Baby carrier recommendations!

DaisyAnne

Reaction score
Just thinking about what kind of carrier I want to get this time. I had a baby bjorn with my son, and we hated it. This time, though, I want to get something that we'll be able to use a lot. I'm top heavy, so I'm particularly interested for recommendations for women with larger chests! That just got in the way with carriers and carrying baby in one just added to my back pain issues.

I do have a moby, but I want something else, too, that won't be as warm for summer months! Thanks!!

O man... I'm not top heavy usually a B But with dd I was a DD while bf, ... but I have a TON of carriers and love them all for different things. I used my wraps most often in the beginning, she just felt so snug in them and she loved them! We have a meitai, which I loved when she got a bit bigger, and several others. I'm interested to see what other people recommend!

Do you have a sling meet near you? If so you could go along and try different carriers to find one that suits you. My personal favourites are woven wraps and the Connecta, which is a buckle carrier. It is comfortable and very easy to use.

I've heard good things about Tula. I want to get a new one for this baby. I did the moby with my first when she was a newborn, but ugh what a pain. Too much fabric. Too complicated. I didn't like it

I just used a standard carrier with my son. My mum made me a ring sling specially but I just never got the hang of it but will be trying again this time. I'm also getting a Connecta because I've seen so many ladies wearing them and they look so comfortable and baby looks so snug and comfy.

Thanks all!

I've heard good things about the tula, too, I've been contemplating that one.
I want to choose carefully bc I had such bad back problems when my DS was born, and I can't remember exactly but I was like a GG cup or something when I was breastfeeding- so it's really important for something that will fit well and support well for my back!

They all suit everyone differently so your best bet might be to try a few different types before you buy so you know which will suit your needs best and be the most comfortable for you. Lillebaby carriers actually have a lumbar support, I haven't tried one yet but I think I'll check them out for this baby. I used a ring sling and a Tula with my toddler when he was younger and I still use the Tula occasionally now, I found them both really comfortable.

I swear by Ergo, the straps are comfortable and the height of the buckles adjustable. I like as well that I can carry monkey (3yrs) on my back now as I still take ergo on walks as my little one can't always keep up. I didn't like the Moby as the wrapping just was too aaargh...
I'm not big busted & have no back issues, so not sure if ergo would work well. Slings might be OK, but put one-sided strain on yr shoulders & back ? You'll have to research.

I started with a Mei-Tai but I found that as I walked around the waist straps (double wrapped around me) started tightening/slipping so that the baby would ride lower and lower and my waist would be constricted further and further. I think I was doing something wrong, but anyway I got a Baba-sling and it was so much easier, but still, only really appropriate for the early months because of the way the weight is distributed. Then we got an Ergo and it was great - easy to put on, weight is born mostly on the hips, and it was in use from about 5 months to 2 years. I still kept it in the car in case of emergency for a long time because it is so much easier to carry a kid long distances with the Ergo.

I used k'tan with my son and LOVED it but was too fat to reuse with my second, so I got the boba wrap. Once I learned how to wrap it, I thoroughly enjoyed using it and will do so again with this baby. K'tan breeze is good for summer babies because it has a mesh side.

Oooooo. Best thing is to just try a load out. Not one will suit everyone. With my first three we have used caboo in the first few months. Then graduated to the lightweight connecta. We also use the ergo, mamduca and tula. My husband prefers the Tula. He is 6ft4 and heavy set. I also really like our Lenny lamb meitei.x. For my own personal comfort needs its the Tula and Lenny lamb meitai.

I tried wrapping but my shoulders are so damaged I just couldn't get enough a movement to wrap.

Yep get yourself along to a sling library to try some on. I cannot use an ergo at all, it just doesn't work for me and I can't use a Tula on my front but as you have heard others love them.

I have a Mei Tei but we got it when he was a few months old so I'm but sure how it would have worked out with a newborn but I think it would have been easy! Downside is the straps are long but you can cut and hem them!
I have heard great things about Moby's and Tulas

I had a moby wrap for my daughter....and the toddler Tula when she was 18 months, loved the Tula so we have just purchased a Tula baby carrier for this little one :) I'm so excited to baby wear again :) we didn't get the moby until my daughter was 3 or 4 months old so it will be amazing to use it from the beginning this time - especially as I'll be keeping up with my eldest daughter this time round

I've had a Babasling, Babybjorn, Babyhawk and Connecta. The Connecta is by FAR the best and will be using that from the start with this 2nd one :)

I had an ergo for last bub and will be getting the ergo 360 for this bub :)
I don't have big boobs though.

I'm using a caboo for the first months, then have a rose and rebellion, but also going to sling meet as I really want to learn how to ring sling and try a connecta and a tula!

I'm a ftm so have never used one before, but based on reviews/suggestions I've read I bought a Beco Gemini.

I got to try out a couple wraps at a recent baby show and I quite liked the Little Frog woven wraps. Really nice fabric and learning how to wrap it wasn't that difficult. I am also a D/DD cup size and it seemed to work well with the 10 pound doll, lol.

Something I've learned about my area is that there are a couple of babywearing groups that socialize on Facebook and get together at least monthly. Maybe try looking for one in your area and see if there are some wraps/carriers that you can try out?

Thanks,
Jenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"