As a parent is it ok to break the Law?

Nibblenic

Reaction score
Idea taken from another thread.

Is it okay to break the Law when you are a parent and obviously setting an example to your children.
Is it okay to break some Law and not others?
Where do you draw the line?
Do you break the Law?
Is it similar Laws to the ones your parents broke?

I'm not talking about stupid Law like being able to shoot a Welshman from England. Or having to practice Archery every week.

Laws that are relevant to our lives and relationships with our children. In terms of setting an example to them on what is right and what is wrong.

Right now generally I am a Law abiding citizen especially now I am a parent.

However I have a very heavy right foot and do break the speed limit (only by a little but thats not the point) on a regular basis.
My parents have both had various point on their licence and also break the speed limit every now and again.

Otherwise I cannot think of anything else I do. I never take drugs, drink excessively, not violent, dont steal.
I did drink under age and go clubbing under age, I wont mind too much if my Lo does either of them. As long as shes honest with me and I know she is safe ie. I would allow her to drink in the house but wouldn't be happy if she purchased the alcohol.

When i worked in The Disney Store. I saw plenty of parents sending children as young as 4 to steal from us. That was 10 years ago now, and from what I can tell still goes on.

So if children see us breaking the Law will they follow in our footsteps? Knowing your past/current situation would you be happy for your Lo to do that?

Husband smokes marijuana.
I do not believe in having my children live without question and follow/abide by every law,simply because it's the law kwim? We have many laws in place for a reason of course, I just hate hearing so many people go on about marijuana being illegal so it's bad... alcohol is legal so it's okay etc... There is a big difference between following the rules and following blindly like a sheep.

At the mo I can't think of a law that I break, but if perhaps in the future I identify a law I don't agree with, I wouldn't mind breaking it as an act of defiance, a la Gandhi's civil disobedience.

Whilst I want my children to respect the law etc, I also want them to question existing legislation and not just follow like sheep.

Husband smokes marijuana.
I do not believe in having my children live without question and follow/abide by every law,simply because it's the law kwim? We have many laws in place for a reason of course, I just hate hearing so many people go on about marijuana being illegal so it's bad... alcohol is legal so it's okay etc... There is a big difference between following the rules and following blindly like a sheep.

Agree with this and the above post too.

My OH smokes cannabis, we sometimes break the speed limit, sometimes we watch pirated DVDs, sometimes we sneak snacks into the cinema cos it's cheaper (is that even illegal??), sometimes I leave the car on double yellow lines for a minute when I know there are no traffic wardens around :blush:

Morals are different to the law and I like to think we set very good examples of these. We'd never steal, hurt someone, cheat, lie etc.

I along with lots of others have broken one or two laws. I have broken the speed limit, I've watched a pirate dvd and I have also taken sweets into a cinema (sorry but its well expensive in the cinema :haha:) but just because people break the small laws doesnt mean they arent decent human beings, I think smoking weed isnt in the same league as murder or kidnap. There are lots of people who for the most are law abiding citizens and smoke weed, they provide for their family, support their family, go out to work, pay their way in this world. To make them irresponisble for smoking weed in my opinion is wrong.
I hope my girls will grow up to be proud of their dad because yes he smokes but he isnt doing any harm to anyone else. He has a mind of his own and is able to control his own feelings. I dont smoke it but it doesnt give me the right to judge others who do.

When my children are old enough to understand I will tell them about it, its not legal and its not exactly good for you. Just because we do things doesnt mean our children are automatically going to follow us and what we do. My OH's mum and dad both smoked yet my SIL cannot stand it. We make impressions on our children by explaining things to them not by letting the say what I say, do what I do attitude be the way forward.

