April Munchkins 2013- enjoying our wonderful babies!

Thank you ReadytoMum! I sure hope so.... I really don't want to have to wait the extra 3 weeks for my 20 week scan. I know, I know, it's only 3 more weeks but I'm really ready to know....

congrats to bjs and sweetpea!!

now go shopping :p xx

I can't remember who said that the baby bjorn carrier doesn't adjust at the bottom (between the legs) bit, but the one I had didxx

I said it. I think Bjorn's are improving. There seem to be way more versions now and I know you can get some now that are designed like the Ergos and Becos with the lumbar support etc. So that's good :)

oh sorry littlespy I must have mid read it, what is a crotch dangler? xx

:haha: It's just a type of carrier that doesn't properly support baby. In carriers like the Babybjorn, the baby is kind of literally dangling from their crotch. So the hips are kind of forced into a narrow position and knees are well below the butt and apparently all of that is bad for hip development.

Oooooh I see eeeek I didnt know about that :/ I will have to look closely fir my next carrier then and be more careful.. thanks for the info xx

kristabelle I cant remember if mine was a crotch dangler noe.. it was 4 years or more ago now :/ xx

Thanks readytomum sorry Im replying in a seperate post Im on my phone. Baby bjorn is cheap and easy to buy in norway so I had a lot of their products including the same bouncy chair my ex husband used s a baby. we just restitched a new fabric seat in. Their products were always very sturdy. Ive been looking for a new baby bjorn bouncy chair but almost died when I saw the price lol.

kirstabelle -- This is just for your consideration. :flower: The problem with forward facing in any carrier is that in order to have proper support for baby's hips, their legs need to be widely spaced and the bum needs to be level with or below the knees. I ended up getting a mei tai at a consignment shop yesterday and it as a little velcro strap that you can wrap around to make it smaller and front carry but I won't be using it that way because it's still bad for baby's hips. The fact that the width of the fabric is made smaller so you can carry in that position is exactly the problem. I'm sure it's absolutely fine for short periods of time, though! :thumbup: Obviously, it's your child and you can do what you choose. I just thought I'd put it out there because I know we all want what's best for our children and if you know better, you do better. I admit I used a crotch-dangler with dd for a couple months before I knew it was bad! :nope: These aren't where I initially read the information, but they support my point (isn't that convenient? :winkwink:): https://www.hipdysplasia.org/Develo...tion/Baby-Carriers-Seats-and-Other-Equipment/
https://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

I have read articles like that too. The beco gemini looks nothing like the pictures in the boba article, which is probably why they don't include a picture of it on a competing carriers website :haha: It really is more supportive and when you look at the picture of the front carry on their website you can see that it is much more supportive, baby's knees are bent etc not just dangling like with the other pictures, and more like the positioning on the hip displaysia website. Just putting mine on last night with no baby it is clear that the big wide padded hip band helps to create a good seat for baby. It really isn't the same as the crotch dangler.

I just know that some babies won't want to be worn if they can only face in and I know I won't feel safe with back carries until the baby is much bigger, so there's that middle phase where I do think doing front facing carries is better than no baby wearing at all. And then they get tired and fussy and overstimulated front facing anyway and want to go back to facing in :haha: Like I said, I did research it and I chose the Gemini because you can do everything with it and imo from my research it is the best possible option for doing safer, ergonomic front carries. I just think having all the options is going to make it more likely that we can successfully babywear, so that's how I picked the carrier. :flower:

I'm so clumbsy I just really do not feel safe with my baby strapped to me at all. I have looked at these over & over & all I see is me walking, tripping & landing splat on top of my baby....

But then again.... I do have the huge clumbsy gene which is carried on both sides of my family.... My kiddo is sure to receive it as all the cousins kids have along with both my niece & nephew!

I think one of the main ways to tell if its a crotch dangler is if its a carrier that's only really attached to you by the shoulders. Then it makes a weird position and pressure for baby and is bad for your back too. They need some kind of additional attachment method that goes around your hips/lower back to create a better "seat" and distribute the weight better. A quick google seems to indicate that the new bjorns with the lumbar support cost about the same as an ergo or a beco or one of the other ergonomic carriers, so the pricing is about the same. I guess that extra strap costs about $50 no matter who makes it :haha: If you look up some of the baby wearing forums there are often for sale sections on those where you can get good carriers less expensively just because the carrier didn't work out for the person who bought it. So that's an option if you want a better carrier but don't want to spend too much money.

I think one of the main ways to tell if its a crotch dangler is if its a carrier that's only really attached to you by the shoulders. Then it makes a weird position and pressure for baby and is bad for your back too. They need some kind of additional attachment method that goes around your hips/lower back to create a better "seat" and distribute the weight better. A quick google seems to indicate that the new bjorns with the lumbar support cost about the same as an ergo or a beco or one of the other ergonomic carriers, so the pricing is about the same. I guess that extra strap costs about $50 no matter who makes it :haha: If you look up some of the baby wearing forums there are often for sale sections on those where you can get good carriers less expensively just because the carrier didn't work out for the person who bought it. So that's an option if you want a better carrier but don't want to spend too much money.

