anyone else using Lovenox?

staycb01

Reaction score
Hello ladies!!

I'm newly and cautiously joining again after our 9 week MMC last year. My Dr. recently started me on Lovenox shots twice a day.... however I've only been able to do them once a day since they hurt so bad and have left my tummy incredibly bruised. I plan to start doing them twice a day next week but just wanted to get myself used to them first - if that's even possible! I cannot believe that I have to do this for the next 9 months.
Anyone out there having to use Lovenox and have any tips on making it less painful?? Thank you so much!!!

I had a 12 week MMC and saw a high risk dr. If I miscarry again then I'll use it. Good luck!!

Hi ladies, yes I use as prescribed twice/day. I have Thrombophelia and Antiphospholipid Antibodies, both serious clotting conditions. Thrombophelia alone causes your blood to clot up to 4 times it normally should. If you've ever looked up thrombophelia and Lovenox / Heparin there are horrific stories of women getting massive blood clots half the size of their leg and in their arm. All you need is a part of that clot to break off and find it's way to the lungs, then it's potentially game over. When I had my first prenatal last week my doctor said she actually had a patient that died of a blood clot like this (wasn't pregnant), early 30's and upon autopsy was diagnosed with Thrombophelia.

The consequences for me with clotting conditions have been that it's taken nearly 6 years to get pregnant (clotting can impede implantation), I've had multiple mc's before 8 weeks even while I was taking baby aspirin (clearly not enough to remedy coagulation), and it has effected other pregnancies that made it past the first tri with potential for baby to not implant correctly causing later term mc (18-24 weeks) and inside the umbilical tube to coagulate, causing a blockage in nutrition to baby.

The reason Lovenox is prescribed twice/day for clotting conditions is that it wears off in 8 hours. It has no half life. It's great that way because when you go into labour you stop taking it and hopefully there's time for it to stop working before delivery. They will also give you coagulating drugs if you haven't had enough time for it to wear off. You don't want to have problems coagulating just incase you tear or hemorrhage during labour.

I recommend icing the site first. Squeeze a belly roll hard, so hard it makes you cringe. The needle going in will barely be felt if you're squeezing hard as the nerves lower down at your finger tips will be firing. Slowly ease up on the squeezing when you are deploying the syringe. You will bruise but not because it hurts, because your capillaries will release blood more readily as it's thinner with bumps and pokes to your body. I have people noticing bruises on my arms and legs when I go to my fitness classes that I didn't even know existed, you bleed internally at super slight knocks but it shouldn't actually be hurting a whole lot more because your nerves are still the same as before. The icing may help you stop bruising a little on your tummy if you don't like the look of it. I hope you can start taking your prescribed dose soon, it's really vital to both of you safety-wise if you've been prescribed it for immune issues. i have some great links for immune issues and Thrombophelia if you're interested. Take care and good luck with your next injection!

Thank you 2have4kids! I appreciate your advice - I'm going to try that tonight and start doing my shots twice a day starting tomorrow. I am borderline with having Antiphospholipid Antibodies. I just am such a bad person when it comes to needles - they give me high anxiety and I wasn't prepared for the pain or THAT much bruising so it threw me for a loop :/

Yes I take it once daily and a baby asprin due to having Factor V Leiden and MTHFR Mutation along with several other clotting factors. Once I hit 36 weeks I will start with Heparin shots twice daily since they only have half the shelf life as Lovenox. I have had 3 mc's 2 of which did not make it past 6 weeks. The shots hurt and they do bruise but they are definitely worth it! I am currently 12 weeks 2 days pregnant with a healthy little bean. Just remember every time you take one that you are doing it to protect yourself and your little bean. Are you taking baby asprin along with the Lovenox?

My Dr. wants me on the shots twice a day and I have been taking baby aspirin since my last miscarriage. It's a lot of blood thinning meds, but the Dr. wouldn't prescribe it unless she thought I needed it, I remind myself.
You are so right - it is worth it to be able to have a healthy little peanut!!! Congrats on being almost onto the 2nd tri!!! Must feel amazing!! :)

My Dr. wants me on the shots twice a day and I have been taking baby aspirin since my last miscarriage. It's a lot of blood thinning meds, but the Dr. wouldn't prescribe it unless she thought I needed it, I remind myself.
You are so right - it is worth it to be able to have a healthy little peanut!!! Congrats on being almost onto the 2nd tri!!! Must feel amazing!! :)

Thank you! It is definitely still exciting but honestly I still worry just as much. I'm sure I will be worried and scared until I am holding my baby in my arms. Keeping my fx for you hun!

I know I'm a bit late on this thread, but was searching the forums for Lovenox side effects. I'm on once a day injections due to some clotting disorders and thankfully have not experienced the pain of a miscarrage.

I too HATE needles, and my husband is just as bad as I am. As a consequence I've been asking several of my doctor/nurse friends to help with the injections. I've got the system down pat:

1. have the person administering the injections pinch the fat.
2. take several deep cleansing breaths.
3. Have them inject you on an exhale.
4. The trick to no burning is to have the needle, injection and removal all happen at the same speed. (needle in, 1,2,3, push injection in 1,2,3, pull needle out 1,2,3)

One more tip - I'm on week 4 of my daily shots and my stomach has gotten really tender. The magical nurse friend recommended rather than switching sides of my stomach as my dr. recommended divide my stomach into 6 or 7 sections and administer the shots from right to left. This way, each side gets plenty of time to heal before it is poked again.

One of my friends who does in this way manages to give me no pain, no bruise and no burning sensation. its amazing!

Good luck!

Hi there! I just found your post as I was searching the Lovenox forums. Sadly a few days ago I lost my baby boy. I was 14 weeks 2 days and began having contractions. With this being my first pregnancy I had no idea and thought they were just cramps. Went to my OB right away and he confirmed no fetal heartbeat OR growth for the past 4 weeks. I delivered him(miscarried) just a few hours later.
I had only one clot, ever, which lead to a DVT about 7 months ago and it was believed to be provoked by birth control as I have no history, no family history and all my tests came back negative with the birth control being the only provoking factor. I was on 40mg once a day so one shot, no baby aspirin.
I honestly believe that the Lovenox is what took my baby’s life. He literally stopped growing and passed away within 2 days after taking the shot beginning at 10 weeks and a day. I had major trepidation’s about taking this medication as more modern studies are showing it can cause birth defects and complications for the mother. I just wanted to share my story so that others can be aware of the potential complications. It seems like doctors hear blood clot during pregnancy and they are all too quick to throw a medication at the mother. Congratulations and best of luck to you

Ashley sorry to hear about your loss. Your perception of what happened is just that - an opinion. I’d hate to be diagnosed with serious clotting issues and read what you just wrote. Did you have a study done to help shed light on your situation?

Hi, after 5 losses I was diagnosed with Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and inject daily with Clexane (Lovenox) from 6 weeks until baby is 6 weeks old. I have had 3 successful pregnancies using this and am now pregnant again. All I can suggest is make sure you grab enough "meat" on your stomach and try to stay around an inch from your tummy button. (I've not read the other replies yet so sorry if I'm repeating lol) I try and get it done first thing in the morning. After a while you kind of get used to it and it ends up feeling more like a blood test than a cat scratch (that's what they feel like to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->