Babies and the Holidays

sweetysangel8

Reaction score
So I was shopping yesterday and all the stores have their Christmas decor out and it got me thinking. What holiday traditions would you like to do with your kids? I can't wait to have a little one running around excited about the holidays!

This Christmas will be my niece's first so it should be pretty fun! I have no clue what to get her though.

It's my first Christmas with a baby so I have been thinking about it loads!

I want to let her pick a decoration for the tree every year. This year obviously I will pick one for her - a personalised "first Christmas" one. We did this when we were kids and our tree was full of wonderful memories!

I bought a personalised Christmas book for her Christmas. We will read it every night in the lead up to Christmas. I had the exact same book when I was younger and I can remember the story well even now!

We did almost like a Christmas Eve box as kids - we got new jammies and a video to watch. We always had hot chocolate too!

We have decided to get an ornament for the kids each year.

We are also planning to do the Christmas Eve box. I want to put PJs and slippers in there. I then want a gift they can share like a game or movie.

I also want to start an advent calendar. But my sister and I plan to make them and haven't got around to it. So hopefully next year.

I need a good Christmas story to read. I guess I will have to look around for something.

My parents used to buy an ornament for me each year and when it came time for me to move out, they gave me the box of ornaments so I could have a start to my tree.

Id like to do any advent calendar, but I'm having a hard time finding one that I like that isn't expensive. Most likely will end up having DH make one out of wood.

I love the story idea and the Christmas Eve box. I still have a couple of Christmas's to go until I'll have a little one, but that doesn't mean I can't plan in the meantime. :)

What exactly are advent calendars? The only ones that I can think of are the chocolate ones. :haha:

This is the first year that my LO really understands and is excited about Christmas and it's so fun! :)

I have the advent calendar that I used when I was little that I'm passing on to her. My husband did the Christmas Eve gift when he was growing up but I didn't. I'm adopting it and doing it with my LO though because I like it! This year I got her a little set that has a plate for Santa's cookies that you can write messages on, a milk cup, and a little bowl for reindeer treats. We'll also get her some PJs, hot chocolate, a Christmas DVD, and some sort of festive treat.

Last year we'd get really antsy in the house since it gets dark so early this time of year, so I took her on walks around our neighbourhood before bed to look at Christmas lights and decorations. I want to do it again this year but we moved a few months ago and it's a lot colder here in the winter than where we previously lived, so... we'll see. :haha: At the very least we'll go once a week or so and then go check out the streets known for the over the top lights on Christmas Eve!

I like the idea of letting her pick out an ornament every year, too!

What exactly are advent calendars? The only ones that I can think of are the chocolate ones. :haha:

Traditionally advent calendars are countdown to Christmas and each day tells part of a bible story and usually have a piece of chocolate with it. But you can do anything with them from a puzzle piece each day, a random act of kindness to do each day, or any other kind of story. Skies the limit!

My favorite thing to do as a kid was drive around and look at Christmas lights. Thankfully we live in an area with lots of great displays so we will definitely do that each year. My DH and his brothers always slept in the same room on Christmas Eve so once the kids are old enough, he wants to do that. Shoot..our bed is big enough, maybe we have a big family slumber party for a few years at least :)

We always got to open the gift that came from my family in NY Christmas Eve.So we are adopting a Christmas Eve box to keep that going. Jammies, a movie, a book and a treat. We also get together with family Christmas Eve night for dinner and games and go to church for a candlelight service.

Other things I'd like to do is have a baking day making treats together, putting up the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, celebrating advent at home as well as at church. Lots of fun things to do and memories to make!

What's a good gift for a baby? I want to get my niece something worth while.

At her age Tara, things with mirrors are great. Also things with different textures to them, or a toy that crinkles when you touch it. There are also Oballs (Google search will show you what I'm talking about- a ball with holes that you can grip)- those things are amazing! She will just be starting to be interested in toys and whatnot so doesn't need anything crazy. If you want non toy ideas, indestructible books (again, a Google search) or teethers. She would be starting solids soon so maybe some good beginner spoons, sippy cups. They are super easy to shop for at that age :)

Those sound like great ideas! I'm going to look up toys on babies r us and wal-mart tonight.

I'll probably also buy diapers because babies are always needing them.

Oballs are cool. Christian has two Oball cars that he loves.

But eveyrthing Kaity recommended are great ideas for her age. If she doesn't have one a baby safe mirror with a stand was and is a huge hit with Christian.

I saw a few toys at the drug store today but didn't buy any.Tomorrow I'm going to look when I go to the mall before seeing Mockingjay Part 2.I was thinking of getting her a few toys that can help with her development,a few teething rings,an attachment that goes on her clothes for her soother and diapers.I'm not sure what else I want to get besides that.

Today I texted Lindzy asking if Roxy needed any clothes for the winter and said she has enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->