anyones baby got a sacral dimple?

M

Maman

my son has one, noone has said anything about ti but husband reckons we should see a doctor about it as i have kidney problems and after a google were a little concerned.

i dont get it. i took folic acid, and im a cerials-o-holic.

eek my daughter has one but until I saw your post I had no idea it had a name or could be an issue - now I am freaked out!

I'm surprised it wasn't picked up at the hospital check when he was born, unless it was and the doctor decided it was fine. Sacral dimples are not always a sign of a problem, and while they are present in spina bifida it does not automatically mean spina bifida.

Isobel has a sacral dimple, so do I and so does my mum. The doctor who saw it at the hospital referred us for an outpatient check at 12 weeks as the dimple was quite deep and he could not see the bottom of it to make sure it was sealed. He was hoping when she was bigger it would be easier to see but it wasn't so she went for a scan at 4 months and everything was fine. I had no concerns though by that stage as she's a very strong mobile baby and was rolling around the room by then!

Where is the dimple? Isobel's is right above her bum crack (sorry best description lol!) and apparently the lower the dimple the better. Can you see the bottom of it? Does it have hair?

its about 2cm above, it does have hair. and it is sealed. im more worried about the link between that and his kidneys as i have a kidney problem and on one side of my family theres a few people with kidney issues but obvuiously the spina bifida thing is a worry.

I'd take him along to the doctor to be checked out, just to be on the safe side. It's probably fine though. I hadn't heard of the kidney connection before. When Isobel went for her scan the technician was very chatty lol but it was interesting, he said even with spina bifida there are massive variances in severity and he'd scanned oaps for other issues and found undiagnosed spina bifida (these were physically fit people apparently). I know you're more concerned about the kidney thing but just saying this as if you're worried about sb it is not always life-affecting. Good luck!

My oldest daughter and I both have one. Neither have ever been a problem for us but the doctor did check her's at birth the make sure he could see the bottom to make sure it was covered in skin.

I would get it checked just in case though since they didn't say anything. Wikipedia has a good definition and description. It does today there is can be linked to kidney problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacral_dimple

Louie had one but it's disappeared. I just used to make sure it was clean, the MW advised a cotton bud. She had no other concerns

yeah i had read the wikipedia on it. maybe oh is right a trip to the docs can do no harm. hes got really strong legs, then the pediatrician did his tests at 1 day old he managed to lift up his head and try to crawl forward, she was surprised so i guess thats a good sign. He was born 10lb8 and had to have blood sugar checks which were ok but low, and he pees ever such a lot, in size 1 and 2 nappies they both leak really easily, so i think i will get it checked out.

My daughter has one , really freaked me out at first but the doctors reassured me it was fine just to make sure it stayed clean . My husband calls it her second bum hole , lol .

I have one and so do 3 of my sisters. The only problem we have encountered are pilonidal cysts. I had an op 3 years ago to have it lanced and it has come back back this week so I am currently trying antibiotics to see if it will clear that way. One of my sisters has had to have the op once and my other sis has had it done twice! They are awfully painful and annoying!

Wow, what?
I never knew this was a problem? I always call it her 'second bum hole' - it looks like a tiny bum crack? What am i looking out for here? Help me please? X:dohh:

My daughter has one , really freaked me out at first but the doctors reassured me it was fine just to make sure it stayed clean . My husband calls it her second bum hole , lol .

just seen this after i panicked and wrote my post. I call it that too haha! X

My son has a dilated kidney and sacral dimple. The enlarged kidney was noticed at our 20 week scan, followed monthly after. When he was born they checked the dimple and his kidneys. The kidney seems to be working properly and is not as enlarged. I would make an appointment even though IM sure your baby is just fine :)

My daughter has one, but it is relatively shallow and closed. None of the doctors we have seen since she was born have been concerned at all. She is hitting all of her developmental milestones early. We also call it her second hole!

My daughter and I have one and so does my nephew. No one said anything about it at the hospital, I think it's quite shallow though. I wasn't aware of the kidney stuff until reading this, I have had kidney problems in the past.. I think I'll just bring it up with the HV on Monday.

I do find it hard to keep clean, sudocreme gets stuck in there..

My little one still has a really hairy bum! I can't picture at the moment if there's hair in the dimple or not, I'll have to look next time I change her.

I would get it seen to, some sacral dimples are a sign of spinal tethering.

wow all there babies with kidney problems my lb has cysts on his kidneys. I wouldnt read too much up on the wiki as anyone could have written that on there its mout accurate. How is you lo op? X

Thomas has 2. The doctors can see the bottom of it so they're not worried. Speaking of kidneys, at 17 weeks they could only find one but at 18 weeks they found the 2. Just one of things though :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->