to smooth it out :) I've added a pic of my 24 weeks bump. The second tri always seems to fly by for me. If the whole pregnancy could be this comfortable I'd have 20 kids :haha:

Thanks for your lovely kind words - your bump looks amazing...and not B-shaped at all. I'll look forward to mine being as nicely shaped by 24 weeks :) I know what you mean about 2nd trimester flying by - I am FINALLY starting to feel more like myself again.

Hope all goes well at your monthly check-up.

Hi girls, Sethsmummy told me stop over, I am not at all in the second trimester though, only 7w3d but there doesn't appear to be a plus sized mommies thread in the first trimester. Maybe I should start one??

Anyway can I stalk for a few weeks?? I am overweight as well, only 5'2" but just barely under 200lbs. I have lose 27lbs since May and have bad PCOS, but the "syndrome X" version, my testosterone has never been high, and all my hormones are "normal" with the exception of my progesterone. My FSH was a tad high at 12 I think but nothing that concerned my RE. We have been TTC for 4 years, underwent IUI's and lots of clomid, been on metformin 1500mg daily for sometime, was on it before pregnancy several times for insulin resistance, however without it my labs have shown in recent years that my insulin levels are normal so I guess my lifestyle change helped that.

We took a break with the RE in January due to financial reasons and I started losing weight in May, stopped all refined carbs and sugars and got a bit more exercise. Found out Aug. 10th that I was pregnant, I almost passed out from the shock! DH also has MFI so it was a double whammy for us. I almost never ovulate but was sure I did on July 24th as I feel it clearly when I do.

The extra weight does scare me. I'm by no means huge, I was smaller than my biggest when I started losing weight but still have a BMI of like 36.5. My MW said it was totally safe to lose weight while pregnant if I don't cut calories so I am just going to try to keep eating healthy and pray. My progesterone was low at 9.7 when I had it checked so I'm on prometrium 200mg twice a day and that seems to be working, it's now up to 52. My RE said to keep taking the metformin for 12 weeks but it does scare me to stop taking it, although my labs were okay without it, but I always gain weight when I stop taking it.

Sorry for the long post ladies. Any advice you can throw at me is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->