~*~*~August 2012 Baby Fire Fly's~*~*~

Yeah I totally understand wanting it to be a private moment. My mom wants to be there but we told her no because it would be unfair to mil and I don't want a bunch of people there. I'm thankful my husband is so laid back. He kinda goes with the flow. As for delivery I told him I reserve the right to have my mom in the room if I want her there. But I do NOT want my mil there. I think this is because my mom adopted my sister and I and I know she would just be there for the experience and would sit there and watch quietly. Or hold my hand, and get me things when I need them. My MIL on the other hand gave birth to my husband and then again to his twin sisters (naturally) and would sit there an compare experiences while I'm in labor. No thank you . Haha. So excited for our ultrasound on Thursday. Just hoping that the week goes by quickly! My boss didn't tell me that her daughter is having spring break from school this week and will be home with me. Her daughter is a challenge and needs alot of entertainment and it would have been nice to know early so I could plan activitys. Oh well, guess I will just have to wing it today.

The room is really tiny! However, we decided they could come, but be there for 5 minutes only. That's it. If they complain... well, they're lucky to get that. I don't want them there, really, but since my mom and grandma tend to just show up uninvited to lots of things, I don't want my boyfriend's parents being upset that they weren't there. But they get 5 minutes! I'm glad I'm not crazy for wanting it to be private, but I'm trying to compromise. I swear, if it weren't for family drama this pregnancy would be amazing.

Yay for a Team Blue! :)

Welcome Struth and congrats on being team blue! :wave:

Never had that issue thankfully, most family members (his and mine) didn't care much about being at the ultrasound, they just wanted to know what the gender was.

Luckily mine don't want to know the gender as they want to be surprised when she arrives. A few friends have asked but family haven't as I think they respect the fact we said we are not telling anyone - its for us to know, no one else.

I am having trouble going out shopping for pink bits though as always checking my back to see if anyone I know is in the store, and also bringing shopping bags home trying not to let pink show through the bag is a bit awkward!

I am just going to have my husband at the birth, not my Mum - we're not close in that way. I certainly don't want my MIL there, she'd drive me to distraction!

My mother assumed she'd be at the birth and I put my foot down and blatantly told her that moment is for Kyle and I only. She was very upset but I think she got over that one. She also wanted to be at all my check-up's... she just has a control issue. Ugh!

I am ridiculously excited for the ultrasound and can't focus on my schoolwork and tests. Baby just seems so much more important than a math test. :D

I think I am going to let my brother deliver the baby, he's in med school atm, and I think that Lily would think that was special.

But if my mom thinks she's coming in too, (which now that I think about her, she might think that) she can think again lol. Three's enough for me, and I might not even let my brother in!

DH and I were the only ones at the ultrasound but the gender reveal party allowed everyone (including us) to find out the gender all together and it was pretty fun. My family initially thought I was strange for doing a "gender reveal party" but they ended up having a blast. :)

As for the birth, I haven't decided who will be there with me. I definitely assume my mom will be there and I made that clear to her which she was fine with. I think DH will be there but he's pretty squeamish and isn't sure he wants to be. Right now I feel like I'd be really mad/upset if he weren't there but in the moment, I kinda don't think I'll care. Who knows. I think my stepmom really wants to be in there but I'm not sure. My MIL most definitely won't be; she grates my last nerve on a regular basis anyway. And I think it would be a good learning experience for my teenage sisters to be in there but I'm not sure about that either. I was in the room when my sisters were born. It's a lot of people and this is my first so maybe just DH, mom and I this time and the others next time.

katrina - kudos to you allowing your brother to deliver your baby. Even if mine was in med school, I couldn't handle my bro being up in my hooha, lol. :)

That's pretty cool, Katrina..

