April Munchkins 2013- enjoying our wonderful babies!

Painting was a success!! Hurray! The dresser got two coats of yellow and hopefully that will be enough, but we have tons of paint left if its not.

When you ladies talk about a cot, is that the same as what I would call a crib? My parents have offered to buy us our crib, so I just have to pick out the one I like! :happydance:

Tonight DH and I are out for dinner and off to see "Great Big Sea" in concert as our anniversary gift to each other. I'm so looking forward to it, DH and I are both big fans and their concerts are so much fun!

Readytomum glad the painting went well! I saw something on Pinterest today you would have liked - a dr Seuss themed bookcase for a nursery, very cute!

Yes when we say cot we mean a crib like this
https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...care%20Takeley%20Dropside%20Cot%20-%20Antique

But then if I said crib I would mean something like this...
https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...-_-Mothercare%20Swinging%20Crib%20-%20Natural

I would actually love a crib like the one above for our room as well as a Moses basket for downstairs, but it would all be too much expense for just a few months.

a cot is like this

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=...160&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0,i:174

I didn't know how to explain it lol.. Hope you have a brilliant night out tonight! xx

Readytomum hope you have a lovely eve!!

I'm awaiting any info on mattresses as its my next thing to research! I'm still undecided on the pram set....they are so expensive :(

Hey ladies, hoping everyone is having a great weekend! For mattresses we are going for an all natural material one, as that is important to me. Haven't picked a specific one yet. I got a less expensive crib because I knew natural mattresses are pricier than the regular kind. And also because we are going to use a mini cosleeper next to our bed for the first few months, so didn't want to spend much on a crib. But that's just me :) Hoping we can borrow the cosleeper from MIL's friend and just get a natural mattress for that as well to save some more money.

My MIL does childcare and a lot of her clients have given her baby clothes so I know I will be able to get a sweet haul there once we know the sex of the baby. Only three more days til scan day!! (I don't count today or day of scan, obviously, so that its less days :haha:)

Hi ladies, hope ur all ok, cute bump pics! Yay to readymom for painting the dresser! And wow nimbec that's so lucky to find all that stuff so cheap! With Paige I got all new stuff from mothercare etc, I found some stuff she hardly wore and for the price I paid pointless! I was hoping to borrow bits off sil if we have a boy but she went and sold it all :( so will have to look else where! I need to get new mattress, I got hypoallergenic sprung mattress for Paige with removable top to wash from babies r us, was £159 and I got it in a sale for £70 so was lucky, will prob he the same this time but will wait for a sale again lol!
Doggy lover as for maternity, it completely depends on you, your pregnancy and the kind of work you do! I worked full time 42 hours a week as assistant manager in a shop/cafe so was on my feet constantly, it was my plan to work up to2 weeks before due date but a month before I couldn't do it anymore, but luckily I had holiday to take so used that instead so didn't cut into my maternity leave! But it completely depends on you and I think you have some rights to change your mind if you give certain notice! You can look on government website it will tell you your rights to maternuty leave etc! Just do t over do it :) xxxx

Just got back from MIL's for dinner tonight, scored a Moby Wrap she got from a friend, and its black which is the color I would have picked anyway :happydance:

That's great kirstabelle!! I think the moby wraps look the most comfy sort. I won't be getting one just yet, but I definitely like the look of them. And I like them even better if they are free!

Looks like we are getting some good bargains!

Kealz, I'm a teacher so kind of on my feet most of the day, although I can easily stop that if I get tired. I guess I'll speak with my headmaster today about what would happen if I need or want to go a bit earlier than discussed. Thanks :)

The only baby clothes we have gotten have been new...but from tesco :haha: so definitely not breaking the bank. Primark is also going to get a visit in the near future!! I want to buy new so that they will last for next couple of babies (fingers crossed!) but I don't want to buy expensive in case they don't last, if that makes sense?!

Just thought I'd add this...

