Anyone diabetic before pregnacy

Just to update that although am still running quite high my sugars are starting to lower thank god...So hopefully things will settle down now.
Also think cutting the carbs down and eating more protein has def helped. x

Just to update that although am still running quite high my sugars are starting to lower thank god...So hopefully things will settle down now.
Also think cutting the carbs down and eating more protein has def helped. x

thats good news :thumbup:

Just came back from an appoitment. Hba1c 5.2. Very happy but now trying to stop the hypos. But this result take my mind off the highs a bit...

Jaybear glad to eathings are improving.

Capel that is a very good level - well done!

My sugars are coming down again after keeping them slightly raised after the birth but that means I have gone low a few times though still at levels I can cope with. Kirima is also breastfeeding a lot now which is probably influencing things.

As for the levels you are reporting - I lived on a 100g+ packet of sweets everyday late first trimester and evn after eating them with no extra insulin I never seemed to get above 6 and then they'd dive again hours later - it does eventually get better so hang in there. I weighed the same at the end of first trimester as at the beginnng despite all the sweets.

hi all, FINALLY managed to sign up!! I am also Type, for nearly 9 years now and in my first pregnancy. Am 26w 4d. Reading this thread, I wish I had joined before as I had a very rough 1st trimester like most of you - hypo hypo hypo. Paramedics were called twice as I'd just collapse on the street. Hypo awareness also totally gone. I'll be honest, I was SO scared of hypers, I'd inject more than required. 2nd trimester was better, but about 3 weeks ago I was getting a few highs - in the 9-10 region. Insulin upped and now again touch wood levels back down to 5-6. I am worried the highs have already affected baby's size as I am HUGE for 26 weeks!! I've been on Google all day at work (boss in meetings!) trying to see if high BS will cause large baby in 2nd trimester.

One question, at how many weeks does 3rd trimester start? I forget to ask MW and different places suggest different things.

welcome nemo!!

well what a night i had last night, had the worst hypo ever!!!

i last remember watching TV about 9pm and feeling sleepy. Hubby was on nights at this time. Next thing i know its about 1.15am and my hubby and his co worker were here with me bringing me round. I was out of it stone cold on the floor and had probably been for hours :( Blood sugar at lowest was 0.7. So eventually got my blood sugar up and went to bad waking up to 23!!!! So I asked my daughter (whos only 3) what happened last night and she said i was asleep and wouldnt wake up, then i fell off the sofa onto the floor, she said she was crying and shouting to wake me up but she couldnt :nope: bless her. Hubby got suspicious as i always ring him about 12 or email him but he hadnt heard from me at all and was ringing the house over and over again with no answer so thats why he popped home. Its a good job he did or i could have been dead this morning.

Its not good and all; my diabetic nurse said was reduce my night time insulin?!?!?!?! well im taking myself off metformin at teatime, i dont care what she says!! Over the past two weeks ive hypoed everyday except for 3 days out of the 14! its not good.

Ive now learnt my daughter how to ring her dad at work so he can be made aware earlier xx

hi all, FINALLY managed to sign up!! I am also Type, for nearly 9 years now and in my first pregnancy. Am 26w 4d. Reading this thread, I wish I had joined before as I had a very rough 1st trimester like most of you - hypo hypo hypo. Paramedics were called twice as I'd just collapse on the street. Hypo awareness also totally gone. I'll be honest, I was SO scared of hypers, I'd inject more than required. 2nd trimester was better, but about 3 weeks ago I was getting a few highs - in the 9-10 region. Insulin upped and now again touch wood levels back down to 5-6. I am worried the highs have already affected baby's size as I am HUGE for 26 weeks!! I've been on Google all day at work (boss in meetings!) trying to see if high BS will cause large baby in 2nd trimester.

One question, at how many weeks does 3rd trimester start? I forget to ask MW and different places suggest different things.

Hi..I have type 1 Diabetes and my highest blood sugar while I was pregnant in second trimester was 26.1!!!!!! I had a hard time controlling my sugars and luckily my DD was average size (7 lbs,11oz)Thank God!! My doc said be prepared...baby could be quite large but she wasn't. So the chances of having a big baby are greater if sugars are uncontrolled..however..it's not always the case.

Sorry for the double post...but does anyone here have an insulin pump? I just received mine from Medtronic and will be getting "hooked up" soon. If so, how have you found your blood sugars were before pregnancy and during. I know I had to adjust my insulin every 2 days my last pregnancy and ended up taking 5 needles in the end..is it the same adjusting with the pump.

hi dee_h im currently on the pump and find it a great help and hoping it will help when i do get pregnant again. You can set different rates at different times and i have found it so helpful. Do you have the veo pump? If so you should have a wizard on there. You enter your blood sugar then enter carbs your eating and it works out how much you need. I have my next clinic on thursday next week and hoping after 8 months on pump i have finally cracked my blood levels.
Hi lincoln girl. im sorry about the hypo's it was a good job your hubby turned up then, 0.7 is really low. I hope your feeling better and your bloods are better xx

Uau 0.7 is really scary. I still have daily hypos ( I am actually hypo now 2.4 5 min ago) I had to deacrese my morning backgroung dose and increase the nigth time one. Good thing I changed from lantus as it would have been difficult to do the same. I think that must be the great advantadge of the pump. I need more background during the night and early morning than late morning and afternoon. To be able to have different rates for different times of the day.
I still have high readings in the morning (the highest being 13.4) But they quickly come to more acceptable levels. What I find hard it is to test 1h after eating. I am always high then, specially in the morning. At 2h mark my levels are ok like 6-7 and 3h they are 4-5. But I still go 11-13 1h after. Hard to decide what is better the high level 1h after or the hypo that will follow if I am not...
checked level again, 4.3 hypo gone!

