Anyone Breastfeeding and TTC or NTNP?

SyllyPoohBear

Mother of 1 expecting # 2
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if breastfeeding is still affecting my cycles. She still nurses 3 - 6 times a day. Does anyone else have problems with there cycles that are still breastfeeding? Wondering if it's linked.. :dust:

I'm still breastfeeding and NTNP/TTC. I only quite got AF back two months ago and my cycle has definitely been affected. Breastfeeding can often cause problems with short luteal phase. I've been spotting for almost a week before AF whereas that never used to happen. Last month I started spotting at what I think was 4 dpo. This month I've been taking B6 and Agnus Castus to try and regulate things but I'm still waiting to ovulate so not sure whether it's working yet. What is your cycle like?

I have been off the mirena for 8 month while still breastfeeding. I didn't have a AF the first 4 months the last 4 have been: 24 CD short luteal, 27 CD regular luteal, 28 CD regular luteal, 34 CD late Ov short luteal (12 instead of my reg. 14) Weird. I ovulated a week after I got the mirena out and light spotting for about a week. Then nothing till Feb. Just curious to see what others were doing about it too. I have never heard of Angus Cactus.. What is that supposed to do exactly?

Vitex works by stimulating the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and suppressing the production of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This in turn causes the corpus luteum to secrete more progesterone. Progesterone suppresses the production of prolaction. Also, vitex has components that bind to the dopamine receptor sites of the pituitary, inhibiting prolactin secretion.

Vitex is a very useful herb for PMS symptoms, as well as for moms who are breastfeeding and are desiring to conceive again, and are having problems with their cycles returning or becoming regular enough to sustain a pregnancy.

(from Kelly mum website)
Vitex is another name for Agnus Castus. It is supposed to regulate any hormonal imbalances and help to regulate your cycle.

Coolio!! Thank you I think I will try that too! Hey were did you get the Breastfeeding milestone pin from? I think I snagged the pic of yours I just love it!!

I'm not currently breastfeeding. However, I conceived my second child while nursing. My cycles returned when my son was 12 months old and were immediately regular.
With my third child, my cycles returned when she was 5 months, but were quite irregular for about 3 or 4 months.

Good luck.

Coolio!! Thank you I think I will try that too! Hey were did you get the Breastfeeding milestone pin from? I think I snagged the pic of yours I just love it!!

This is where I get the b/f milestones from, there are loads there:
https://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/milky_mommy/

Thank you so much!! I really like it. :) When is your son's birthday? I think our children are around the same age. I am excited about trying Vitex I ordered some off the internet today so it should be here in a week or so. I hope it helps. Technically we aren't trying but in my heart I really want another baby. So I guess we'll see!! Baby dust.

My little boy's birthday is 27th October 2009. When is your little girl's birthday? Is that her pic in your signature? She is really gorgeous, I love the curls, and the lovely little smile!

Can you believe how quickly they have grown into toddlers?? I really can't believe that I have a baby of this age already!

My Daughters birthday is September 19th my nephew was born on the 28th of October same year. My sister and I got pregnant at the same time. :) That is my daughter. And thank you. I think she's grown into her little body nicely. (always thought she wasn't the prettiest baby lol) I can't believe it at ALL she is SO big and she totally acts like a little person. Definitely not a baby anymore.. I think that's why we're hankering for another one. What made you decide to have your kids closer together?

I am 36 so I don't feel like I have lots of time to hang around, I would love to have three children but definitely at least one more. I also know that it might take a bit longer but I will be really happy if it happens quickly!

For sure. That's good thinkin'. ;) How long do you think you'll breastfeed till? I plan on till 2 years. And then starting to wean her off. She loves nursing and so do I so I have a hard time telling her no..

That is my plan too, I plan to breastfeed until two and then will start to try to encourage him to wean. I'm not sure how successful that will be mind you as I also have a hard time refusing feeds and he's showing no signs of losing interest at the moment. He was down to just a bedtime feed for ages but recently he is much more interested again and has at least two or three feeds a day and would have more if I let him. I do set limits around his feeding now and will only feed him in his bedroom upstairs. He knows that so he doesn't really ask for a feed when we are out and about which I am happy about. At the back of my mind I am sort of hoping that he might naturally wean at some stage during the pregnancy if I get pregnant.