I'm 45% baked!!! :happydance::happydance::wohoo::wohoo::wohoo:

Do you ever look at other people's tickers and think "they are so far ahead of me! It's nt fair!" well I remember being about 11% baked, and seeing someone's ticker said 45% and thinking "oh my gosh that is so much! And so far away!"

Now it's meeeee!!!

Now I'm jealous of people who are 65% and over!!!! I'm never happy!!

Readytomum- How was the concert? xx

nimbec - you can have either spring mattress or foam mattress, I prefer foam because springs are uncomfortable IMO, But the foam mattress has to not be a very cheap one because you want one with holes and good ventilation in case baby rolls over onto tummy during the night. Doesn't really happen but ya know. You don't have to get a major expensive one, you can get them in Argos just as good but you don't want the very cheap ones either. As for pram set, my favorite so far is the Obaby Zezu, a lot of ladies were saying how you have to buy a Moses bed mattress to cover the buggy straps but I found a quote from the manufacturer who says that you are meant to thread the straps through the pram bed liner so baby can be strapped in, in pram mode too! I think it's fantastic, have a look :) xx

Kristabelle - so exciting that in 3 days you will now what you are having!! :D Well done on scoring a Moby Wrap!! We will be getting something like that too as I have to do the school run, and it's almost impossible to walk up the pathway let alone get a buggy up there, I only live across the road so quicker to just carry the baby I guess, In Norway we lived next to a massive forest and a lake and I would carry my son around there in his carry thing, he slept better next to my chest too bless him lol, such a mummy's boy!

Doggylover- we have brought all our clothes from tesco and sainsburies so far, but we love primark too! They have cute kids clothes and for the length of time they are in them the price is very fair. I like those shops because you can buy loads without breaking the bank lol. We have 2 sleep suits, a big fluffy all in one from 9 months , a hair brush and a caterpillar toy so far, plus the free cot.. I am doing so well not to buy anything until we know the gender lol..

As for the ticker thing, I do that all the time, I wish I could be further along like others but then I also see the tickers who are behind me and remember how far I've come. I am doing my best to enjoy pregnancy as it's my last now but I find myself wishing it to hurry up so I can meet my little babba too.. crazy really since many times I wish I could go back to when my 6 and 4 year olds were newborns and pregnancy with them.. I should have learned by now that it goes quick lol xx

As for me: I ate a whole jar of pickled beetroot last night and then dinner, and then a whole bar of galaxy, so much for taking my cravings in moderation!! I paid for it though.. a night with a poorly tummy :( i've also been looking up those gender tests you can do from home online. There is the obvious chinese gender prediction chart, Mine says boy. It was right with my son too, there is a cabbage test where you mix pee with cold cabbage water and also a baking soda test where you pee in some baking soda and if it fizzes it's a boy and no fizzle means girl, I read in a study they did 22 out of 30 got the right result. But I wonder if there is any point to this since it's all a 50/50 chance of being right anyway. There is also a bleach (Drano) test which I think is absolutely stupid... no one should pee into a cup of bleach!

Also have been looking at photographers for when my little one is born ( I know way ahead of myself) and I saw they do pregnancy pictures but I'm not really into all that, who wants to see me with a huge gut (I know it's my bump but still) it's a belly... it's not really for me either way. But the baby ones are cute, I want one of all 3 of the kiddies together.

And lastly..... when you cough do you heave?? This is a new thing for me but when I cough I have to fight the urge to gag or heave lol.. I have a fear of throwing up.. stupid me getting pregnant 3 times then hey!! but yeh it's horrible!!

I'm sorry I'm mega chatty today, my kids are back at school and I'm all alone in the silence of my dirty messed up flat and I'm just typing to avoid doing any housework :( I hate mondays!

Morning all

Readytomum, hope you had a lovely evening out!

