any plus size mummies to be?

Hi there! Welcome to the thread! I have PCOS as well and was TTC'ing for 5 years. I have the nasty kind of PCOS with high testosterone, insulin resistance, hormone craziness and until I got on Metformin, I gained like 20-30 pounds a year and never knew why. The Met also seemed to control my sugar and my A1C level. I had always been in the "pre-diabetic" range before I was on 2000mg of Met but now I'm down to 5.6 on the A1C in the "non diabetic" area.

My OB also told me to stop taking my Metformin...today would be the day actually since I'm 12w today... but I looked at her funny and was like hell no. :) She brushed me off and said well you can take that up with the MFM (high risk doctor) when you go see them. I don't plan to stop taking my metformin. I believe it is doing so much more for me than helping me to get pregnant and I don't want to risk stopping it. Lots of women take it full term and it did them good.

My progesterone was also low when I had it checked at 5 weeks. I think it was at 8. I've been on pills for it since then... I'm not entirely sure I should stop taking it. Will be asking the MFM tomorrow.

I have noticed a pattern with us PCOS girls... when we're having trouble conceiving it seems that when we cut down our carbs and get rid of sugar as much as possible, it paves the way for getting pregnant. In all the 5 years of trying I had never gone on a strict diet but back in May I decided to do Weight Watchers and start doing weight training. Within 6 weeks I had lost almost 20 pounds and then poof pregnant.

I'm not going to worry about losing weight right now... I'm gonna focus on not gaining weight (unnecessary weight) and just be happy and go back to my weight loss afterward. I didn't want to breast feed originally but I figured if I did it might help me lose more weight... not sure. I have unbelievable super sensitive nipples and even lost a corner of one of my nipples due to an intimate encounter where it go so irritated from excessive touching that part of it never filled back in when it healed. So, I'm a little worried about breast feeding. :D

ladies your bumps look lovely!!

Mrsk im glad your scan went well.. i predict a boy if it was uncoperative lol xx
Funny cuz I'm having a boy he was super uncooperative during our two intensive ultrasounds.

I mentioned to some mom friends that baby was uncooperative and swimming all over the place, and got all their fun stubborn baby stories. One friend's daughter pulled the cord over her face and punched the wand several times :D

We're thinking about doing a private gender scan around 15 weeks. Crazy to think we could find out in just a couple weeks.

My biggest issue has been low progesterone. Even at 10 weeks it was only 7.3. I was on prometrium 2 times a day, vaginally for the first 7 weeks as instructed by the RE. Then my OBGYN wanted me switched to injections twice a week at 7 weeks since my number was still low. So at 10 weeks when it was still low, they added the prometrium back in once a day vaginally. I had the another test last Thursday but since it's mailed to some fancy institute in Nebraska I don't have the results yet. I was told I would likely be on at least the injections for the rest of the pregnancy. It's hard to believe my progesterone is so low because I have had no bleeding or cramping. Plus baby is active and measuring spot on, always wiggling around on ultrasounds. I just don't understand how the pregnancy can go so well when my progesterone is so bad. My old OBGYN told me that if the egg was viable the progesterone would be fine. Guess she is my old OBGYN for a reason. This egg was certainly viable.
My progesterone was also very low...7.3 same as yours. But I think that was around 5 weeks or so when it should be at least 10, and preferably 15. I opted not to do progesterone therapy this time. This was just a personal decision on my part after doing some research...I think everyone needs to make their own decisions on these things.

I had some weird spotting right before my BFP, which was apparently implantation bleeding. If my progesterone level was too low to sustain a pregnancy I would expect some sort of spotting but I've had none since the very beginning.

I haven't had my levels checked again, the practice I go to now hasn't even mentioned it. I used progesterone (Crinone) twice a day before my many miscarriages and it did not help. With one of my pregnancies my progesterone level was 50-something and I still miscarried. Of course there's so much more involved than just progesterone levels in maintaining a pregnancy.

Again, everyone needs to make their own informed decisions on these things.:hugs:I wish there was a concrete, research-based answer for everything.

