**April Bunnies 2015**

It's the 2nd here so happy birthday perplexed!
Amelie happy birthday to your daughter. There seems to be a few of us with December babies. Dd's birthday is only at the end of the month though.

I'm doing the gtt next week. Also the 3 hour one. I hate it but at least it's getting out of the way. I don't think anywhere over here does the one hour test.

Christina sorry about your pain. I'm glad the nurse got back to you though.

Scottish, sorry about your sons chicken pox.

Winter has hit full force here. I know it's not as cold as some of you but I hate being cold. Its expensive to heat the apartment and I go to work on an ebike and my hands are frozen off by the time I get there! I'm lying here in bed trying to convince myself to get up!

I went to visit where I used to work. I used to work at a residential non profit for individuals who were born with or sustained a traumatic brain injury. Anyway, felt like stopping by as it is close to where I live to deliver some Mtn. Dew to someone for his birthday b/c I did it for the 3 years I worked there! Anyway, he uses a dynavox to talk. I get no hello... no thank you... no how are you.....

I get a....

"You're walking like a pregnant person now" :haha:

Thanks for the info Christina!

I scheduled my level II ultrasound today. I have to have an abdominal one and a transvaginal one done (geez, fun times!) I also have to have a genetic counseling session before my ultrasound. It's all scheduled for December 18th. I'll be there for about 3 hours. It's all kind of intense right now and I'm wondering if all of this is really so necessary.

Rebecca, could you questions how necessary it all really is? At least you know they're being proactive.

I am not in a Christmas mood whatsoever. I'm finding that I'm losing my patience so easily now since my pelvic area/hip has been really bad. DD asked when we are putting our tree up and I just have no interest! I still have a ton of people to shop for and I don't want to do it. I'm a total Scrooge this year!

I was going to ask if they call me why they are doing all of this already because it's a little intimidating. But I do think they are just being proactive. It's just a lot of time all at once for something that could possibly be nothing. Or I don't know I just thought maybe we should wait for the quad screen results to come back before going down the genetic counseling route.

For anyone hoping for a natural hospital birth or a low intervention birth, I recommend the book "Natural Hospital Birth - The Best Of Both Worlds" by Cynthia Gabriel. I got it yesterday and I'm done already. It is incredibly empowering and has tons of advice for getting through the first part of your labour at home, how to handle nurses who want to do internal checks for their convenience, and how the support person can help you achieve the birth you are looking for. It talks about VBACS and dealing with the emotions that come with having a c-section. I didn't realize until I got pregnant again how disappointed I was over my c-section and I found that part a particularly good read. I'm going to go through with a pen and highlighter and make my OH and sister read it so we are all on the same page.

I wonder if baby is going through a growth spirt this week. I have had a pulling feeling on my sides and bottom of my "bump" (that seems to only be a bump when standing or laying on my side still lol:haha:) all day today it seems. It's not really painful... but sure is noticeable. Also feels like my stomach is harder today than it has been in the last few days. :shrug:

northern that book sounds really good. We are going to see a hypnobirthing instructor on Thursday, I hope we like her cause I really want to do the class.
Why do nurses wanna do internal exams all the time?

Wow Rebecca that's intense, at least they tell you what's going on. Hope it all goes well for you :) When I had my anatomy scan they told me we're going to come back in 4 weeks for the second part of the scan?? Which I didn't understand but DH thought it was because they didn't see everything they needed... I hope it's not like oh there's something wrong we just didn't wanna freak you out.

I feel like my bump is really kicking in now, I'm sure around Christmas time it will be very pronounced. I went to motherhood maternity the other day and saw a Jessica Simpson maternity dress that was beautiful, but it was like 80 bucks. Not sure I wanna pay that much for a dress that I'll probably just use once. I wanna look nice though for DH's work's Christmas party, I'm meeting all those people for the first time lol.

My lower back/buttocks pain is getting worse when I walk for extended periods of time, today we walked Hollywood Blvd and by the end it hurt like hell, and is extending further and further down into the left buttock and almost into the thigh. :/
Other than that I'm just excited for school to be over, only 3 weeks left thank god!

Scan day today!!!!! Just over 10 hours to wait!!! Argh hate my hospital for giving me a evening scan!!
21 weeks today :-D

Good luck at your scan Kirsty :flower:

In the UK my experience of hospital inductions is maximum internals every 4hrs and less if possible.

I don't really know how I feel about the birth. I suspect for good medical reason I'll be induced between 38-40 weeks. I fought with my 2nd induction to make things more natural - I was probably unlucky but I am not sure how much that helped.

I honestly think if my consultant recommended a section I would agree.

I'm halfway today!

Good luck for your scan Kirsty!

