Babies sex is determined by.. *finish the sentence*

So because male sperm swim quicker but live less time, you need to :sex: when to get a boy and when to get a girl? Am I right that it would be a few days before ovulation for a girl? And on the day of ovulation for a boy?

Yea thats the the thing, but maybe one had only lame ass boys too so in the end the girl is the winner again

I'm just with Pincess_bump, you can influence it in a way having sex further away in the hope the X spermies will survive, but it is up to chance really. If only you could have tests to see if your OH had more Xs or Ys?
Robins family is all boys so i was SO sure i was going to have a boy... :)

If you can get your hands on a copy of Taking Charge of your Fertility, she has a great chapter on the timing thing for sex of baby. She shows you how to use your chart to increase your chances of one or another. I might give it a whirl next TTC and try for a girl. Without any pressure, though. I'm totally cool with another boy.
As for how we got this info, a lot was discovered by fertility research. Scientists working for IVF and other such techniques, inevitably got asked to sex the embryos. A method called "sperm washing" would help them isolate male or female sperm. I believe that's where motility differences were noticed.

when you :sex: in relation to where you are in ovulation phase x

i think it really is just by which sperm gets there first.
i saw a programme once and it said girls are more possible than boys as female sperms live longer and a lot of men tend to produce more female sperm than male sperm. i think it also said something about the quality of sperm too, some men can have poor quality of male sperm but good quality female sperm or vice versa.....

i think i am having another boy. dunno why, just the feeling i am getting. i wont be getting a gender scan as i want a surprise but i am feeling boy again....we will see!!!!

it is determined by... utter chance

imo, babies sex is determined by which spermy reaches the egg first - the girls swim slower but live longer, and boys swim fast but die quicker - you can look at determining the sex from that, but i think its all about what :spermy: gets there first!

so interesting to think about though!

ditto to this, if you know you ovulation schedule you can have sex a couple days prior to ovulation and the female sperm may have a greater chance... If you bd on your ovulation day the male sperm have a greater chance.

I don't really think it runs in the family, OH is one of 3 sons (no miscarriages for his mum, she was only pregnant 3x).. his father had 2 sons and one daughter.. his father had one son.. and we had a daughter. I think it's just 50/50..

which chromosones (sp) are the swimmer that makes it 2 the finish line first

imo, babies sex is determined by which spermy reaches the egg first - the girls swim slower but live longer, and boys swim fast but die quicker - you can look at determining the sex from that, but i think its all about what :spermy: gets there first!

ditto to this, if you know you ovulation schedule you can have sex a couple days prior to ovulation and the female sperm may have a greater chance... If you bd on your ovulation day the male sperm have a greater chance.
Doesnt mean though that it works, ive been seeing a forum where women had 5 boys in a row although they wanted girlos, and same the other way round.

its all about the sperm! they determine whether it will be XX or XY :)

Doesnt mean though that it works, ive been seeing a forum where women had 5 boys in a row although they wanted girlos, and same the other way round.

I think it only increases the odds somewhat. Genetics (maybe dad's male sperm are fast swimmers AND are hardier than normal, for example) and environment (pH of vagina could favour one or the other) are also contributing factors.

What Ph favours one and the other? What PH does your vagina have and how can you know?

What Ph favours one and the other? What PH does your vagina have and how can you know?

Your vagina is generally a more acidic environment and is generally not a hospitable place for sperm to survive. Around ovulation, the pH becomes far more basic through the presence of the all-important egg white-like cervical mucus. The speedier, less hardy male sperm do better in the more basic environment. The hardier female sperm can survive slightly more acidic environments - hence the possiblity that you could have sex a few days before ovulating and still get pregnant. But as I said before, your partner's sperm may be genetically predisposed to fast, hardier male sperm or faster, less hardy females and that would affect their survival, as well.
I believe that the old wives' tale of douching with coke or lemon juice as a method of birth control came from someone's misinterpretation of the vaginal pH info.

It depends on the :spermy:

Also, if you make love on the left hand side of the bed with a wooden spoon under the pillow and a pink ribbon under the right hand side of the bed it will be a girl! :rofl:

Loads of hilarious old wives tales like that on an email I got when I was pregnant!

Really im with Carley's theory though

It depends on the :spermy:

Also, if you make love on the left hand side of the bed with a wooden spoon under the pillow and a pink ribbon under the right hand side of the bed it will be a girl! :rofl:

Loads of hilarious old wives tales like that on an email I got when I was pregnant!

Really im with Carley's theory though

Cant say i have heard that one before
x

When I was pregnant I used to get emails from babycentre and it was on one of them!

I picked up a book today called: Pick the sex of your baby. It felt really wrong actually. I am quite glad it is just a myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->