As a mother who formula feeds..

I agree with Appleblossom. Yes bfing isn't easy. I know I tried it and yes it is nurtionally better for babies fact but I don't think it has a huge impact on a childs intellectual abilities, allergies etc.

I am the same as appleblossom. I was formula fed. And I have done well in education. Aidan isn't allergic to anything, he's smart etc

Like I said BF is nurtionally better for baby but I don't think it has a huge impact on how they will be in laetr life. Regarding allergies and intelliance etc. I think it just depends on the child not how they are fed
xx

formula feeding is hard work I agree, i dont know how anyone could stand in a kicthen half asleep at stupid o clock makikng bottloes, sterilizing and falling asleep when baby is crying for food , sounds like loads of work to me! i just get the boob out in bed I dont have to get up or move about and I can surf online and type while I breastfeed its hands free. Though the two are different in hard work, one is time consuming and you always have a baby attached to you unless you express and even at that thats hard enough to make bottles out of , its tiring also and can be challenging. On the other hand the psychical work with formula is hard. I would still choose breastfeeding just because I found it more relaxing I can lye down and be lazy but do think how hard it is to be lugging around all these bottles for formula feeding mums, you do not have it easy either.

I have never felt the need to ask or care how any one feeds yet so many ask me. I do not know why?? I feel its like a private question and feel rude asking, anyone else feel that?

Yeah the first question people ask is how your feeding. I think because it's made to be such a big part of pregnancy etc people automatically wonder how your feeding
xx

I can understand health care asking as they can advice but poeple in the street and random friends and family?? Its probably just me but I woudlnt want to ask that,. why would I need to know? only to question it looks like some want to know. All I heard off my aunts when I was feeding my son was how their kids where fine and it done them no harm while they looked down at me and my mum to, wish they had of at least waited till I left the room to bitch about me. I just feel its rude , theres loads of other questions to ask instead of making a mum feel crappy for whatever way she feeds.

can you tell I am knarky today lol

did now i have no family visiting but my dad lol its the same on both ends by the looks of it. Hopefully more people will stop asking as have you noticed that when you get pregnant everyone thinks your stupid,. if they have children they will impose everything on you and you have to follow their advice so thats where the breastfeeding vs formula convo starts and people start getting urked . I dont include that in a convo, I am safe for pregnant woman and mums to be around lol

With regard to intelligence i'm not convinced BFing has an impact. Someone on here pointed out that BFing rates are higher in more affluent areas where the parents have had a better education (not implying anything about FF parents at all) so it would make sense that they help their children with their studies. So of course there are FF babies whose parents are intelligent and therefore are also likely to do well.

The medical benefits however I do believe to be true.

I can understand health care asking as they can advice but poeple in the street and random friends and family?? Its probably just me but I woudlnt want to ask that,. why would I need to know? only to question it looks like some want to know. All I heard off my aunts when I was feeding my son was how their kids where fine and it done them no harm while they looked down at me and my mum to, wish they had of at least waited till I left the room to bitch about me. I just feel its rude , theres loads of other questions to ask instead of making a mum feel crappy for whatever way she feeds.

can you tell I am knarky today lol

:hugs: Its okay.

I've always sat back and wondered about how once you are pregnant/have a baby you are considered Fair Game for every person out there. I was at the mall with my daughter when she was 11 days old, I can't tell you how many random strangers (including older men!) asked if I was breastfeeding her. :dohh:

My girl won't keep a hat on to save her life, but of course I get "tsk tsk'd" because some random woman thinks she should be wearing one. Short of stapling it to her head I'm out of ideas!

Totally understand what you are saying... it drives me up the wall as well. Everyone's got an opinion, even random strangers! :wacko:

I can's speak for the others but what I meant was, yes, breast milk is nutritionally better. And it has been proven to have positive effects in regards to immune systems etc. But I A) Refuse to believe that the way you are fed as a baby reflects on how intelligent you are and B) Would like people to know that just because me nor LO were breastfed that we have turned into sickly people who aren't very bright.

I know that most people know that and yes, it's an overexaggerated example but an example all the same. Often when you tell people you formula feed they will say "Oh well what about their immune system? Don't you want them to be clever?" So me and LO are just two examples that actually, formula can actually create the same people that breastmilk can. NOT claiming people shouldn't breastfeed AT all.

Neither was I :blush: just stating that not all FF babies are ill etc. Dramatic statements the woman in this article was making.
BF benefits not bull, but just the way this woman is so black and white about it all. :thumbup:

I BF my LO for 1 Month it was all I could manage, my DR said it was Great and better than nothing. Least LO got off to a good start as she had some of my colostrum. :)

Obviously I am a little late to this discussion. (only just found this section :blush: )

However, breast feeding is best overall and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. Of course, that doesn't mean that FF is the devils work either.

I breastfed all of my boys, but not for very long. My first I managed 10 days, second 3 days and third three weeks. My third I was absolutelty determined to breastfeed for as long as possible, as I had always regretted giving up feeding the others myself. However, I had to exclusively express as my son has Downs and this prevented him from latching on or feeding from the breast. After three weeks my milk started to dry up. My first two sons I gave up feeding as they wanted feeding constantly and I put it down to the fact they were big babies. (9lb and 10lb)

I now know, that had I have had more support and had it explained to me how much babies feed in the early weeks if breastfed, or that if exclusively expressing I needed to express at night too, and every three hourly, I would have continued.