Sorry for the ladies who are having pain.

I went away for the weekend to visit the in laws, not neccessarily a good idea when you're pregnant and get cross easily!

Wow amelie internals every four hours sounds like bliss! I got checked every hour and considering how long things went on, it was a lot of checks.
I wish someone had warned me beforehand what the internal checks were like. I honestly felt like I had been raped after the first one and it was so incredibly painful. So of course I was tense every time they came to me which only made it worse. After the fourth or fifth time I finally got a nurse who knew what she was doing and it was just uncomfortable not painful. I asked for her every time after that.

We just put up the Christmas tree. Between DD and the cat I'm not sure how long it's going to last though!

4 hours is the minimum unless they really have to - I begged to be checked at 9.5cm as I so badly wanted to push with DD2 but was scared to.

I think with DD2 they started my induction at 10am and didn't then check me again until 8pm. They really don't like risking infection.

Good luck Kirsty today!

I was also induce last time and had to beg the mw to check me. It's 6 hour checks in the hospital I was in! Anyway I gave birth not long after my internal check. Went from 3cm to water breaking to birthing in a hour lol.

I am scared being induced this time as it happened so fast last time oh never made it and I nearly gave birth on a ward floor! I will make sure they listen to me this time when I say baby's coming haha

My second induction was a bit like that Scottish.

I had an awful reaction to prostin so they left things along to try and get my uterus to calm down - my uterus was just constantly contracting but not causing me to dilate. They broke my waters as a last ditch attempt in the end at 8.30, I was 4cm at 9.30 when labour kicked in and DD2 was born at 10.46!

Checks happen way more often here. They want to know constantly how much progress you've made. I'm agreeing to one as soon as I go in, and then I'm going to tell them that they're smart people and if they can't tell what stage of labour I'm in by other signs, I'm probably not progressed enough.

I'm also just going to labour at home as long as humanly possible. I would rather be pushing her out on a stretcher going to a birthing suite than being stuck in the hospital. I'm having my sister with me so I feel safe trying to get through it at home as long as possible. I'm hoping that minimizes checks too.

Home birth isn't an option here or else I would be doing it.

I think I only got checked a couple of times with DS, once in triage, once when they changed over mws and then they checked when I wasn't progressing and figured he was coming out at a funny angle and they then transferred me from the birthing centre to labour and delivery.

This time hopefully there won't be too many checks as it'll be a home birth.

Button- Happy halfway today! I laughed when I read that about seeing your in-laws. Did you get into it with them?

Northern- Thanks for the information about that book. I am going to check it out. I actually was only checked about 4-6 times (can't remember for sure) in a 24-hour period. But I think that was mostly my doctor saying she didn't want anyone else to check me. The only other person who checked me besides my doctor was one midwife that she herself asked to check. Not one single nurse even tried to check me. I had one male doctor on-call who said he was going to check me at first and I said, "No, you're not. I'll wait for my doctor to get here." He respected that. I am sure I wasn't pleasant, but I am very much against unnecessary interventions.

Kirsty- I hope your scan goes great today!

After feeling very unsettled by all of this stuff that was going on, I decided to call the specialty clinic this morning. Basically, I wanted to know if I had the right to refuse any of the services. The more I thought about it, the more it just seemed like too much to me. I felt like I went from being treated like there's most likely nothing wrong to suddenly being an expectant mother of a child with a genetic problem..without any proof of anything. The lady was very nice today. She said I can refuse any or all of the services. I said I honestly just didn't see the point of the genetic counseling when, up until this point, I've been told that they aren't even sure if they saw anything. So, she talked with their doctors there and the genetic counselor and they've switched things around for me. Instead of going there and doing genetic counseling straight away, I am going to have my ultrasound done first. Then, only if one of the doctors sees anything worth noting, will I have any sort of counseling. If they see nothing, I'll just go home.
Even though the genetic counseling slot is still open for me, I feel better about it this way. I'm not sure that makes any sense. But I no longer feel like I'm going in being treated as someone whose baby already has a problem and instead I feel like we're now taking it one step at a time like I think we should.

If I managed to avoid induction and go into labour naturally I'd be scared of staying at home too long, my Mum's 3rd labour was 45minutes!

We live 30+ mins from the hospital.

And I had a hemorrhage last time. Sort of puts me off...

Hope you get all results soon Rebecca it's hard at this point waiting around and you made the right decision! Xxxx

Amelie yes I am also scared if I labour naturally (which I know I won't as I was very overdue with dd before going into labour) so because this is a due date induction I am sure baby will still be there for Induction! If I did happen to labour naturally I will be straight to hospital! I am lucky it's only 20 min drive but parking is a big issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->