Anyone else eating nuts?

Tsia

My MyloMan - he turned 1!
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone else is eating nuts?

all nuts I mean.. yes even peanuts.

I have read in some mags steer well clear.. yet on the internet there is no evidence that eating peanuts during pregnancy creates allergies or builds immunity to reactions.

I have been eating bombay mix the last couple of days and have only just realised theres the odd peanut in it. OOOPS!

Now I am thinking will my baby having peanut allergies or be just like me and be able to eat them cos it was exposed to them whilst in the womb?
I have also heard that you are prone if there is history..
But No food allergies are in my family or partners family..

I am confused. Should I stop? or just carry on as normal? I am addicted to bombay mix! lol

i think its more just eat in moderation, dont go too crazy with it like everything else really xx

Dya know what I think it is all a loada nonsense mate!

I ate dry roasted by the bagful when pregnant with my eldest, not to be a bad 'un but because I simply had never heard of the risk.

I think a little of what you fancy does you good and that your body will very very quickly tell you if something is bad for baba = bet there is some stuff that repulses you?? For me it was coffee and the smell of wine for ages!

You don't need to worry, I don't reckon!!

Plus, you are in the daredevil trimester hehe - first 12 weeks are scary development time, last 12 weeks are vital last legs, this bit is friskiness and hormones!!! So go nuts!

I'm eating nuts, just a few in my breakfast. I haven't eaten much peanut stuff recently but I will if I want it (just haven't fancied it, or rather, I've fancied other things more, but I do love peanut butter). There's no childhood allergies, asthma or eczema in my immediate family so I don't see a huge risk, personally.

I ate nuts throuought pregnancy as well. They mostly want you to stay away from nuts if there are nut allergies in your family. They are actually a great source of protein.

hey hunny, i eat nuts every week, not everday but yeah at least once a week, i've seen 3 different midwives so far in my pregnancy and each one of them has told me that as long so your not 'craving' nuts then they are fine to eat as normal, yep thats all kind of nuts! so i wouldn't worry, i've even read (somewhere cant remember where) that a study showed that women who ate nuts during pregnancy helped their babies NOT develop peanut allergies, if you know what i mean lol! (my preggo brain is bad right now nothing i ever say makes any sense lol!) anyway enjoy your nuts hun! xxxxx

I was told by my MW that if there is no allegries ect in our familys then it is safe to eat them.

xx

I'm dying for chilli nuts (since pregnant everything I eat has to be HOT HOT HOT (weird) ) but craving chilli nuts like a mad woman and I just can't bring myself to eat them :( Scared from all these fecking tales.... so just to please my own mental state not eating them til Lucy comes out to say HI...... but that's just me ;)

I do. I don't buy packs of peanuts but have them in tracker bars etc. Both me and OH don't have any allergies.

The last 3 weeks I've been craving peanuts- badly! I figure my body is telling me what it needs, so I've been eating them but mostly in the form of peanut butter granola bars. We do have allergies in my family though (I'm allergic to wheat, DH is allergic to shrimp) so we'll see how this plays out. The research on preventing allergies isn't too clear- so even with the wheat allergy I'll have to decide when/ if to give wheat to bubs. I'm hoping he/she will be spared from the wheat allergy as it makes eating out difficult.

I eat nuts and did throughout my other 2 pregnancies. My view is, that if my Nan ate them and all 4 of her children were born fit and healthy, and my Mum ate them, and all 3 of hers were born fit and healthy, then there is no harm in me doing the same. My 2 now, are perfectly healthy, so I'm happy to eat them in this pregnancy. I have a thing for almonds, cashews and dry roasted!

Nuts are really for you, as long as you don't eat too much. About a handful a day is right.

As far as allergies go, I read that eating them while pregnant helps stay off allergies.

I think your fine.

I eat nuts just about every day: I find they are a great snack with lots of fibre and protein. Just don't go overboard as they have fat! I also eat peanut butter. Mind you, there are very little food allergies in my family.

My mw said even though they now say you can eat peanuts if there are no allergies she would advise to give them a miss altogether, and I have done.
Asthma is in hubbys family and with having a houseful of cats thats the last thing we want to encourage - if there is the slightest of chances that peanuts could cause something then I'm not taking the chance. It's only for 8 1/2 months not for life to give up things and not worth the slightest of risks imo.

As long as YOU are not allergic to nuts then there is no problem with you eating nuts including peanuts during your pregnancy. A study also showed that mothers who ate peanuts and other foods associated with allergic reactions, there was a lower rate of their children developing allergies to these foods - interesting!

You are fine to eat them, don't stress at all.

xx

yes i eat things with nuts in.. things like hazelnut yoghurts, cerals with nuts in them.
i avoid everything else but see no point in this one. ive done it through my other pregnancies .

I have had a few but not many. I don't think the not eating them is so much to do with LO getting a specific nut allergy but if you or your OH has eczma or asthma that nuts can make it more likely that these things will be passed on :D This is from my midwife and the FSA :)

Everything you read says something different, but I read this https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7777373.stm which is quite recent and it says there is no need to continue with the precautionary advice that those with a family history of food allergies, eczema, hay fever or asthma should avoid peanuts. I like nuts and as a vege get protein from them so I'm eating them.

Both my partner and I have a sibling who have had either asthema or eczema, and so my midwife told me that we should stay away from peanuts. However, I have been having Crunchy Nut cereal every now and then, but not often. We somehow managed to evolve this far without some doctors saying "there may be some slight risk involved with this or that, but then again there may not." I'm of the opinion that a little and not often is better than avoiding like the plague. I mean, with things like listeriosis and salmonella, of course there is a clear reason to be very careful, but I don't think this is the same with nuts. I'm eating other nuts every now and then without worrying, but it was a conscious decision to have a little crunchy nut with peanuts every now and then.

Shadow x

I recently read in a pregnancy magazine that the Food Standards Agency has told the government that there's no need to continue telling pregnant women to avoid peanuts, even where there is a family history of other allergies. As far as I know though, the advice hasn't been changed (yet). I celebrated this news by buying a big jar of peanut butter. I've missed it so much! I can't remember what magazine I read it in, but this - https://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2008/dec/peanut08 - seems to say the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->