• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone gave birth in Woolwich???

Eltjuh

Mum to Lucas and Logan
Reaction score
I was just on the NHS website researching the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich, as we're gonna be moving to Woolwich in the next couple of weeks, and that's the hospital closest to our house. But most of the maternity reviews were HORRIBLE!!! Some people were happy with their care but one women had been in a lot of pain in the waiting room and had to wait ages to be taken to a room, and then got to a room with someone elses blood on the floor... :sick: And then didn't get any pain relief, not even gas and air, until she almost had the baby. And that's just one of the stories....

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else gave birth in Woolwich (or the area) and where and what your experiences were!!

Please help!!

Hi. My friend gave birth there twice. She told me it was a fantastic experience and better than her first child who was born somewhere else. The midwife she had was due to go off shift halfway through but decided to stay as she felt it would keep her more calm to have consistancy with care providers. She had all the pain relief she asked for and the first time she gave birth there the birth went more or less according to her birth plan. Her second time there unfortunately something went wrong and she had to have an emergancy c-section but she still felt that the staff at the hospital gave her and her baby the best possible care. She couldn't praise it highly enough! Her first child was born somewhere else and she hated the experience and she's now pregnant with her number 4 and although doesn't live in Woolwich she is going to spend some time with her family around her due date so she can go to that hospital again!

Eek. I am due to go to QE! I have heard by one person it was a good place and unfortunately I have had to go there over the past year for three MC's where the EPU have been fantastic.
I hope Pinkneon's friend is right. Do you know when she last gave birth there?

Minimin

Eek. I am due to go to QE! I have heard by one person it was a good place and unfortunately I have had to go there over the past year for three MC's where the EPU have been fantastic.

Minimin

Hehe I'll probably be going there anyway, as it's like across the road from our new house. And as I'll be giving birth before you - I'll let you know what it's like hahaha :p I guess I'll be going there for midwife appointments aswell, so we'll see what that's like.

Minimin

Yes! Her yougest is 18months old so I'd say 18months ago :D But that was te one she ad the emergancy c-section with. The other child who was born there is 3 I think or maybe 4 so it's be 3-4 years ago. But even with the emergancy c-section she still felt it was a good place to be

Thanks Pink Neon! :)
AltJuh! Thanks for keeping me posted. I am in Plumstead so not far at all. I have my midwife appointments at my surgery! I am at QE for my 13 week scan this week. I shall let you know how that goes... did you have yours there? how was it?

Minimin

People tend to share bad experiences on review sites much quicker than good experiences. I wouldn't worry about things you read online.

Also, every time I see the title of this thread, I misread it as 'Woolworths' at first :blush:

True! and :haha: at woolworths! I see Woolwich too much to do that. Would much rather it be woolworths :)

Thanks Pink Neon! :)
AltJuh! Thanks for keeping me posted. I am in Plumstead so not far at all. I have my midwife appointments at my surgery! I am at QE for my 13 week scan this week. I shall let you know how that goes... did you have yours there? how was it?

Minimin

No I haven't had any appointments there yet. Cause we still live in Canterbury. But my husband is supposed to start working in Woolwich soon (he should've started there today, but something went wrong) So we'll be moving on the 23rd of sept. which means I'm gonna have to change midwives and stuff.
But at least I'll still have my 20 week scan here in 2 weeks :)
Maybe we'll meet one day if we're both at hospital for midwives appointments :p
Or do they have the midwives somewhere else?? Cause mine here is at the hospital.....

Not sure how they normally do it Eltjuh. I guess once you move and register with your GP they will tell you. I am not too far from QE but far enough that I can go to my GP who is much closer LOL :)
20 weeks!! eek not long to go now! When are you moving over? We should meet for a coffee or something in Woolwich!

Not sure how they normally do it Eltjuh. I guess once you move and register with your GP they will tell you. I am not too far from QE but far enough that I can go to my GP who is much closer LOL :)
20 weeks!! eek not long to go now! When are you moving over? We should meet for a coffee or something in Woolwich!

We're moving on the 23rd. We're moving in on the army estate, woolwich common (so literally across the 'park' from QE haha).
I've never been there before though, won't see the house till the 22nd. But it should be fine - you don't really get a choice with army houses :p haha
Yeah only 2 weeks to go!!! Awesome!! Can't wait for my 20 week scan, I really really want to find out whether we're having a little boy or a little girl.... we're both hoping for a girl, but would ofcourse also be very happy with a boy!!