I have noticed a pattern with us PCOS girls... when we're having trouble conceiving it seems that when we cut down our carbs and get rid of sugar as much as possible, it paves the way for getting pregnant. In all the 5 years of trying I had never gone on a strict diet but back in May I decided to do Weight Watchers and start doing weight training. Within 6 weeks I had lost almost 20 pounds and then poof pregnant.
You're totally right, I keep seeing this pattern too. I spent my whole life not ovulating or ovulating very irregularly. But when we started our no grain, carbs only from produce, almost no sugar lifestyle... voila, regular ovulation. There really is something to it.:munch:

I didn't want to breast feed originally but I figured if I did it might help me lose more weight... not sure. I have unbelievable super sensitive nipples and even lost a corner of one of my nipples due to an intimate encounter where it go so irritated from excessive touching that part of it never filled back in when it healed. So, I'm a little worried about breast feeding. :D
I have very sensitive nipples myself but I really wanted to breastfeed my son. The first few feedings were a bit...shocking. I thought for sure my nipples were in danger, but very soon after...I think before we even left the hospital, my nipples adjusted and were fine. It's definitely worth a try if you are interested.:D

ladies your bumps look lovely!!

Mrsk im glad your scan went well.. i predict a boy if it was uncoperative lol xx
Funny cuz I'm having a boy he was super uncooperative during our two intensive ultrasounds.

My boy was not going to show his face whatsoever at my 20 week scan. Boy bits and booty everywhere but hands covering his face and wiggling away from the tech at every chance. Lol

But on the plus side my b belly seems to have wandered away lol
https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/HecateProxy/CAM00543_zps01451501.jpg

I just feel giant but ive only gained 12 pounds.

Hello ladies! I'm here to join the chat. I'm not second semester, but definitely a plus sized mommy to be! (size 18/20) This will be our first and DH and I are super excited! I'm am terribly paranoid about weight gain and I'm trying to eat healthy and get plenty of protein, but my stupid stomach is only craving bad things. :( That and salad is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it makes me want to vomit. Oh well.

I'm scheduled for my first visit with the NP 9/10 for blood work. I know they'll check Hcg, cholesterol, thyroid, blood count, but does anyone know if they regularly check progesterone? I'm really curious as to if mine is ok or not. If they don't, I may just ask.

But on the plus side my b belly seems to have wandered away lol
https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q704/HecateProxy/CAM00543_zps01451501.jpg

I just feel giant but ive only gained 12 pounds.

You don't look giant at all, you just look pregnant! Beautiful!

Hello ladies! I'm here to join the chat. I'm not second semester, but definitely a plus sized mommy to be! (size 18/20) This will be our first and DH and I are super excited! I'm am terribly paranoid about weight gain and I'm trying to eat healthy and get plenty of protein, but my stupid stomach is only craving bad things. :( That and salad is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it makes me want to vomit. Oh well.

I'm scheduled for my first visit with the NP 9/10 for blood work. I know they'll check Hcg, cholesterol, thyroid, blood count, but does anyone know if they regularly check progesterone? I'm really curious as to if mine is ok or not. If they don't, I may just ask.
Welcome!

proxy bump that's such a lovely neat bump :)

We are sooo excited to be announcing that after 3 beautiful girls we are officially team blue..... we had our gender scan yesterday where out little man and his legs wide open and all his bits on show .... im lost for words and really feel like weve won the lottery :)

Congrats on a little boy, Emily!

Proxy Bump, you look fantastic! I hope I get a bump that nice.

I just took a look at my lab work billing from my first appointment and I don't see progesterone, but standard procedure varies so much from place to place, and that may be something they tested at the office, and didn't send out.

Hello fellow Hoosier! :winkwink:

You should definitely ask. With my history of infertility and PCOS, it was one of the first things my reproductive endocrinologist checked. Then when I was released to my OBGYN, he has kept checking it since it was low in the beginning. I'll be on progesterone injections my entire pregnancy. But as JanetPlanet mentioned with her experience, progesterone will only support a pregnancy if there are no chromosomal/genetic issues with the egg. Just that some of us have what's called luteal phase defect, where we can produce good eggs but the corpus luteum just can't keep up with progesterone production and eventually dies off. If that happens before the placenta takes over, it can lead to miscarriage. It never hurts anything to have it checked just to be safe, then see where your doctor stands on progesterone support. Some doctors think if the egg is viable then the progesterone corrects itself, so they won't support with progesterone supplements. If you're doctor believes this, you may want to at least get a second opinion if you're numbers were below 10. Just my own thoughts, but definitely better to be safe than sorry.

