Anything safe to take to help with sleep?

kswts

Reaction score
I am 4 weeks, 4 days along.
I have a sleeping disorder and had to have sleep aids prior to my pregnancy. Obviously now I cannot take them and have been waking up so much in the night and it's hard to get restful sleep.
Is there anything safe to take to help with sleep?

I think that you would have to talk to your doctor, but I've taken melatonin with almost all my pregnancies. It's helped me loads.

I have to wait until November to enroll in insurance so i don't have a doctor yet but i will definitely be asking when i call to make my first appointment. It just stinks that I have to battle through almost 2 weeks of trouble with sleep before I can ask :(

My OB says benadryl is fine to take, and that's in most over the counter sleeping aids. Just don't get anything with like pain relievers or decongestants in it.

Can you call a doctor or nurse to ask before you get your insurance?

Diclegis or Unisom. They use the first as an anti-nausea for pregnancy but the anti-histamine portion is used as a sleep aid. (the second medication) Anecdotally it kept me drowsy most of the time but that's because I was taking round the clock.

I took melatonin during my pregnancy and Dr actually recommended it. But be careful about the strength. I think Dr said nothing over 2mg.

Do some research in to Valerian root, its a great natural alternative but have not checked its suitability for pregnancy.

Have you tried meditation? When I am struggling to drift off I find a Body scan meditation really relaxing. Very basically you lay and just focus on your breathing for a few minutes then start working your way up your body, 'and with this out breath relax your toes, then the tops of your feet....' I very rarely get to my head because I'm asleep! There will be a suitable one on YouTube to listen to if you prefer to listen to one than do it yourself.

Just a thought of meds aren't an option x

Have you tried meditation? When I am struggling to drift off I find a Body scan meditation really relaxing. Very basically you lay and just focus on your breathing for a few minutes then start working your way up your body, 'and with this out breath relax your toes, then the tops of your feet....' I very rarely get to my head because I'm asleep! There will be a suitable one on YouTube to listen to if you prefer to listen to one than do it yourself.

Just a thought of meds aren't an option x

This isn't a bad idea. I'll add to it. I used to just focus on a daydream until the daydream became a dream. I'd never really remember when that happened. It helped me separate from the troubles of the day by focusing on something fun. Definitely a YMMV thing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->