Anyone know about exercise in pregnancy?

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi :flower:
I'm 19 weeks pregnant and have put over a stone on already :blush: it has all went to my bum, thighs and love handles :blush: I'm wobbly and starting to get cellulite :blush: and I'm panacking about having to shows these parts of me when having my baby! That may sounds stupid but I'm just being honest. I can't even show my hubby my body anymore :cry:

Anyway I have no idea about exercise and havnt really done any for a while! :blush: so I'm wanting to know which would be the best exercise to do to get rid of the fat wobbly cellulite areas on my thighs and bum and safe to start at 19 weeks pregnant after basically no other exercise than running round after a 3 year old.

Thankyou! :flower:

Something low impact, maybe swimming or walking? I walked a lot throughout both my pregnancies and if your toddler is anything like mine a long walk was gentle exercise in comparison to running after him!

swimming is the best thing to do as you can continue this up to giving birth. ALso if you dont really do much excercise you shouldnt suddenly start doing too much.

I exercised hardcore throughout all my pregnancies - this one included. I mean HARD - jump squats, sprints, burpees, weight lifting - but I have been doing this for over a decade, so it is no big deal. I am also a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I sorta have to stay active. :)
If you don't exercise already (which I gather you don't), I agree that walking and swimming are good ideas, as are prenatal yoga or other prenatal fitness classes. The best defense is a good offence, right? It is great for you, your baby and can make labour much easier.
Good on you for taking steps towards positive change hon!

I can't swim :blush: and I do like walking but does it have to be fast walking? And will this help get rid of the fat ass and thighs? Haha x

I do yogabellies and a lot of it is leg work, squats and strong poses that make your thighs and butt ache! Walking will definitely help those areas as well.

Just go for gentle strolls and be mindful of what you eat, I wouldnt start doing any exercise you havent done pre pregnancy as it can put a lot more strain on your body, also see if there are any ante natal classes you can go to like aqua aerobics etc - you dont need to swim for classes like that.

I can't swim :blush: and I do like walking but does it have to be fast walking? And will this help get rid of the fat ass and thighs? Haha x

A trim body begins in the kitchen, so eat as clean as you possibly can - and eat often - like every 2 to 3 hours eat about a handful of clean (i.e. non-processed) food like fruits, veggies and some whole grains and/or a thumb-sized portion of healthy fats (i.e. raw nuts, avocado, cheese) in addition to your regular meals. Make sure your 3 regular meals are portion controlled and balanced. No heaping, gut bursting plates :) (Admittedly, I don't know many pregnant women who have room to fill up!)

As for your pace of walking, I'd recommend starting at a comfortable pace and seeing how you feel - don't go full out right away. Better safe than sorry. If you don't want to take prenatal classes (or can't :)), aim for some body weight squats and lunges at home. Start with 30 per day and then move up, if you can. Keep your hands on your waist, not over your head. You can also do some wall or countertop push-ups.

There is a pretty popular misconception that pregnant women should not have their heart rates over 140bpm or do anything that involves their arms being over their heads. If you have been sedentary/not exercise prior to pregnancy, it is probably a good idea to stick to this - albeit women who have been active before hand usually don't have any problem doing presses and taking their heart rate slightly higher.

The point is to listen to your body and err on the side of caution if you are not sure.

Like I said in my previous response, I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor - and I have certification and pre and postnatal health and fitness. I am also a nutritionist, so do feel free to ask me anything. If I can't answer, I can try to find out.

Basically, eat as clean as possible and try to get in some light to moderate exercise everyday. That is my recommendation for you, based on what I know about you. You may very well be able to do more, but since I have never done a fitness assessment on you, I would not feel comfortable suggesting anything else. :) I hope this helps!

For those who are swimming, what type of suit are you wearing? Most of the maternity suits I see look too.... frilly? Seems like too much drag and water will get caught. I was a competitive swimmer, so I'm used to sleek suits. Hmm...

A trim body begins in the kitchen, so eat as clean as you possibly can - and eat often - like every 2 to 3 hours eat about a handful of clean (i.e. non-processed) food like fruits, veggies and some whole grains and/or a thumb-sized portion of healthy fats (i.e. raw nuts, avocado, cheese) in addition to your regular meals. Make sure your 3 regular meals are portion controlled and balanced. No heaping, gut bursting plates :) (Admittedly, I don't know many pregnant women who have room to fill up!)

As for your pace of walking, I'd recommend starting at a comfortable pace and seeing how you feel - don't go full out right away. Better safe than sorry. If you don't want to take prenatal classes (or can't :)), aim for some body weight squats and lunges at home. Start with 30 per day and then move up, if you can. Keep your hands on your waist, not over your head. You can also do some wall or countertop push-ups.

There is a pretty popular misconception that pregnant women should not have their heart rates over 140bpm or do anything that involves their arms being over their heads. If you have been sedentary/not exercise prior to pregnancy, it is probably a good idea to stick to this - albeit women who have been active before hand usually don't have any problem doing presses and taking their heart rate slightly higher.

The point is to listen to your body and err on the side of caution if you are not sure.

Like I said in my previous response, I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor - and I have certification and pre and postnatal health and fitness. I am also a nutritionist, so do feel free to ask me anything. If I can't answer, I can try to find out.

Basically, eat as clean as possible and try to get in some light to moderate exercise everyday. That is my recommendation for you, based on what I know about you. You may very well be able to do more, but since I have never done a fitness assessment on you, I would not feel comfortable suggesting anything else. :) I hope this helps!

Thankyou this helps a lot! I was pretty inactive before pregnancy, asin didn't really work out. I am 5 ft 2 and weighed 7 stone before pregnancy so even though I was unhappy with my bum and legs I was afraid to work out incase I lost any weight as the top half of me looked too skinny already! I seem to only put weight on my bottom half! Hope this makes sense!
And Thankyou for offering to help with any questions I have I will get back to you on that as only time for a quick reply right now but Thankyou for your advice xx

For those who are swimming, what type of suit are you wearing? Most of the maternity suits I see look too.... frilly? Seems like too much drag and water will get caught. I was a competitive swimmer, so I'm used to sleek suits. Hmm...

Too funny I literally just wrote about this in another post. I totally agree with the extra drag factor! Think of our biceps and how sleek we will feel to go back to a normal nike number haha! More than anything I find it really weird feeling all frilly and frou-frou in the pool when I'm used to feeling well.... Functional!! ( if you fancy a dragons den style maternity racer suit moment let me know !!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->