When I had my girls I expressed to the 9 days Imogen was in intensive care and I know I would have carried on. There was a breastfeeding counsellor at the hospital I was at and speaking to her made such a difference. I have no guilt though about not breastfeeding fro longer, because I know that given the circumstances and available advice at the time, I did the best I could.

I do understand that not all women can breastfeed, but I think the correct support helps a lot. I will never understand women who never even want to try breastfeeding, and given that it is best for babies, I am sorry, but yes, I do think it is selfish to not even try.

I wish more women would breastfeed and stick to it... I just do. I wish I would have BF my son but I was young and stupid and selfish and "couldn't be fagged" so to speak, along with uneducated on the subject. I wanted to be able to go out with friends, have some drinks, get my sleep (when I did have help) etc... I didn't know about pumps! I didn't know you could still have help etc... and my reasons I admit, were selfish! If I wanted lots of sleep and to go out with friends when I wanted, I shouldn't have got pregnant as that is what it means to be a mom.

I understand not everyone can breastfeed, and to those who have tried and couldn't... :hugs: but it bothers me when someone just doesn't care enough to try to give their baby the best start in life (two different things here) I was one of them... and am now a changed woman. I have grown up and come to learn that my best interests may not be my babies and my baby comes first... I'm a grown up and can handle going second.

My friend is BFing right now with a 3 week old baby and is hanging in there but she really didn't understand how draining it would be.... no sleep at all, trying to pump AND feed (they want her to establish her milk supply more?)...
I don't think she'll give up but she understands why people do.

What is 'best' for some, is not best for all...
breastmilk is better for the baby in most cases... but breastfeeding is not always best.

I understand that someone at least trying seem like they wanted to do what was 'best', but you really can't assume you know what is best for someone else.

I can understand to its tiring, been there and still there and thers more to come yet for me. And its handy that I dont work or have to go many places where as a lot of woman work now and its hard for them. Pumping is not easy I agree. I rather my baby got breast milk before i got anything to be honest but thats just me.

I can understand to its tiring, been there and still there and thers more to come yet for me. And its handy that I dont work or have to go many places where as a lot of woman work now and its hard for them. Pumping is not easy I agree. I rather my baby got breast milk before i got anything to be honest but thats just me.

I feel the same :)

I think breastfeeding is a wonderful choice, but I do hate that women are bullied or guilt tripped into it at times.

Same here ^

You don't know other mothers situations, so I think people should not judge other peoples choices.

As a breastfeeding mother, and pro-breastfeeder, I am appalled at the OP! Who is this lady (not cherryglitter, but the lady you quoted)? Is she an actress? If so, who the f*ck cares what she has to say? She isn't anyone medical. Sounds like she is trying to get some attention to her probably dead career. Besides, how on EARTH could they enforce that law?! It's absurd. Do I think BFing is best? Yes, I do. But, for goodness sakes, formula isn't horse shit?! It's food too! I do *wish* all women would try it, because I love it so much and I want them to experience that as well. I guess I might get slandered for this, or kicked out of the pro-breastfeeding commuinty for it, but I do think that formula is a-okay. With my first, even my second baby I thought different and really believed that all women should BF, but I have grown wiser and met people with different stories, and I am not judging...at least not on that! lol

Same here ^

You don't know other mothers situations, so I think people should not judge other peoples choices.

That is why I said don't care enough.. like decide like I did with my son for selfish reasons not to breastfeed. If someone decides not to for reasons that will benefit the child it's different. I think as long as the child's best interest is at heart. :)

As a breastfeeding mother, and pro-breastfeeder, I am appalled at the OP! Who is this lady (not cherryglitter, but the lady you quoted)? Is she an actress? If so, who the f*ck cares what she has to say? She isn't anyone medical. Sounds like she is trying to get some attention to her probably dead career. Besides, how on EARTH could they enforce that law?! It's absurd. Do I think BFing is best? Yes, I do. But, for goodness sakes, formula isn't horse shit?! It's food too! I do *wish* all women would try it, because I love it so much and I want them to experience that as well. I guess I might get slandered for this, or kicked out of the pro-breastfeeding commuinty for it, but I do think that formula is a-okay. With my first, even my second baby I thought different and really believed that all women should BF, but I have grown wiser and met people with different stories, and I am not judging...at least not on that! lol

I used it, and I don't think formula is bad at all. It's great to have. I just wish it was used a little less iykwim? I don't think that statement warrants you to be kicked out of the pro-bf community :winkwink:

My friend is BFing right now with a 3 week old baby and is hanging in there but she really didn't understand how draining it would be.... no sleep at all, trying to pump AND feed (they want her to establish her milk supply more?)...
I don't think she'll give up but she understands why people do.

What is 'best' for some, is not best for all...
breastmilk is better for the baby in most cases... but breastfeeding is not always best.

I understand that someone at least trying seem like they wanted to do what was 'best', but you really can't assume you know what is best for someone else.

I had supply issues a few weeks ago and took fenugreek which worked a treat! Worth suggesting to your friend x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->