For the record, I don't believe I REALLY need to be on progesterone injections twice a week and prometrium vaginally once a day. Plus keeping up the injections for the remainder of my pregnancy seems a bit much when most women are taken off them at the end of the first trimester. Seems QUITE excessive... but I would hate to second guess my doctor and end up losing this little one that's been strong, active, and healthy up until now.

Hi all. I'm from the March thread, as I see a couple others are, too. I am a bigger person, about a size 12-14, which is bigger than I would like. I am about 5'4" and around 200lbs. I think I have gained about 3 pounds since I've found out I was pregnant. I'm 13 weeks now, which isn't too bad. I don't have some of the same issues as some seem to have (pcos, thyroid, etc), but I think it might be nice to hang around with some other fluffy gals.

It's exciting to see your bumps, because that is a worry for me. I don't want to look fatter, I want to look pregnant. Hope to see you guys around!

Nice to see more March Mallows in here :) I haven't had any weight related health issues either, but that doesn't mean they won't pop up later. I guess I'll have to be extra vigilant.

I had my NT screening today! Was my first trip to the MFM doctors office and they were super nice! My sonographer was also really great! We just were openly chatting with the ladies there and I even mentioned to the sonographer how some of you guys were getting harassed by your ultra sound techs about being overweight and how they couldn't get good pictures and didn't want to bother with you. She was astounded and said the women that said that to you guys have better been a super model to tell you that you were too big. She said the belly fat might make it slightly more challenging but just takes a bit longer to get the pictures and she said "I will get the pictures I need no matter how long it takes". :D But she didn't seem to have too difficult of a time even though I have a lot of belly fat.

Anyhoo, to quote the genetic technician lady she said my ultra sound was "awesome". The NT measurement was 1.5 and yay for nasal bones. I am assuming they didn't see any soft markers or anything cause she said everything looked great.

I also was able to get my Harmony test blood drawn right after the NT scan, and did some other genetic blood work. So, I should know the sex of the baby soon! yay! The sonographer tried to look today and thought she saw a flap of skin that would indicate a boy... but that totally bummed us out and I think she dropped the topic.

So, I was really impressed with them... I like them a lot better than my OB, heh. I'll be going back to my OB on the 20th and back to the MFM on the 24th.

This is so exciting! How is everyone feeling? I still don't really "feel" pregnant.

I don't have a bump :cry:

Had my 20 week re scan today (they couldn't see her spine properly and my placenta was lying low so they wanted to re check that), and her spine is fine and my placenta has moved up out of the way :happydance:

Only down side, she's breech :(
I just hope she turns around by the next time I have my growth scan or it means c-section.

I got some lovely photo's (for free) and there's one of her sucking her thumb.
I'll post it later when DS is in bed.

Congrats on your blue bump :D
And your bump looks amazing ^.^

I'm glad the scan went so well! My sonographer didn't seem to have much trouble with my weight, either. Stubborn swimming baby was much more of an issue. She did have to press a little hard a few times, but I expected that from what I'd read here.

I'm feeling ok. I have some random aches and pains, and no idea where they came from, and I'm a little tired, but overall not bad. I had a lot of pelvis pain starting around 9 weeks, and it's been getting a lot better, thankfully. I wonder if it's because my uterus is rising up out of the pelvis and not straining things so much. I hope it stays away for awhile.

She still has plenty of time to flip over, CrimsonZombie. Give her a stern talking to and I bet she shapes up ;)

I hope she does, the though of a section terrifies me :cry:

And here's her sucking on her thumb :happydance:

Attachments

• 10639631_656992067741677_4353617501620397604_n.jpg
    10639631_656992067741677_4353617501620397604_n.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members