Nmbec, wow sounds like you got some great bargains at the sale! Re mattresses, I woudl suggest looking at kiddicare, they do some great quality mattresses at good prices, thats where we got DSs from and i willl be getting this LOs there too. What i would say is get one with a zip off cover on it, it will save some disasters to some extent.

Kirstabelle, thats great about the Moby wrap. We got a lot of use out of our original baby carrier and now we have an Ergo for DS when we need to carry him about.

Doggylover, re maternity leave, like some of the others said, it really depends on how you are feeling later on in the pregnancy. It was my intention to work to 38 weeks last time but i physically couldnt do it in the end, although i had holiday to use up before hand which made it easier, I would just let your imployer know of your intentions but stress that if you are struggling you may need to leave early, i think they are pretty flexible about things like that but if not you could always get signed off by your doctor anyway. Mine is made harder by a 1hr 15mins train commute plus walking either end and although im only part time now, i am trying to be realistic about it. Am aiming for about 36 weeks.

UKgirl, lol at eating the whole jar of pickled beetroot! Im really craving dairy milk chocolate at them mo and like you ive been regularly polishing off a big bar in the evenings, not ideal!
We have bought no clothes yet and not intending to until this LO is born, we got so much last time in neutral and some not even worn so until we know what this one is really no point. If you are staying yellow then i would warn against getting too much because as soon as you know you will automaticly dress in the appropiate colours anyway and more than likely you will get bought loads too!
We have order our tandem pushchair, the Obaby zyergi zoom, am wondering now if ive made the right choice as DS is just starting to walk he doesnt want to go in it! Got to have some option for him though.
Hes so funny at the mo, is like a whirlwind and is all over the place. Such a fantastic age now.
Went to Ikea yesterday to get him some new bedroom furniture as the baby will be having his stuff. What a nightmare, being a Sunday, manic, and pregnant just didnt mix at all. never again!

Painting was a success!! Hurray! The dresser got two coats of yellow and hopefully that will be enough, but we have tons of paint left if its not.

When you ladies talk about a cot, is that the same as what I would call a crib? My parents have offered to buy us our crib, so I just have to pick out the one I like! :happydance:

Tonight DH and I are out for dinner and off to see "Great Big Sea" in concert as our anniversary gift to each other. I'm so looking forward to it, DH and I are both big fans and their concerts are so much fun!

I love being a Canadian living in the UK i get both worlds! hehehe.

A crib here is what you would call a cradle.

A cot here is what you would call a crib.

:)

xx

Afternoon ladies hope your all feeling well! Melissa bump, my lo is 16 months and although she is at the age where she wants to walk everywhere its still good to have the pushchair as a back up, they still nap during the day and going out to town shopping etc, u made the right choice I think getting a tandem! I need to order my second seat for my pushchair soon!
As for me, went to my sil last night for fireworks, was Lo's first time seeing them an taking notice as she was only baby last year! She loved them was so cute, she kept saying wow, pretty, oooh wow lol bless her!! My mum has taken her today for me and is bringing her back tomorrow so I have some time to myself, just had some pancakes for lunch, gonna watch a film and chill for a few hours then do some house work! Hope everyone has a lovely day x

melissasbump - The tandem is a great idea, I had a tandem with mine, my daughter loved to walk so I had reigns for her and when she got tired she could sit in the buggy. When she got bigger we found out her legs are double jointed, so they over extend at the knee slightly and cause pain after too much walking so I brought a buggy board to attach to my son's buggy so when she got tired or her legs began to hurt she could stand on there.

I went to the baby shop this morning while I was on a hunt for bacon :p (it's across the road from my house :p) I was asking the lady in there about the different types of mattresses and she said that the fiber mattresses are only really for occasional use as they can dent after a while, she called them sleep over mattresses so for grand parents houses or holidays in a travel cot, she said the foam mattresses were good for every day use but the sprung mattresses are best, she said they are as comfy as a mattress can get. So I've changed my mind and will be getting a spring mattress... now I've typed mattress so much it's lost all meaning lol..

