Baby back carriers

MrsMac5

Reaction score
Has anyone used a back carrier? I live in the country and would to start hillwalking with my LO and my dog! She is 7 months old but would like to be able to use it for quite a while, especially as they seem to be quite expensive! I had liked the look of the littlelife ultralight backpack. Anyone got any reviews or suggestions? Hoping it will help in my quest to shift the babyweight too!

Also need to be able to put it on without any help!

Ergo, ergo, ergo!

You can also get the "ergo performance" which has thinner straps but more ventilation (I personally prefer the pads of the regular ergo). It has a lot of pockets to keep keys/phone etc.

I wear him at least 2 hours a day when out walking and hiking with my dog.

Here's my boy in it, 27lbs and 10 months old.

Attachments

• bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks aliss, that one does look good. Do you think you'll be able to use it for a good while yet? And if your LO falls asleep is he comfy? I like that it looks very soft with no metal structure that I have seen with some of the others. If you use it so often I assume it's easy to put on without someone lifting it on for you? Lots of questions!!

Macpacs! They're expensive new, but we got ours from ebay and we're very impressed - it's more for hillwalking than just strolling, as it's a proper rucksack too.

I would recommend a SSC (soft structured carrier) rather than a framed carrier. With a framed carrier the weight is further away from your body so it's more uncomfortable for you, also they don't usually support baby's hips and spine properly (good support should be knee-pit to knee-pit, knees higher than bum). I carry my one year old in a SSC for 4+ hours at a time, whereas I can only manage a few minutes in the bushbaby! I also struggle to put a framed carrier on by myself, whereas a SSC is much easier. Rose & Rebellion, Boba, Bamberoo, Ergo, Melkaj, Beco, Patapum, Kinderpack, Manduca, and Wompat are some of the popular brands.

I agree with aliss, Ergo is fantastic. Maya is a whopper (28lbs at just under a year) and yet I can hardly feel her weight when I carry her on my back. She loves it too and looks very comfy in it. You can also do a front and a hip carry with ergo as well.

I'm going to jump in here as I'm struggling to walk LO with my dogs. He's only 18lb and nearly 8 months but is too heavy and long for my front carrier.

How do you manage to put baby in the ergo on your own?

BTW - LOVE your pic Aliss - he looks soooo cute

Thanks aliss, that one does look good. Do you think you'll be able to use it for a good while yet? And if your LO falls asleep is he comfy? I like that it looks very soft with no metal structure that I have seen with some of the others. If you use it so often I assume it's easy to put on without someone lifting it on for you? Lots of questions!!

It's very comfy. I plan to use it until he won't go in it anymore, lol (which I assume is the toddling stage). He won't fall asleep in it anymore (he's a bad sleeper at all times), but he did often when he was young. If your LO can fall asleep in the sling, there's a hood on the back that you can pull up to shade their head and hold it in. Many babies sleep like that - mine just doesn't sleep at all, LOL.

It took me a few days of practice to do the back carry without help. I did it over the bed in front of a mirror. Now, I do it right in the parking lot. I get people rushing over to help me (lol) but I can always do it myself. Actually, having others do it for you can become an interference once you get the hang of it!!

I'm going to jump in here as I'm struggling to walk LO with my dogs. He's only 18lb and nearly 8 months but is too heavy and long for my front carrier.

How do you manage to put baby in the ergo on your own?

BTW - LOVE your pic Aliss - he looks soooo cute

I had to switch to the back carry around 17-18lbs too. Have you searched any youtube videos?

It's very easy to do once you get the hang of it, but you basically swing the baby around and hold them on your back (you bend so that your back is parallel to the floor), then throw the straps up and tighten them. It's easier than it sounds once you get the hang of it, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQUi7bgLn1Q

I have the Boba carrier, was £79.99, best money i've ever spent!! Can carry LO on front or back, facing inwards (close you you) Suitable from 15lbs - 45lbs, i carry my LO on front and back and can't feel his weight at all (he is around 23lbs) xx

we have the littlelife ultralight and its fab!!! Love the fact that bubs goes in then we put it on and off we go :)

The ones where you have to put bub in then kind of contort around confuse me so this is perfect. It fitsa me and hubby equally well despite there being a foot height difference, plus it fits comfortably oveer BF boobs :thumbup:

We got the ultralight after wavering between it and the traveller one but as the only difference is the additional storage we went for the untralite as we only really need the additional storage when hubby is there too in which case he can carry another bag, also love that can fit nappychange essentials in the bag with bub on my back as well.

My youngest has fallen asleep in it and has been in it since 5 months, the eldest still fits in it and both are comfy to carry in it. We got it for £65 from pramworld

I have the Boba carrier, was £79.99, best money i've ever spent!! Can carry LO on front or back, facing inwards (close you you) Suitable from 15lbs - 45lbs, i carry my LO on front and back and can't feel his weight at all (he is around 23lbs) xx

We have a Boba too, they are very similar to the Ergo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Its so light and compact so I can bring it everywhere with me, my oldest loves hiking so we do a lot of it and I can carry Charlie on my front (19lbs) for a long long time. I have a friend who carries her daughter, shes a big girl and over a year old and she back carries every single day with no problems.
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/mystika802/March10th20112.jpg

Thank you for all your replies! I really like the Boba and the Ergo, are there any main differences between them? I had not originally looked at this style but they look very comfortable and light weight. I dont want anything heavy because the hills Im planning on walking up are pretty steep and I think Ill have a hard enough job getting up them as it is! Maybe Ill need to throw treats ahead for my dog to pull me up!!

Thank you for all your replies! I really like the Boba and the Ergo, are there any main differences between them? I had not originally looked at this style but they look very comfortable and light weight. I dont want anything heavy because the hills Im planning on walking up are pretty steep and I think Ill have a hard enough job getting up them as it is! Maybe Ill need to throw treats ahead for my dog to pull me up!!

I only use the ergo, not the boba, but I have to admit I don't see any real difference between them? At least from the photos.

I couldnt see much difference either by looking at the pictures. I just wish they werent quite so expensive. I think its something I would really use though since I am surrounded by amazing countryside. I havent been on one country walk since LO was born and I'm feeling a little fed up walking round the small place I live with the pram.

Okay I think I found the difference.

Apparently, Ergo goes up to 35lbs but Boba goes up to 45lbs.

Looks like I'm going to consider a Boba too : rofl: to add to my growing collection.

another ergo lover here. My LO is now over 20lbs but I can barely feel her on my back. Doing the backcarry doesn't take long to get used to. I tried it a few times around the house and am now confident to do it anywhere.

Do you guys find the back carry cooler than the front one? I'm getting soooo hot carrying Ivy on my front, I'm actually having to use the pram way more than I want to right now :(

I've been searching the Internet to help make up my mind and have come across these differences: ergo has pockets and has an insert which can be used from birth (means we can use it for baby 2 if we are lucky enough to have another), boba can't be used until 15kg and has a higher back which helps if ur child likes to arch their back when they are older. I prefer how the boba looks but I don't want to carry a bag if im out a walk for keys, phone etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->