Did you enjoy your 13 week scan?? Was he/she moving about a lot?
When's your due date??

I havent had my 13 week scan. Its this Thursday.I think I know the houses you are talking about. Will you be stationed in Woolwich for a while?
I hope the 20th brings you good news on the Gender! Do you have other wee ones already or is this your first? First for me but have had several MC and an Ectopic where I had to have my right tube removed. It really is a miracle I have got this far and as oyu can imagine I am bricking it for this scan on thursday :(

I havent had my 13 week scan. Its this Thursday.I think I know the houses you are talking about. Will you be stationed in Woolwich for a while?
I hope the 20th brings you good news on the Gender! Do you have other wee ones already or is this your first? First for me but have had several MC and an Ectopic where I had to have my right tube removed. It really is a miracle I have got this far and as oyu can imagine I am bricking it for this scan on thursday :(

It's our first too!! Really excited!!! :D
Not sure how long we'll be in Woolwich for, as we're not sure what's gonna be going on when he gets back to battallion (as he was on a posting here in Canterbury). And he wants to get out (after 8 years). So we'll have to see what we're gonna be doing.

You did have a scan before though (seeing your profile picture). When did you have that??
Bet you're looking forward to the scan on thursday aswell though, eventhough you're nervous about it. I was really nervous aswell with my 12 week scan, cause I wasn't sure whether there was actually something there, until I saw it. And later on I was scared with my 16 week mw-appointment cause I hadn't felt him/her move for a couple of days. But we heard a nice heartbeat. We also have a doppler at home now - rented it for a month.

So sad to hear about your miscarriages, how far along were you with them??
Bet you're happy you're past the 12 weeks now, as you got way less chance of it going wrong now.

Good luck with your scan on thursday!! :) Are you hoping for a boy or girl??

Hey,
Well I hope you stay around for a bit :) will be nice to have a bandb buddy down the road :hugs:

Because of my history I have had several scans with the Early pregnancy Unit at QE- they wanted to make sure we had a HB and babba was not another EP. I was also referred to a fertility clinic in the City so had another scan then though they were not pleased....they were meant to check my uterus and ovaries with the view for fertility treatment.

The picture on my Avatar was a picture taken on the 27th of August- I had to book a private one as I was not able to wait 5 weeks between scans. As this is a seriously risky time for me.

All my other pregnancies never went past first Tri so to get over 12 weeks is amazing for me. I am still really worried though. Maybe I should get a doppler too- where did you rent yours? I have looked at several places and have decided I will get one once this 12 week scan says all is ok :)

Did you feel so 'unpregnant' at this point. I wish I could feel things moving in there!

Hey,
Well I hope you stay around for a bit :) will be nice to have a bandb buddy down the road :hugs:

Because of my history I have had several scans with the Early pregnancy Unit at QE- they wanted to make sure we had a HB and babba was not another EP. I was also referred to a fertility clinic in the City so had another scan then though they were not pleased....they were meant to check my uterus and ovaries with the view for fertility treatment.

The picture on my Avatar was a picture taken on the 27th of August- I had to book a private one as I was not able to wait 5 weeks between scans. As this is a seriously risky time for me.

All my other pregnancies never went past first Tri so to get over 12 weeks is amazing for me. I am still really worried though. Maybe I should get a doppler too- where did you rent yours? I have looked at several places and have decided I will get one once this 12 week scan says all is ok :)

Did you feel so 'unpregnant' at this point. I wish I could feel things moving in there!

Yeah I know exactly what you feel like, I really didn't feel pregnant at all. I didn't have any symptoms either so that didn't help. But the 12 week scan made me feel a lot better, seeing that little one moving around A LOT!!!

I still don't feel very pregnant, I get some kicks every now and then, some stronger than others. I have an anterior placenta so can't feel too much unfortunately, sometimes I go a couple of days without noticing them, they're probably there (the kicks) but I won't notice them if I'm busy....

We got our doppler from https://www.hi-baby.co.uk/ the cheapest one (we got) is 9.95 a month and you can keep it for a max of 7 months (but whenever you want to send it back to them in them 7 months they'll stop taking the payments when they receive it.) and they charge 5 pound for the postal fees, but that's obviously only the once.
Do keep in mind that the baby might be sitting lower than you think. Ours is usually still all the way at the bottom, right by my hipbone.

