baby clothes, blankets, swaddling things and sleeping bags questions

soootired

Reaction score
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::dohh::dohh::dohh:
Been washing baby clothes/blankets today, some gifts some ebay and threw in the new ones two just to be on the safe side and am confused. I am havin a girl and hate shopping without a buggy so want to do most asap.
1, First how many newborn clothes do i need? or do i stick mainly to the 0-3 months one? and what size do i take to hospital?
2, Do i need long sleeve bodysuits, i have some pretty ones for under dresses etc but do the need these under the sleepsuits in cold weather instead of the short sleeve ones?
3, I have some with no stitching in the foot area (toe safe) i think. is this nessesary as i am now paranoid the ones without this will cut off my babies feet lol does this ever happen?
and one last q
4, what do you use for sleeping when baby is little, swaddling things blankets or sleeping bags. I plan on using sleeping bags when she is older but when she i tiny what is best, i think i heard somewhere that sleeping bags shouldnt be used till later?, what do i take to hospital? I have one of each so far what do i buy more of?
Any answers appreciated

I'll try to answer to the best of my ability hon I'm newbie at this too, so hopefully someone more experienced and practical will come along other then me ROLF.

1- I bought a premie set, its was 3 onsies and lil pants, in case she comes early cuz that is a possiblity with any baby. I also bough newborn, I noticed some newborn clothe looks bigger and smaller I would bring a lil of each because we don't really know what size are baby are going to be. I bought maybe 2 weeks of newborn outfits but I also bought lots of 0-3 months too, just in case. Newbie at this too.

2, if your baby coming in colder weather jumpsuits/sleepys are GREAT and will keep are bundles nice and warm. My mom also had me buy onsies for under them and newborn tee shirt to keep the babe warm. So yo might want to pick up newborn undershirts to go under your babys clothe rather is short or long sleve. (excuse the spelling tired, lol)

3, not sure hopefully a more expereinced pregnant lady will advise ya! LOL.

4, My mom told me she does not use her blanket at night yet, all I need to do it change her diaper and put pjs on her and swaddle her while she a newborn. But I can't remember how long or if she ment for all night because I heard your not suppose to put a blanket around a newborn cuz they can sufficate on it, but I heard swaddling okay cuz there are all tucked in nice and tight and can't move much, they like it as it reminds them of being in the womb. Correct me if I'm wrong ladies cuz newbie on this too.

For my own baby girl bag I packed.
2 new born undershirts
2 new born outfits (pants/long sleeves)
2 Premie outfits incase she smaller then expected
Bottle Burp Cloths
Recieving blankets (to wrap her up in/extra)
I put in a pink soft winnie the pooh blanket to wrap her in on top of the recieving blanket, as it will be really cold when we bring her home. Want to keep the cold away. Plus I have a funny feeling it will be her favorite blankie LOL.
New born socks
New born hat (two)
Diapers
Wipes

Went brain dead but that what I already have in her bag and I still have a bit to go, lol! Lots of luck sweetie.

1, First how many newborn clothes do i need? or do i stick mainly to the 0-3 months one? and what size do i take to hospital?
Take some tiny baby-0-3, I would say...not sure seeing as my baby is teeny tiny :rofl:
2, Do i need long sleeve bodysuits, i have some pretty ones for under dresses etc but do the need these under the sleepsuits in cold weather instead of the short sleeve ones?
Always have cardigans. Sorted
3, I have some with no stitching in the foot area (toe safe) i think. is this nessesary as i am now paranoid the ones without this will cut off my babies feet lol does this ever happen?
ERm, I dunno what you mean lol!
and one last q
4, what do you use for sleeping when baby is little, swaddling things blankets or sleeping bags. I plan on using sleeping bags when she is older but when she i tiny what is best, i think i heard somewhere that sleeping bags shouldnt be used till later?, what do i take to hospital? I have one of each so far what do i buy more of?
This was something raised by another premature mum in the hospital yesterday. Some say you shouldnt use until later, in fear of that the baby might wriggle down. Personally I will wait a month or so. Just in case.
In the hospital for now they just use cellular cot blankets with alex, along with a knitted cover. thats all you will need, if anything!

What I packed for labour and the hospital
Sod all. It just happened :rofl: You'll be taken care of no matter what!