I along with lots of others have broken one or two laws. I have broken the speed limit, I've watched a pirate dvd and I have also taken sweets into a cinema (sorry but its well expensive in the cinema :haha:) but just because people break the small laws doesnt mean they arent decent human beings, I think smoking weed isnt in the same league as murder or kidnap. There are lots of people who for the most are law abiding citizens and smoke weed, they provide for their family, support their family, go out to work, pay their way in this world. To make them irresponisble for smoking weed in my opinion is wrong.
I hope my girls will grow up to be proud of their dad because yes he smokes but he isnt doing any harm to anyone else. He has a mind of his own and is able to control his own feelings. I dont smoke it but it doesnt give me the right to judge others who do.

When my children are old enough to understand I will tell them about it, its not legal and its not exactly good for you. Just because we do things doesnt mean our children are automatically going to follow us and what we do. My OH's mum and dad both smoked yet my SIL cannot stand it. We make impressions on our children by explaining things to them not by letting the say what I say, do what I do attitude be the way forward.

:thumbup:

I download/watch music dvds
I take sweets in the cinema
I dont pay for my son on the bus (say he is under 5)
I ride my bike on the pavement sometimes!

Nothing major.

I download/watch music dvds
I take sweets in the cinema
I dont pay for my son on the bus (say he is under 5)
I ride my bike on the pavement sometimes!

Nothing major.

I thought children under 16 were free anyway? Or is that just in London and surrounding areas?

Not here! I dont really use the bus and technically I dont lie because they dont ask :p

Although I do have a disabled bus pass now so he would be free but I suppose I should pay for R now too!

my friends and I have sneaked wine into the cinema in the past haha. Not since I became a parent though. I don't think it's illegal but the prices they charge for snacks and drinks should be!!

I have also taken vodka in bottles into the pub and just order a coke but I dont drink anymore to do that lol. x

I have also taken vodka in bottles into the pub and just order a coke but I dont drink anymore to do that lol. x

ooh yeah me too- i had super large hand bags for that or in my boots...lol, but its not a law really x

aw well not broken anything major then. OH smokes weed now and again but no dealing, nothing in house etc.

Interesting one, I dont intentionally ever break the law nor want to, although I know I am guilty of speeding from time to time, i would say i do so responsibly, im a good driver, and dont just speed for the fun of it, and ever anything excessive where i would get into BIG trouble. I do think the speed limit should be raised, but thats a whole other debate.

All other laws i obey (unless there are some I dont know of) and will.

If there was a new law that went agaisnt my beleifs i prob would break the law, i mean genreally we live in a really flexable country, but if i lived in China for example it would be much harder to live the way i want to and beleive in.

But for the most part I want to be and want my children to be law abidding citizens.

My SIL got married on Thursday and all her mums friends brought bottles of vodka! I wish I had too, OH went to the bar got him and his dad a beer each, me an archers and lemonade and his cousin a coke and it was £17.50!

Seriously though. I don't think anyone can Honestly say they've never broken Any laws. As someone already mentioned, laws are different from morals. Some laws are not moral...

:flower:

I don't think it's OK to break the law...I don'[t think there is a "depends what it is" scenario. There will always be people who think it's OK to break certain laws (speeding, parking, marajuana, noise laws are some examples) but where do we draw the line then? Punching people, threatening...some people will think this is OK too. I think if someone thinks a law is unfair, then they should take steps to change the law, and realize that the laws are made to protect people and often took alot of effort to come in effect. One law here that many find "stupid" is you must pay for your fuel BEFORE filling your tank. It took alot of work for this law to come in effect, and changed because of a young man killed as he chased down a car who didn't pay for his gas. The law may be annoying, unfair, some might say...but it protects certain individuals. I think breaking the law in front of kids particularly, is teaching them that laws or rules...can be broken, and that is something that may be hard for them to distinguish whether a certain law is kind of "grey"...for example smoking pot. How does a 5 year old know it's OK to break that law, but then not break a law on stealing??? It is too complicated, not to mention, that children often go to school and end up accidently reporting their parents anyways. lol...I heard that a couple times while working at the police station. Now I work in bylaws...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->