Anyone else get strange looks?

mrsp14

Reaction score
LO is 7..well nearly 8 months old now and i'm the only person left at my baby groups still breastfeeding... all the other mums with babies the same age have gone to formula. When i say i'm still bf people either look a bit shocked or kinda go quiet and change the subject!! God knows what people will be saying if we're still going when she's a toddler! I see no reason to stop until she wants to stop..unless of course it gets silly (like when shes at school or something lol). I'm not going back to work, her weaning is going well, and as i still kinda bf on demand it'd be a nightmare going onto formula and haveing to regulate it all...i wouldn't have a clue where to start!!!

Yeah, I used to. I get stranger looks now when La asks for 'boo boo!' I just ignored them. I've never liked to do 'the done thing' and not fitting in in this case felt like a badge of honour to me.

The looks I get when ppl hear that Otter is still BFing at 22+ months are quite funny, actually! Especially when it dawns on them that I am BFing my 9 month old AND my 22 month old. I think they want to instantly have my sanity checked. :haha:

TI am BFing my 9 month old AND my 22 month old. I think they want to instantly have my sanity checked. :haha:

Wow thats pretty amazing. I would love to get pregnant soon but i can't imagine its gonna be easy while i'm still bf. Did you get AF back or were you lucky enough to just get preggers?

I get some funny looks and the "oh you're still doing it?!" comments. There's only one of my friends who is still feeding and she is slowly stopping since her LO turned one this week.

I'm still doing it at 9 months - yeah, people seem to be more creeped out by it now. Must admit, even I find it strange sometimes when she has decided she's finished and just gets up and crawls off!

Either I don't get them, or I don't notice! She doesn't often NIP and if she does, it's very very short, as she's too busy to stay still for long. I know some people find it surprising or even shocking, but I'm just glad I'm giving my little girl a great start.

TI am BFing my 9 month old AND my 22 month old. I think they want to instantly have my sanity checked. :haha:

Wow thats pretty amazing. I would love to get pregnant soon but i can't imagine its gonna be easy while i'm still bf. Did you get AF back or were you lucky enough to just get preggers?

Thanks! :flower:

I got pg when Otter was 5 months. It was on my 3rd cycle. I got AF back when he was only 14 weeks! :wacko: But I think it had to do with him being a thumbsucker. :shrug: DK won't suck her thumb (or a dummy) so uses me. AF stayed away until she was 8 months old. She was an early oops! LOL But now I'm glad they are close together.

Some ladies find it easy to get pg when BF, some find it impossible. :wacko: Although it is nice to have them close together in some ways, don't be sad if it takes awhile. It's best to be mentally prepared for the possiblity of being ready to stop BF your older one. BF while pg is VERY hard at times.

So, whichever happens is okay. Pros and cons to both. :D

We get funny reactions off people in the area where I'm from (North East), but not so much here in Cornwall; a fair few women at my breastfeeding group are feeding/have fed toddlers, and there are a couple who are still feeding their 4 year olds. The first time I was really bothered slightly about feeding in public was a few weeks ago, when I was feeding her on a bus (mostly, to keep her quiet :haha:), and she'd been talking away to people (her version of talking, anyway!), and her legs were sticking out, waggling with her little shoes on, and it made me feel a bit, well, odd.

But then I got over it very quickly, since I'm planning on feeding her until 2 anyway, and I couldn't really give a monkeys what anyone thinks about me choosing to stick to WHO guidelines.

Yesterday, I had my baby weighed and the HV seemed surprised that she was bf. She's only 4 months old! Maybe because she's in the 75th percentile? She does have a bottle of formula every now and then though, had to supplement due to jaundice and her losing weight in the beginning.

i would love to carry on feeding my boy till he is 2, hopefully he still will but i am worried about the month when my colustrum sets in.

Thanks! :flower:

I got pg when Otter was 5 months. It was on my 3rd cycle. I got AF back when he was only 14 weeks! :wacko: But I think it had to do with him being a thumbsucker. :

My LO has sucked her thumb since she was 10 weeks old and no AF for me! She's now 8 months and still no sign!!! Guess it'll just happen when it happens!!

i get it now as maddie is not far of 7 months !! its because they say ( whoever they are ):dohh::haha: that bf till 6 months has the most benefit :thumbup: but having ff my others i fail to see how stopping at 6 months and swapping to formula could be better than my bm:dohh: any way how can you just stop:dohh: i sure as hell cant:dohh: i don't give a toss anymore:haha: i think its my choice, and usually the only people that have a prob with it are the people that never bf:shrug: so who are they to judge :nope: i think your doing amazing, i think its uncanny, that bf is so hard to start and keep it up, it all works :) and then people just expect you to stop :dohh: how does this work ? without upsetting our babies:dohh: how would a bottle fed baby like to be forced into taking a boobie even though there not used to it:dohh:!!!!

our latest comment being " she will take a bottle if she's hungry " well tbh i'm not up for upsetting my baby:shrug: so why should i? just because they,whoever the fuck they are, say so:haha: i don't think you can do any right even though bf is quite clearly best as its the most natural (i'm always justifying it to people!! ):)happydance: but why would you stop, if there's no need? they need it until there 1 don't they:dohh: and if i'm not wrong there's also lo's still having a bottle at 2 and 3 yrs old :dohh: but that's ok:dohh: my eldest had a bottle up until he was 3!!! but no one said anything? i just don't understand what people expect:dohh:
don't stop on anyone's account :nope: your, were doing fab!!! this is half the prob with bf just people opinions when in fact they no NOTHING!! even half the health proffesionals have no clue so take no notice i say that to any bf mummy!! sorry if i went on abit there just drives me nuts:haha::haha: x

After all the pain and misery of the first few months I am finally starting to enjoy BF and don't plan to give it up in the near future. Why would I want to FF when BF is free and my LO is enjoying it! Well done to all the ladies who are BF their toddlers :)

After all the pain and misery of the first few months I am finally starting to enjoy BF and don't plan to give it up in the near future.

That's what I keep saying! For loads of women it takes forever to get to a point where they are comfortable with breastfeeding, and to bow to public pressure and give a bottle seems mental! I know I struggled until she was about 4 months, and I see no point in stopping now it's so easy! :happydance:

i get looks/comments too and did with erin too as i bf til she was 21 months! i ignore them all. i don't care at all what others think about me bf. they can like it or not, i'm not going to stop :haha:

I am met with a surprised reaction when I mention that I am still BFing too, it doesn't bother me what other people think though. I'm happy to keep BFing as long as my DD wants to.

And I would find it more difficult to go and make a bottle. Much easier for lazy ol me to just bf.

i breastfed kale until he was almost 11 months old and i didn't care what people said or how they looked because i reminded them that its best for babies for the first 12 months.

People are crazzyy man. Most of my friends BF etc so it's the norm for me to see babies BF until 2 or 3 and 4 probably wouldn't make me bat an eyelid either :shrug:

I don't get the hysteria man, I watched extraordinary BFing the other day and it was all a bit WTF why is this a TV show to me? I mean come on, one of those kids was only 18 months! that's hardly out of the box is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->