Thats really good info :) Thank you xx

Is anyone else having a really hard time say no thank you to friends and family offering you free baby stuff??

My aunt has a little girl who is a year old and offered me a dirty nappy bin but said no because we will be cloth diapering, and a jumperoo but we have no room for one and dont want it hanging around the flat for months until baby can use it, I feel guilty rejecting all her baby stuff but I'm on limited space and I only want stuff I need. :shrug:

Is anyone else having a really hard time say no thank you to friends and family offering you free baby stuff??

No worries on the carrier info. And Yes to the above! Some stuff is good, but some stuff I didn't want for the same reasons as you UKgirl. Like we got offered a moses basket but I don't need one because we are getting a cosleeper, and I don't want an additional thing to have to store "just in case". We have hardly any storage space. Also said no t a HUGE crib that wouldn't have fit in the small nursery space, and a changing table because I just don't have space for a piece of furniture that only really does one thing. We are using a dresser with a pad instead. And maternity clothes. This is the worst. I am 5"0 and pre pregnancy weighed about 113lbs and have a small frame. I am not going to fit into size large or xl maternity clothes at any point. Even if my belly gets enormously huge my arms and legs will still be the same length. :dohh: And then you don't want to offend people. Yeah, that is the hardest one I have dealt with so far.

Ukgirl don't feel guilty!!! I'm sure they are not offended!! I've also said no to the odd thing purely as I didn't like it oooops! Didn't say that tho :)

Hope everyone's ok? I'm shattered today! Nursery almost finished paint wise. I can't remember if I replied but we went for 3 cream walls and one baby blue wall (on the wall with a built in wardrobe) then the mamas Papas scrapbook boy border 3/4 way up wall all way around. I've been busy on eBay looking for second hand matching items hehe and I'm about to bid on an amazing sleigh cotbed (hoping it doesn't go too expensive) otherwise it will be a normal one!

I'm not sure at all what to do about baby sling/carrier I'm so confused I'm almost burrying my head in the sand lol!

So when/what situation would I use one? So sorry if I sous stupid!!!

When do u start to use? Newbirn?

Is it instead of using pram in certain instances??

Oh god I'm confused - almost as confused as I am about breast pumps pmsl

Thanks in advance!!!

thank you kristabelle and nimbec! I have to admit I have also said no to some things purely because I disliked them lol.. I also decided against the moses basket because we live in a flat and our front room is opposite the bedroom so I will just use the cot. For the same reason I am skipping on the baby monitor too lol.. Nimbec the nursery sounds gorgeous!! xx

Oooh that's been a big question for me Ukgirl can you put baby straight into cot?? I will be able to sleep next to the main cot if needs be.... I didn't know you could skip the basket stage? I'm guessing it's hard to get them from basket to cot??

Sorry so many questions!!

I put my daughter straight to cot, I only got a moses basket to use during the day while we were downstairs in our old home. I found my kids slept better in a cot as they could see me through the bars, I put my bed next to the cot. Lucas wouldn't sleep unless he could hold my finger while he drifted off bless him. Mine is also a safety issue because I think Lucas or Connie might lean on the basket and tip it or something silly. But yeh as far as I'm concerned going straight to cot from birth is fine. xx

You know the bumpers you can buy? if you put one of those over the bars at the bottom of the cot and place baby feet to foot then he wont be able to wriggle down but if you win the sleigh cot bed on ebay the bars wont be an issue xx

Hey Ladies!!

Just a quick heads up for those of you who lives where there are "Babies 'R Us" Stores, tonight is their Midnight Madness sale!! Tons of stuff half off, and other items on pretty good sales too. Some items start going on sale at various hours. Check the online flyer to find out all the details! :thumbup:

omg I live near babies r us but I cant drive and cant take the kids out that late :(

ReadytoMum, do you think it may be Canada stores only? I can't find any information online.

ReadytoMum, do you think it may be Canada stores only? I can't find any information online.

Hmmm... that's a good point Steph. I just tried logging into the US site and I didn't see anything listed there. I wonder if you can order off the Canadian site though?

I guess that's much less exciting news than I thought since I'm not sure how many other Canucks are in this group.... Sorry guys! :blush:

I can't fin it in the uk :( do therefore readytimum make the most of it for all of us here!!! Heehee see I've jut given u a valid excuse to buy more ;)

Hiya ladies hope your all ok! Good luck for your scan tomorrow maybesoon! Ill be excited for you seeing as I still have to wait 2.5 more weeks lol!!!
Nimbec nursery sounds lovely! Don't feel bad ukgirl, sometimes new is best, with certain things! Plus I completely understand not having space for it all!!!!

P.s here is a bump pic at 17+4! Don't judge the pjs hehe x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member