Baby aspirin to prevent pre-eclampsia and placental abruption

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by bclaytonsc, Apr 29, 2021.

1. bclaytonsc

bclaytonsc Well-Known Member

Hi mamas,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I do have a question that pertains to the prevention of pregnancy complications.

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and my MFM and OB have recommended a single baby aspirin (81mg) daily for the remainder of my pregnancy to prevent pre-eclampsia and placental abruption. Has anyone else taken aspirin from the second tri to term?

I did have two SCHs at 6 weeks pregnant and had a large amount of bleeding, but those have resolved now. I do have a very strong family history of placental abruption, including my mother, which led to me being born at 24 weeks.

2. dairymomma

dairymomma Well-Known Member

I've taken it from bfp til delivery with almost all of my pregnancies due to a history of SCHs in my first tri and recurrent miscarriages. I have a clotting disorder so it was recommended I take it for that as it may be a cause of my miscarriages. I've never heard of it being used to prevent placenta abruption so I'm no help there. But I have taken it right thru til the end of my pregnancies and been fine.

3. bclaytonsc

bclaytonsc Well-Known Member

dairymomma, thank you for your reply!! I am taking it along with my prenatal and hopefully all will be well. :) I just hadn't heard of that before so wasn't sure if many women had taken aspirin throughout their pregnancies.