hi dee_h im currently on the pump and find it a great help and hoping it will help when i do get pregnant again. You can set different rates at different times and i have found it so helpful. Do you have the veo pump? If so you should have a wizard on there. You enter your blood sugar then enter carbs your eating and it works out how much you need. I have my next clinic on thursday next week and hoping after 8 months on pump i have finally cracked my blood levels.
Hi lincoln girl. im sorry about the hypo's it was a good job your hubby turned up then, 0.7 is really low. I hope your feeling better and your bloods are better xx

Yes..it is. That is awesome that it has the wizard on to do this. I'm very nervous but excited to get the pump up and running. Not sure how long DH and I should wait before ttc again after I get my pump.Thanks so much for the information.:hugs:

Hi guys...
So now my suagrs are slowly coming down( from around 17 1hr after a meal to around 8-9) I am struggling with food, and feel like I am eating very little. They have told me to cut carbs down and try to eat more protein which I am trying to do, But 1 slice of nimble and 1 boiled egg does not cover me till lunch, yet if I have a snack, my sugars go high again?! I hate feeling this hungry, yet darent eat anything extra as it affects my sugars....

I am on novarapid 3 x a day(14,10,14) then insulatard(16) at night. x

I am now a fan of babybel cheese. No carbs, easy snack. It is very hard to find things to eat. I am now having 4 meals (and 4x fast acting insulin). I am too hungry otherwise. And in the afternoon my spike is not so high so I eat more then...

i felt absolutly fine the next morning but it was ucky he came home when he did!

still having hypos but not as bad as that one x

Hi guys...
So now my suagrs are slowly coming down( from around 17 1hr after a meal to around 8-9) I am struggling with food, and feel like I am eating very little. They have told me to cut carbs down and try to eat more protein which I am trying to do, But 1 slice of nimble and 1 boiled egg does not cover me till lunch, yet if I have a snack, my sugars go high again?! I hate feeling this hungry, yet darent eat anything extra as it affects my sugars....

I am on novarapid 3 x a day(14,10,14) then insulatard(16) at night. x

have you askedif you can try carb counting?? ots the best thing i did. I had lots of variation when i was on set amounts of insulin.

Now i have 2 units of insulin to every 10g of carbs i eat. It takes time to get your head around as you have to count everything but its really just like being on a diet and counting calories. Before i did carb counting my blood sugars were always high teens early 20's or even higher. As i have a lot of variation in my diet so set amounts werent good for me as one day i would maybe have a sandwich for lunch and then the next day have a pasta dish. VERY different carb contents so having the same amount of insulin would prob make me hypo on a sandwich and still be high with the pasta meal.

I would ask them if you could look at this xx

LincolnGirl :hugs: does sound very scary - 0.7 is terribly low. Glad you could teach your DD to phone your DH. My DD is still a bit traumatised by my last pregnancy - the other night she heard some shouting and a siren on the street and came running out her room to find me saying: "Mommy, I thought you had gone low and the ambulance had come" It nearly made me cry - she is 3.5 years old now but was less than 3 when I first got pregnant and we did not know how to teach her to get help. I should probably look at it again now as do occasionaly go low when not pregnant.

Capel I would probably leave the high value 1h after breakfast especially if this is the only reading going like this. The only way to fix that is to eat foods lower in GI for breakfast and/or to wake up earlier and have your insulin and breakfast earlier (you are probably being affected by the cortisone reaction in the early mornings) and then if that does come right you will also have to eat again earlier than you would normally have a snack to prevent later hypos (which are often unpredictable anyway)

Have any of you had neuro hypos - the ones where you are out cold but when you come round slightly you cannot walk/talk/swallow? Those were the worst for me and I have had a few especially in pregnancy - it was most frustrating cause I wanted to get help and knew I was low but couldn't get anyone to help me or if they were trying to help I couldn't tell them what I needed (which was usually: it is time to get the paramedics now)

Hope I am not scaring anyone - I think I am still emotionally recovering from what was a rough pregnancy - my newest DD is more than worth it and I love her to bits but am still going through the "I want another baby but need to remember what it was like stage" as I think this may have to be my last child.

its scary having a lo one and diabetes.
Ive had hypos where i black out and have a fit then about half hour i dont remember any of it and have to ask what happened. I know tell everyone who i spend most my time with what to do just incase. When i was younger i walked home from school with what i thought was i headache. i got to my home door and collapsed. my parent were just glad i got home but i dont remember any of it.
xx

:hugs: pink23 - yes it is scary - I remember walking home pushng my eldest in the pram (shewas quite young) and I went low and was quiteou of it - a ladythought I was about to faint and mademe lie down in the street - I did recover reasonably fast and she walked me home - I never did tell her I was actually having a hypo and nor was I pregnant at the time.

I guess we all have stories about it - pregnancy however seem to magnify it all.

I have to say I feel very lucky that I feel when I am starting to drop..I get sweaty on the back of my neck., shaky hands and my breathing changes. There was only one time that I didn't feel it dropping and apparently my DH was trying to give me sugar and I was arguing with him about taking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->