Kealz so cute your LO enjoyed the fireworks, we done ours on saturday at OH's parent's house, my daughter enjoyed them but my son ended up running inside to hide with the cats lol. We have sparklers to do tonight x

Happy Monday Ladies... The day has just started here, so I had a lot of reading to catch up on lol.

Thank you for all the information on Mattresses. It just seemed so overwhelming when looking at them in stores! I like the idea of natural and breathable.

I think we have decided to have the nursery set up (with the solid wood furniture) and have a pack and play in the bedroom (for nighttime feedings).

I'm very jealous of you ladies in the UK, with you maternity leave. I only get 12 weeks (and that includes my sick leave and vacationtime for the year). So I will work until I delivery if possible. I guess its not a big deal, since I have an office job and am not required to be on my feet all day.

kealz and Ukgirl, thanks for info re tandems, i feel better now about having it, im sure it will be fine, Harrison will only be 20 months.

Ukgirl, my brain is to mush but pretty sure mine is a sprung one, actually im sure it is. Its great.

Steph, yeah thats one good thing about the uk, maternity leave! lol

eww steph that sucks that you have to work so much, come live over here :p

Well I have finished my housework and now I'm having to draft out a long email to my solicitor for Connie and Lucas to see their dad. :/ He was so insistant in court about having a contact center set up, and guess who has to set it up.... me... so off I goes ... in september... to the contact center, it's a lovely place, a big play room, kitchen, little private contact rooms etc etc but still very friendly and safe. Me and my OH decided the center was good enough for the LOs and agreed to have supervised contact for them with their dad there.... guess what... he wont confirm his dates now!! He agreed in court to come for the 27th -3rd and then he told my DD that he was coming either before, on or after xmas... muggings here has already sorted out the center!!! So off I goes to my solicitor who has written to his not once but 3 times asking for confirmation of his dates (he lives in Norway) and still no reply. So now CAFCASS are saying to arrange the contact for the dates given in court anyway in the hopes that he will come on those days. He's such a head fucker!! So now I'm putting together a weeks contact schedule that has to show I'm willing to give him enough contact without putting my LOs through too much stress of being passed from pillar to post. Last time he was here I gave him far too much and they suffered so I'm keeping it short this time. Fuck him.

Oh dear sorry for the rant but just had to clear that one out lol..

Steph whoa I didn't realise that maternity in the states was so poor! Suddenly feeling very lucky! Then again, it depends on your job here too, because my sister is a lawyer and realistically knows if she ever gets round to having babies that maximum she will be able to take off without her work going down the pan is a measley 6 weeks. My mum is very happy with this, as it means she would get her baby from very early lol!!!

Thanks for all the info on mattresses, and UKgirl thanks for relaying the info from the baby shop. Sprung mattress it is!

Also thanks for the help re: maternity leave. Will make it very clear to my boss that I intend to work to 38 weeks BUT may not happen. he's great though, he was so, so kind to me when I mc in January, and even though everyone else in school hates him, I very much like him as I won't forget how lovely he was to me when I needed it most. Let's hope that extends to this maternity leave, and him giving me a permanent job :haha:

Morning Ladies!!! Hope everyone is having a great Monday!!!

Steph.... I feel your pain with maternity leave. I'm only getting six weeks & will most likely end up bringing the baby to work with me before that since I work in a very small office & there is nobody to do my job while I'm out....

Omg Maybesoon that's insanity!

Ukgirl your ex sounds like a total idiot. Well, since I know a little of your history with him I know he's far worse than that. And mucking the kids around is not fair on them, or you. He's sounds like a pretty terrible guy.

So meeting with my boss was actually not a big one, just a quick "you need to get these forms. And when do you want to go off?" I told him just two weeks before and he seemed surprised, but then again he also asked me if I'd be back in September. Since I get at least 9 months paid maternity.....erm, no. I won't be. He is not in touch with reality at times that man!! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->