Yes i have bought some stuff,

moses basket
nappy wrapper
packs of nappys & wipes
Lotions etc
Some vests
dummies
bottles

Gosh that sounds loads - But its all stored away in boxes in the attic.

I just wish June would hurry up now !

I don't think it's a good idea to buy this early.
First, you can say you (not you specifically, but I am saying "you" in general) are going to ttc in May for example, but what if you don't fall pregnant right away? What if it takes years? What if there is a problem and you can't get pregnant? What if you get pregnant and god forbid you lose the baby?

I chose to wait until I was in my third tri to buy stuff. You don't need a ton of stuff for a baby in the begining anyway. I think it's just better to save the money until the right time.

I don't think it's a good idea to buy this early.
First, you can say you (not you specifically, but I am saying "you" in general) are going to ttc in May for example, but what if you don't fall pregnant right away? What if it takes years? What if there is a problem and you can't get pregnant? What if you get pregnant and god forbid you lose the baby?

I chose to wait until I was in my third tri to buy stuff. You don't need a ton of stuff for a baby in the begining anyway. I think it's just better to save the money until the right time.

sure you don't mean to be but i find this a little harsh if i'm honest, it's the OP'er's opinion :D

back to the original post - i didn't with maddi (when ttc) but i did start buying within a few weeks of my bfp, just a few bits and bobs, for me, having the babies things and if god-for-bid something had of happened, i no i would of been ok with having things of my little leech's, but i no many don't feel this way, which is also understandable.
thankfully everything was fine and i had everything brought really (and nursery done by 23weeks)

this time, i have been tempted, but haven't brought anything yet. i was thinking about bringing some bits back from florida when we're ttc, but i'm not sure yet, for us, i'm terrified of not being blessed again as i had some problems ttc mads xx that said, i do have an attic full of stuff (of maddi's) just in case!

sure you don't mean to be but i find this a little harsh if i'm honest, it's the OP'er's opinion :D

She gave her opinion but she also asked questions which I answered with my own reasons why I wouldn't do it. (That's why I said in my original post: "when I say you, I am not saying you specifically, I am saying you in general"). She asked if anyone found it weird, and also she wanted to know what people thought , and also if it was premature. Those are her words in her post (hence, asking for thoughts/opinions on the topic) and I gave my opinion like everyone else did. I didn't say I found it weird though. If you think it's harsh, I understand but the reasons I gave are realistic. Ultimately, it's up to her if she wants to buy stuff.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on and on in this post, but I like to be specific for clarity reasons, lol! I am really not like that in person.

I agree with snowqueen on this. Only because I experienced it. I bought things before we were even trying and started setting up our nursery right when I found out I was pregnant. 9 weeks in and I lost the baby. :cry: I can say it was the worst thing in the world coming home to baby stuff because I tortured myself with it by going through it all. I was naive and thought nothing bad could possibly happen to me.

It may be harsh but the truth is that infertility and miscarriages happen all the time. I don't think snowqueen was saying it to be mean, she is just trying to point out the other side of things. :shrug:

With that said, it is not weird at all to want to prepare. It's hard to resist buying cute baby things. :thumbup: I like the idea of saving up and waiting a bit.

i've bought a few items...only when there's a sale!

how can i pass up an outfit that is usually $75 for only $5!!

and i think of it as a gift...then i don't jinx myself!

I have bought a couple of little clothes that were on sale, that's all. I don't see the problem, personally. If we had problems conceiving, so what? At some point I will have a baby to go in those clothes, either by birth, adoption or fostering, and because I've bought them now not while I'm pregnant if I did have a mc I wouldn't feel I'd bought those clothes for that baby, so wouldn't have to get rid. They're packed away in one of my storage boxes, too, so they're not out in the open to be looked at.

I usually try not to buy anything. Why? Worried about getting obsessed (Anyone from UK remember Ronnie with that huge secret stash of baby things when she was not even pregnant yet?) I don't think its to do with jinxing it, just worried it will make me upset and not focus on the present.

HOWEVER, I broke the golden rule and bought two beautiful baby books (those where you put photos and different stages of the babies development). They were so beautifully made. It was a sale as the shop was closing, and it had one in pink and one in blue. I couldn't bring myself to buy one and not the other. I now have the books hidden, and am using them for motivation to get me from WTT to TTC.

I do wonder sometimes, that when I am pregnant, will I decorate the nursery, will I buy clothes etc? Why? Because even though I so much want to do it, I can't help thinking what if something happens very later on in the pregnancy or during birth. How heartbreaking can it be going home to an empty nursery? I can even start to think what women go through that have that issue, my heart goes out to them. Gone a bit off topic here

So, I think its a tricky one, to buy or not to buy? I think as long as you have your feet on the ground and head in the present, you can maybe buy some things, if it feels right for you.

I agree with snowqueen on this. Only because I experienced it. I bought things before we were even trying and started setting up our nursery right when I found out I was pregnant. 9 weeks in and I lost the baby. :cry: I can say it was the worst thing in the world coming home to baby stuff because I tortured myself with it by going through it all. I was naive and thought nothing bad could possibly happen to me.

