Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

I think most prenatals have 800mcg of folic acid, which is plenty. A lot of our food products are now enriched with folic acid as well.

lola33
I have a bit of quesyness throughout the day no vomiting...boob soreness comes and goes and is mostly there at night. A bit tired but I am tired usually, lol.

Leilani,
I am taking a prenatal with folic in it so that why I was curious if anyone else was told to take more...

Anyone have a scan yet...I am still waiting and hopefully I will get one at 12 weeks or maybe 10? I am so anxious to make sure everything is okay.

Hi there,

I just turned 39 last week, and my DH will be 40 this week. We look at each other and say, What are we going to do with a baby? It took so much to get and stay pregnant, we didn't dream beyond that. Love it, I say. Same things we do now, except with more stuff.

I think the timing of scans depends on where you are. In the states they seem to do one earlier (I had one at a confirmation visit at 7 weeks) and from what I've read on here in the UK they won't do a scan, or even see you, until 12 weeks.

This is an IVF baby for me, so I had lots of peeks early on. I have a pic of cells on a microscope slide even! But haven't looked under the hood since week 9 and i am going bonkers wanting to check in there! I think it will be easier in a couple weeks when I can feel movement.

No one was concerned about folic acid for me, just to take the regular amounts in prenatals and try to eat a variety of foods. I started drinking some orange juice but have fallen off that. I may be the only one worried about getting enough iron since I get sick if I take supplements containing it.

I had one of the genetic test panels done around week 12. They also do a gender check by blood, so now my OB and her staff know but I don't. I'm hoping to stay team yellow, we will see if that changes. Last night I had my second dream of my baby girl though. We talk while she is fully dressed inside me. She wanted to go home so of course I am freaking out about what that may mean. Tricky brains keeping us on edge.

Hope you are all doing well. It is nice to see some other first time mamas here who won't be the youngest in the car pool line.

Letsgo,

Aww thats so cute, I think she wants to come home to you, outside of you, lol.

I haven't had really any dreams yet but I think its a girl, lol.

You seem to be well into your pregnacny so thats great :)

Its so worrisome early on but I am sure it doesn't get easier as time passes.

Do all of you have lots of symptoms, I don't really have many so of course that makes me nervous.

Jenny, my 1st ultrasound is Tuesday at 8 weeks. Can't wait ! and no I don't have lots of symptoms, but doctor told me it was nothing to be worried about. I just have sore boobs, I'm a little tired, and I eat more for sure, but that's it, no nausea so far !

Sorry for the late response! I wanted to jump in. Congrats to all of you newly pregnant! :)

I'm 35 and pregnant with my first. Currently in my 27th week.

The first trimester was definitely a time of extra concern! Unfortunately, there are a lot of losses. You see it all over the internet. Googling anything about advanced maternal age and/or the first trimester brings up pages and pages of alarming stats and painful personal experiences.

I find that being older sort of lends itself to a different perspective and maybe more serious outlook on life in general. I would not have experienced the same concerns that I have now about pregnancy and motherhood, when I was younger. Speaking for myself of course!

I was sort of sad to have the realization that life experience has swept away a bit of my optimism. (or, maybe I have a clearer sense of priority-IDK) I didn't really feel like I could get carried away with the excitement of having my first baby, with such an acute grasp on the seriousness of everything. (existential EVERYTHING-everything.) I felt kinda ripped off by that. LOL! Although, it has gotten better as the pregnancy progresses normally and my baby has a better and better shot to survive AND thrive.

I vacillate between joy, excitement, doubts, fears- you name it! Sprinkle in some crazy hormones, and it's really quite a trip. ;-) And it's normal.

People don't often turn to the internet to bear their uneventful stories and experiences. IF they did, you'd probably find a lot more stories about older moms with completely boring pregnancies -birthing normal/healthy babies- than anything else.

I hope that helps to quell SOME of your concerns. I won't even suggest you stay away from "the google".... because, you wont. LOL! I don't!

Congrats to you and the others here! Sending you guys ALL the sticky dust in the world!!!!!! You have every reason to have just as much faith in having healthy and beautiful babies- as anyone else! <3

Monzter, that is super sweet! You are so right about not hearing the boring stories. It is like when you talk to your friends about their boyfriends and only hear the bad parts because who wants to share/ hear a big pile of mush? Maybe after birth we should fill the internet with stories of our super boring terms to try to balance it out.