1, First how many newborn clothes do i need? or do i stick mainly to the 0-3 months one? and what size do i take to hospital? Hannah had very few newborn clothes, which was good as most go up to 10 pounds only and she was 8 pounds 10 ounces at birth! I think it's good to have a few on hand just in case you have a smaller baby but I wouldn't buy too many. It's not going to hurt to use slightly bigger clothes and will save you money. And if you find you really need more than you can go out and get them later :)
2, Do i need long sleeve bodysuits, i have some pretty ones for under dresses etc but do the need these under the sleepsuits in cold weather instead of the short sleeve ones? to be honest we very rarely put anything under Hannah's sleepsuits. But we were able to keep her room at a fairly consistent and warm temp throughout the winter. When we visited my mom it was much colder in the room and we put a t-shirt under her sleep suits which seemed to be enough.
3, I have some with no stitching in the foot area (toe safe) i think. is this nessesary as i am now paranoid the ones without this will cut off my babies feet lol does this ever happen? no I've never heard of this happening ;)
4, what do you use for sleeping when baby is little, swaddling things blankets or sleeping bags. I plan on using sleeping bags when she is older but when she i tiny what is best, i think i heard somewhere that sleeping bags shouldnt be used till later?, what do i take to hospital? I have one of each so far what do i buy more of? We used a swaddling blanket for Hannah until she was older. For the hospital, find out what your hospital does and does not provide. Ours provided the blankets so we did not have to take any. If they don't provide this I'd recommend a swaddling blanket, sleepsuits, bodysuits, and a hat.

Even tho Erica was also 8lb10oz at birth, she lost a pound the first week, and didn't get back up to her birth weight for a month. We really used her newborn stuff. This time we have bought a good amount of newborn, but a lot more of 0-3 as they def do last longer. Erica however didn't really fit into 0-3 until about 1 1/2 months. I'm bringing all newborn to the hospital, and even those are usually big on brand new babies.
Between sleepers and swaddling, babies are usually pretty warm. Especially as they aren't going to be sleeping in the cold. Also when you go out, over the swaddling blanket, we either used a footmuff or another thick blanket. I'm a little unsure since Erica was born in April when it was getting warm, but I think unless you are just putting on the bodysuit and pants, you dont need long sleeved ones underneath.
I also have never heard of this. Most of our sleepers have a seam in the feet.
and one last q
We have and had sleeping bags, however they usually go from 0-9 months, and were not realistic for small babies. Erica was way too tiny for a while and wasn't content using one. We dressed her warm and swaddled her tight in a receiving blanket. She stayed in her receiving blanket all night, she was in a bassinet next to my side of the bed, and I checked on her constantly, all night. Swaddling keeps them warm and content.

Good luck with everything! :D

I have answered in red :)

1, First how many newborn clothes do i need? or do i stick mainly to the 0-3 months one? and what size do i take to hospital?Unless you are being told your baby could be small or big then go on the average newborn size & just but a pack of newborn vests, so enough for 1 a day & then enough for a sleepsuit a day, if you run out due to baby being sick etc then use 0-3 . Its not going to matter if they are a tad to big is it. For the hospital i took 2 newborn vests & 2 newborn sleepsuits, & the same in 0-3.

2, Do i need long sleeve bodysuits, i have some pretty ones for under dresses etc but do the need these under the sleepsuits in cold weather instead of the short sleeve ones? Everyday your baby should be wearing a vest under all clothes, these are generally short sleeved & fasten just under the bump/nappy without legs in, you can also get thes with long arms if its really cold. Sleepsuits are the all in ones with long arms & long legs WITH feet, These are ideally worn all the time when baby is newborn, not tshirt/pants outfits. So a vest & sleepsuit daily.

3, I have some with no stitching in the foot area (toe safe) i think. is this nessesary as i am now paranoid the ones without this will cut off my babies feet lol does this ever happen? dont fully understand what you mean here, preferably put your baby in a sleepsuit with feet to keep them warm.

and one last q

4, what do you use for sleeping when baby is little, swaddling things blankets or sleeping bags. I plan on using sleeping bags when she is older but when she i tiny what is best, i think i heard somewhere that sleeping bags shouldnt be used till later?, what do i take to hospital? I have one of each so far what do i buy more of? Swaddling is not for every baby, some do not like it you wont know til you have your baby, but for the hospital just take a blanket hun not a sleeping bag. Ideally you will want more blankets than sleeping bags. At the hospital they will have their own blankets but its better if you take one of your own then the hospital can use theirs for another baby plus its nice having your own things for baby.
My son hated being swaddled he preferred to be able to move.

Any answers appreciated

Hi thanks for all your advice. much clearer in my head now.
The toe safe thing is mothercare they dont like the stiching by the feet but i guess as none of you have heard of this then i shouldnt worry lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->