It may be harsh but the truth is that infertility and miscarriages happen all the time. I don't think snowqueen was saying it to be mean, she is just trying to point out the other side of things. :shrug:

With that said, it is not weird at all to want to prepare. It's hard to resist buying cute baby things. :thumbup: I like the idea of saving up and waiting a bit.

honey i am so deeply sorry for your loss :hugs: i was told i could never have children, and went through many years of lots of tests before we started and once ttc, i do understand the pain of infertility :hugs:

snowqueen i understand where you was coming from and stating the other side, but my original opinion is, and i stand by it, i thought it was harsh and like i said, i'm sure you didn't mean it :D hope that clears up my comment :D

I am tempted to buy things all the time, but I kind of feel the same way about not having loads of stuff around waiting for a baby. Plus, I think it'll back fire and make me sad and broody since we are officially WTT. Anyway, I have decided to start a "secret baby savings account" which will give me something to do while WTT that won't make me sad and will help with my anxiety about not being able to afford a baby. That way I can splurge on baby stuff and preggers outfits, DH can't complain about money i'm spending, and we won't feel it from our budget. The goal is when I've got $5,000 saved up (estimated cost for 1st year minus daycare) then we can TTC. (obviously we're a ways away) (BTW...DH is so confusing...keeps telling me how he could wait 6 yrs for kids and then comes back and starts saying how he's scared we'll have infertility issues....WTF):dohh:

thankfully since i wont be ttc for another 2 years or so i have a brand new baby nephew that was born today and a little niece due on jan 9th so i can spoil them lol:haha:

I have bought a couple of little clothes that were on sale, that's all. I don't see the problem, personally. If we had problems conceiving, so what? At some point I will have a baby to go in those clothes, either by birth, adoption or fostering, and because I've bought them now not while I'm pregnant if I did have a mc I wouldn't feel I'd bought those clothes for that baby, so wouldn't have to get rid. They're packed away in one of my storage boxes, too, so they're not out in the open to be looked at.

I just thought of this question so I have to ask, do you buy both boy and girl clothes or gender neutral? What if you buy 6 month sizes in summer clothes, but the baby will be 6 months in the winter? I am just curious how you work that out.

I have a few items. I bought 3 little onesie sets..2 are gender neutral and one is blue with robots.. I also found an outfit that belonged to my lille brother and it is gender neutral. My grandma randomly had a few boyish looking onesies that she gave me. And my younger brother had a gf who thought she was pregnant but she wasnt. He had bought a bottle and now I have it (brand new in the packaging).. So we have a little collection started... I dont think its weird.

I dont think its weird but i think you'd have to be very emotionally strong to do it, like personally i would find that stuff upsetting until i actually had a child in my arms.In the future when im pregnant i dont want to buy anything until theyre born, im gonna pick out what i want and save but not actually buy a single thing.I dont think i could handle coming home to stuff again. I have a steriliser that my sister gave me in the attic and i used to have loads of pregnancy books but im pretty sure my mum threw them out.I have babygros and teddies aswell but none that i would ever put on anyone because i bought them for rowan so it would feel wrong to have another child wear them

Hi, i personally wont be buying anything until i am pregnant! but once I am, god help OH, his wages will take a bashing from mothercare! haha xxx

Hi. This is a good topic actually because I've been tempted to buy a few bits of baby clothing in the past, but thought it would be stupid.
I'm not trying till August time this year, so I dunno if I would start buying baby clothes just yet. I understand where your coming from though, so it's not that early to start buying stuff.
Infact I might start buying a few things. I already look on baby website's and I go in mothercare to have a browse round to see if there's anything I like.
I love 3 or 4 prams I've seen, and just like someone else has said...most of them are from silver cross.

Hi. This is a good topic actually because I've been tempted to buy a few bits of baby clothing in the past, but thought it would be stupid.
=

Yeah, I see what you mean but I think it's just a fun thing to do. Besides being a fun thing to do, I don't know what the purpose of buying stuff when not pregnant. I mean, there are always stuff on sale, and you don't need a lot in the begining anyway. To me, it's kinda like buying the wedding dress before having a boyfriend so I never bought anything before getting pregnant. But to each their own, if it makes the person happy, I am all for it!.

I have not bought anything... Not even while I was pregnant... And I sort of regret it now, I wish when I found out I was pregnant I had gone and got something small, but I was waiting until I had got to like 18 weeks... Unfortunately, my baby didn't stay with me, and I don't have anything to relate my baby with.. It's different for everyone though...

I don't think I'll buy anything while WTT, or TTC, but I will start buying things from early on if I become pregnant again.

I will start buying things maybe after the 12 weeks scan maybe like one thing but i'm not buying anything really until about 30 weeks so we can save up :lol: Plus i dont really need a massive amount this time :yipee:

I just thought of this question so I have to ask, do you buy both boy and girl clothes or gender neutral? What if you buy 6 month sizes in summer clothes, but the baby will be 6 months in the winter? I am just curious how you work that out.

I bought a tie-dyed baby-grow in pale blue which will be fine for girl or boy (I hate hate hate pink so no baby girl of mine is going to wear it), and the other two were little denim dungarees, also unisex. If it's cold weather when the clothes fit, we'll do what I do myself - put a jumper on, or more layers. If it's warmer weather, no problem. I live in England, so the weather is very temperate and we don't get extremes of temperature. The same clothes are generally fine most of the year, perhaps with the addition of a jumper or vest (or both for really cold weather, like today - 0 degrees celcius!)

Besides, I spent a grand total of about... £5 on the lot, so no biggie whatever happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->