As for symptoms, I had so few I was preparing myself for failure. Just a little queasiness in the evenings and being tired. Nearly always tired. And some heartburn/ little burps, but I've always had some reflux. No cravings, just sometimes specific things I didn't wasn't (usually whatever was for dinner :( ). Some nasal/ breathing issues and nosebleeds -- nothing I would put together as equalling pregnant. My breasts started to ache a bit, then all the blue veins in them slowed down for a while. The bump started to kick in around weeks 12/13 --about when I started to pick up a few pounds--and is very noticeable now at week 17 if I wear a maternity top versus just looser clothes. I am up a little over a cup size now (and 8 pounds) but the girls can't keep pace with the bump. I didn't expect to need new bras so soon.

Hope every one is doing well. I am celebrating sleeping for 7 hours in a row! That hasn't happened in ages. I'm usually up for hours in the middle of the night.

Thanks so much Monzter,

That does help me out a lot, lol.
Its so funny how we fixate on the negative and not the positives, lol
Like right now I am stressed because I barely have any symptoms, if any, stressed because I haven't really gained any weight and only have noticed the annoying bloating, lol.

I am focusing on what COULD go wrong rather than what COULD go right.

I have had no reason to suspect anything has gone wrong with this pregnancy just my on head...

I am going to try and look on the bright side until there is reason not to :)

Thanks all so much these stories have been very helpful!

:hugs:

When I googled some of the things that were of concern to an older pregnant woman, it helped me to see the percentage rather than the ratio. Particularly when they say your chance of a chromosomal abnormality doubles (or whatever the number is). Doubling 0.25% is still a ridiculously small chance and that made me feel a lot better about the healthy development of my boy (who is due today...hurry up little man, mama is getting impatient).

Good luck as the weeks tick by.

Wow...
I am so happy for this thread, everyone is making me feel so much better :)

I love hearing the stats you posted Letsgo. Thanks for that.

I think it is very important for older mothers to support each other.

I hope I will be able to post an ultrasound pic in a few weeks!

I haven't really had any other confirmation of pregnancy other than my blood work at 4 ish weeks...uggg.

I have been getting some headaches though which are concerning me. I know they are a pregnancy symptom and I am prone to headaches anyways but I am still nervous about it...I know you can take Tylenol but I try to avoid it anyways. I am going on almost 24 hours of one headache now :-( I did take one extra strength Tylenol at 1 am this morning and was able to sleep for a bit but it came back :-(

I am going to try to find some peppermint oil and see if that helps.

Hope you find some relief soon, hun. Tons of water and eating something every 2-3 hours during the day helped me get headaches under control somewhat, but I still couldn't avoid sinus pressure problems with crazy weather swings. I took Tylenol more often than I was happy with.

I get headaches too :/ I noticed I get them when I don't eat snacks or enough water like Let'sgo said. I do take a Tylenol if it doesn't pass.

Okay good I will try that!

I have my second prenatal appointment with my family doctor this week, Thursday. I will be 10 weeks.

I am hoping if he doesn't do an ultrasound he will at least try to find a heart beat.

I am so anxious to hear or see something but at the same time I am sooo scare about NOT seeing or hearing something you know!

Please Please let this little beany be growing healthy inside me.
I don't really feel pregnant. I have minor at best symptoms, very slight bb tenderness which seems to be fading, minor queeziness which also is pretty much non-existant now :-(

Ugggg, when does this get easier lol

well, that's the easier ! lol You don't feel horrible, I guess that's good.
I have exactly the same feelings as you do. Boobs are less sore, I don't feel pregnant as well, I'm just tired.
I have my fist US tomorrow yay

don't worry and enjoy !

Congrats :)
I will be awaiting your post to let us know how it goes, lol
Thats super exciting, you nervous or just anxious?

kinda both ! I want to know if the baby is fine and if the fibroid is not growing too... I read it happens often. I also saw that the bump is bigger with fibroid, but mine is outside of the uterus, and not inside, so I have no idea. I do have a little bump, but might be bloat, lol.

What about you? any bump?

Just bloating....but that seems to have calmed down a bit, I think anyways.

My weight has stabilized also, I think, which is good but worrysome in a way.

I know I won't feel better until a scan or hearing the heartbeat or something soon....good luck today. :hugs:

well, everything is good. I got a heartbeat and due date is 07/06/2015. Fibroid got a little bigger. I'll talk with my doctor Monday, but seems like all is fine !

Yay congrats!
I am sooo happy for you!
That must give you some good piece of mind.
Did it take long to find the heart beat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->