Who will be with me during the birth depends on when I go into labor. The plan is just DH and my midwives. If DH is at work, I call my mom and my sister. :)

I'm having both my OH and mum at the birth. I asked my mum a few days ago if she wanted to be there and she replied that ofcourse she was going to be and had already booked time off work around the time I'm due; that did somewhat irritate me as she'd just assumed that I'd want her there, and I live 180 miles away from her so if I have the baby a bit early I expect she'll be staying with me and OH for a while, until she has to go back to work, which might be a bit awkward. She wanted to be at the birth of my sisters kids but my sister wouldn't let her, and I'm her youngest daughter so this is her last chance to watch one of her grandchildren being brought into the world. I am grateful she's being so supportive though and I'm sure everything will turn out fine in the end :D

My parents will be driving up for the birth (they live 320 miles away) but I don't want anyone in the room during the delivery except my hubby and of course the medical staff.. I don't care who is in there during the laboring process. I originally was going to have my mom in there but I had told her that I would want her to step out right after the baby is born to give us our first moments together alone as a family and her response was: "what, so I'm just supposed to leave?!" Uhmm yeah!!! I love my mom to death but she has already turned into a grandmazilla with this being her first grandbaby!! :dohh: I haven't told her yet what the plans are but I figured I will when the topic comes up again.

I think it'll be a great experience with just my DH and me, bringing our little baby girl into the world :) I can't wait!!!!

Wow - there are so many different combinations aren't there? Just goes to show that it is an individual thing and we just have to do what feels right. It will just be me and OH in the delivery room - no-one else! I think the UK and the US are quite different - in the UK you usually just have your other half and maybe your Mum or a friend in the room with you. It seems like in the US you can have more people if you wish?

I don't think I would want too many people peering at my hoo-haa so we'll keep it to just me and OH (and the midwife, of course!)....! ;)

Heehee yeah that's why I don't want my mom in the room!!!

I think it depends on the hospital's rules in the U.S., are the rules universal in the U.K.? That's really interesting! It would be nice for things to be consistent.

I'm lucky this time, my mom is 10 hours away so I won't be having to worry about her unless she comes early. BUT I might just *forget* to call her and tell her when we are going in....she said at my first pain she is getting on a plane, but I deliver so fast that We will still be alone for the next 6 hours ;) I really don't want her there this time, I want it to be just me and my hubby :)

It is interesting to see everyone's ways of going about labour... It's my first time and I would feel calmer with just my boyfriend there. I'm already worried about what's going to happen, let alone my mom and grandma butting into things.

Are the rules different in the UK?

I am pretty sure that I will just want my husband there so that we can do this together but I have my mom ready to come in the extreme case that I panic and want her there. My sister pushed my mom out of every moment during her pregnancy and I'm trying to be better about including her when I can. My mom told be she really appreciates the fact that I would even consider having her there because it was the last thing in the world that my sister would do ( even though my mom financially supported her through her whole pregnancy). In fact I held my nephew before my mom because my sister called both of us to come to the hospital around the same time. Oh family drama! Haha.

I think its so cool that we are starting to think about about our birth plans!!!

It will definately just be me and OH when I deliver! It was just the two of us and around 12 midwives in the room last time so we are hoping for it to be a bit quieter this time around! My mum will be coming over ... she only lives an hour away but she will be having Amy whilst I am in labour if she makes it in time!

I think rules do vary a little bit depending on the hospital in the UK but generally I think that they allow two people in with you. They certainly don't like big crowds in with you! This will be my first so I'm not completely sure but I think that is the case.

It just seems to be more of a cultural thing to just have your OH and then maybe your Mum or a friend in with you rather than the whole family! I'm quite glad as I don't have to worry about those sorts of decisions as my family have just assumed that I just want OH with me. They can come and visit me afterwards (either in the ward or at home, depending on how long I spend in hospital)!

Talking about birth plans - have any of your started reading about the birth part yet? I had a look at a book at the weekend....!

I have definitely started to look at the labor part of things. I was curious as to the signs of labor, how I'm going to know if I go into labor... I just wish it wasn't so far away!

Well... let me edit that statement to say I can wish the pain was far away, and I don't want to give birth right now either, but at the same time I would really enjoy being with my LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->