Yah me too. I hope Baylee will wean herself. I encourage Baylee to have other things too, instead of milk. But it doesn't always work. I think its still just a comfort and bond with her and she enjoys that focus that I give her when she nurses. She has never taken a pacifier so the boob is it for her. I just noticed we are the only ones on here. lol Still no O? I'm early for mine but I really can't wait for vitex to get here. I hate that my hormones have been every where lately. It's so hard to tell what the heck is going on! Oich. How quickly did you get pregnant with your first?

Thomas never took a pacifier either. I tried to get him to take one when he was younger but he couldn't keep it in his mouth, kept spitting it out. At this stage I'm glad that he doesn't have one because it's one less thing to take off him. I love that Thomas still enjoys the comfort and bonding of nursing but I also wish my hormones would get back to normal.

No sign of O yet for me but I have loads of EWCM today so I guess it's on its way. I had long cycles before I had Thomas so late ovulation is nothing new for me. I was lucky that I got pregnant within a couple of months of coming off the pill last time. I'm sure it will probably take a bit longer this time though. How about you?

Actually we are avoiding this month as my due date if I got pregnant this month would clash with an important work commitment. So I'm just taking my supplements and trying to regulate my cycle and will be back to NTNP next month. Having said that, we haven't used protection or anything, just planning on avoiding BD at my fertile time.

Us too. I got pregnant 3 months after I was off BCP. We weren't TTC we were just NTNP. Although really not actually wanting a baby then yet. But it happened.. lol Yah I feel the same way. It's hard not knowing what your body is doing. I just want to be regular dang it. lol

Last time I was definitely TTC. This time I'm taking a more relaxed approach, staying away from the TTC forums on here, and just BDing when we feel like it rather than it becoming a chore. I am temperature charting though but more to know what my body is doing and when to expect AF. I do try to BD when I think I'm approaching ovulation but if one or other of us isn't in the mood I'm not stressing about it.

I think this is the thread Bky had pointed me to. Yay!

My little one is 15-months-old today. He's still breastfeeding, and I wouldn't feel right weaning him to TTC. We're TTC/sorta trying NP and hoping BF'ing doesn't keep anything from happening. My period's never come back (2 years + with no period has been nice, to be fair!), and I just came off the mini-pill last week.

I've started my EPO and need to get my hands on some agnus castus. I express when at work, and since coming off the mini-pill, I seem to be getting more milk when I express, which is interesting! I guess we really need to get a move on, as DH is off to nine weeks of basic training in under three weeks!

Anyway, I thought I'd better post on this thread so I can follow it!

Hi! Good to know there are others! I love that you pro breastfeeding. Wonderful. I also donated milk for a year to another baby. :) (It's how I lost so much wait. lol) I had a home birth with my daughter. Water birth. Amazing! Seems like you take the all natural approach. I do the same. I am supposed to get my Vitex er.. agnus castus this week. I am hopeful. I agree about the no period thing. :) December 2008 was the last time till February of this year. So 2 years and a couple months. Especially after the horrible AF I had this last time. Yuck. Do either of you have AF like symptoms close to O? I have been having lower back pain and leg cramps. Last month and this month almost 2 weeks after AF. Weird.

I've cramped on and off for a few days this week, and CM has increased. So, I'm telling myself that it's everything kick starting itself. I did POAS and did an OPK right when I came off the mini pill to see where everything stood, both negative. I took agnus castus when TTC last time and used Pre-Seed. I'd been on the Pill before, had my Pill period, then one real period, then BFP! I hope it's as simple this time!

And, yes, it seems pregnancy and motherhood turned me into a bit of a hippy. I never expected that, but that's cool! I'd planned a homebirth but ended up transferring to hospital due to Grade 3 (very thick) meconium. I've warned DH that I'm going to be planning a HB again though, plus birth pool. At least he's prepared! Have you checked out the Home Birthers & Hopefuls sticky in the Natural Birth section (the link to my birth story is actually in that thread)? It's ever so good!

I've donated EBM as well, for four months. It was a great feeling, and I would hope someone would do the same for me should my baby ever be the one in need. HM4HB is something that's been needed for a long time!

Hmmm, speaking of sticky threads....I wonder if this should be one in the TTC forum? I mean, certainly there are lots of mums out there who are TTC whilst BF, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->