Really happy for you that you're past the 12 week point, hopefully it's all gonna be ok now :)
Would be nice to have a bump buddy up in woolwich, cause I don't really know anyone here anyway (I'm dutch myself, and my family and most my friends live in Holland, I've only moved to the UK 2 years ago) And since I don't work I don't really know anyone.... do you know anything about antenatal classes in woolwich??

Hi :wave:
Thanks for the Doppler info- I will make sure I look into it when I get one. Not going to until thursdays scan :) I have put off getting one as I think I worry enough without having the added worry about not finding a HB. I do know that the positioning can vary adn affect what you hear though :)

I have not been to any antenatal classes as yet. But there are tons around here. I am with the Plumstead group- but I am sure you will have one closer to you. Your GP will refer you to a Midwife and she will fill you in :) I will be looking into non NHS classes- probably some Yoga etc- I am also training to get my teaching cert in pregnancy Yoga :)

Dutch! how cool- Is your hubby also dutch? My work Colleague was dutch and they were so tall- I am only 5 1 so I was in awe. We are both British Asian :)

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful about the midwife/antenatals babe... :(

Minimin

Hi :wave:
Thanks for the Doppler info- I will make sure I look into it when I get one. Not going to until thursdays scan :) I have put off getting one as I think I worry enough without having the added worry about not finding a HB. I do know that the positioning can vary adn affect what you hear though :)

I have not been to any antenatal classes as yet. But there are tons around here. I am with the Plumstead group- but I am sure you will have one closer to you. Your GP will refer you to a Midwife and she will fill you in :) I will be looking into non NHS classes- probably some Yoga etc- I am also training to get my teaching cert in pregnancy Yoga :)

Dutch! how cool- Is your hubby also dutch? My work Colleague was dutch and they were so tall- I am only 5 1 so I was in awe. We are both British Asian :)

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful about the midwife/antenatals babe... :(

Minimin

Ah that's alright! I'm sure I'll find out when I get there. I would also like to do some aqua classes (can't remember what they're called, thought it was something like aquanatal or something) Anyways.... Cool! How did you get the idea of getting your teaching cert. in pregnancy yoga?? Sounds cool!

My husband is British, met him on the street randomly in Amsterdam (not what it sounds like! ;)) Dutch people aren't tall, English people are just tiny ;) When my husband first took me to his parents place, first thing his parents said was: oh she's a giant!!! Cause they're both quite small, and I'm 5'11.

LOL I like that they called you a giant :) I agree we are small LOL. Love the story of your meeting with DH! :haha: I bet people do raise their eyebrows when you say it like that

I just contacted Crook Log in Bexleyheath for Aquanatal class' There is a pool in Woolwich but the reviews have been really bad. I'll let you know what Bexleyheath comes up with.

I have loved Yoga for years and recently qualified as a teacher- I am now looking to incorporate pregnancy Yoga as a speciality for me and then for others :)

When are you due? Maybe I can help you with some Yoga once I am qualified :)

LOL I like that they called you a giant :) I agree we are small LOL. Love the story of your meeting with DH! :haha: I bet people do raise their eyebrows when you say it like that

I just contacted Crook Log in Bexleyheath for Aquanatal class' There is a pool in Woolwich but the reviews have been really bad. I'll let you know what Bexleyheath comes up with.

I have loved Yoga for years and recently qualified as a teacher- I am now looking to incorporate pregnancy Yoga as a speciality for me and then for others :)

When are you due? Maybe I can help you with some Yoga once I am qualified :)

I've never actually done yoga.... apart from the wii fit plus stuff haha :p I'm due 7th of february. :)
Thanks, looking forward to hearing about the aquanatal classes!!

Most of the time I just quickly tell people the story, but the whole story is quite long.... I'll tell you sometime if you wanna hear it. haha :p

How did you meet your OH?

I would love to hear it hun! I met DH when I was in Baltimore and he was still in London.I came home to visit family :)

Yoga is cool- I am sure you are ok if you have done the wii stuff. I did some of that too earlier in the year. My sister took the console back again :(

Early Feb! How exciting- I think I maybe able to help you with some Yoga then :)
Still havent heard back form Crook Log- I didnt see a number I could call either. I may have to pop in if they dont get back to me. their website did mention there was work being done on the main pool or something :Shrug:

How are you this morning. I have to go and sign on :( Not sure they will be giving me anything as I left my last job voluntarily :( But have to sign on until they make a decision. I get to mix with the delights of woolwich!
Speak soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->