Bad eczema flare- 6 weeks pregnant?

macydarling

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I occasionally get eczema but usually I treat it right away with an OTC cream and it goes away. I have never had a flare this bad! I could almost just deal with it but it is on my eyelids and all around my eyes. My eyelids are so puffy and itchy I hardly slept last night. I called my midwife and asked if benadryl is safe to take. She said its safe but to try to avoid it unless I'm be miserable. If its safe why should I avoid it?? I just don't know what to do, I've tried all kinds of creams and nothing helps this terrible itching. I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind!

I haven't changed anything so the only thing I can think of is my hormones are causing this. Should I take the benadryl? Anyone been in is situation before? Help!

I wonder if this is what I have on my fingers between my pinky and ring finger on both hands. It's a little rough and it kinda looks like dry skin. Now that I think about it I had a burning feeling on my hands a couple days ago too. I thought it was so strange because I never get this. I am 5w tomorrow. I will post a picture but I have put cream on it so it looks much better.

Do you think it's the same thing?

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2
Get a script for cortisone. During pregnancy everything flares up for me lol. I get the very odd small eczema but my last pregnancy I had terrible rashes everywhere. Cortisone helped.

Ttcfirst, that looks like eczema to me. Is it itchy?

Tryn4, my ins doesn't become effective til the 11th so I have to wait to see a Dr. I was going to try otc hydrocortisone cream but I read online its a no no?

I just took half of a benadryl pill. I hope it works! I feel guilty. Like I'm being a wimp and should just suck it up and not take anything.

Well on and off I have used topical cortisone and it has never affected my pregnancies. I would check with your doctor though because I'm laid back about those things and so is my obgyn..he'll tell me oh just put some cortisone on it. I figure topically can't be too harmful. I more try to avoid stuff you have to swallow. Aveeno itch relief helps too

I have aveeno eczema and gold bond eczema creams. Works well on my arms and face but burns the hell out of my eyelids and doesn't work so great at clearing it up. Also use a humidifier and air purifier and washing my sheets like crazy so I feel Ive exhausted all options. I think the benadryl is working already, praise God. I go to a birthing center and they are more about "natural" approaches which is probably why she said to avoid the benadryl unless I'm miserable. Well, I think I qualified as miserable!

Lol poor you! Yea I kinda agree though I wouldn't recommend the benadryl but then again I used whatever I want when desperate (within reason lol) hope you feel better soon x

Thanks hun. The adult dose is 2 pills, I only took a half pill. I figure that shouldn't effect much either way but might take the edge off. I will just try and trust the midwife.

I did realize that something has changed in my diet which is I have been drinking a ton of orange juice and lemonade lately. Apparently citric acid can trigger eczema :dohh: usually I avoid citric acid because it gives me canker sores but when it didn't I figured it was OK...guess it manifested in eczema instead! Maybe? Sounds plausible to me...

macydarling, It's not itchy. It was burning a while ago. I put hydrocortisone on it.

If it isn't itchy, it probably isn't eczema. Maybe dry skin I'm general. Eczema's trademark is that its unbearable itchy!

A really good hand cream for dry skin is this certain kind of Eucerin, not greasy at all and feels like a glove. I will see if I can find a link.

Its called Eucerin repair extra enriched hand cream. It has to be that kind, its the best for dry skin, I swear by it!

https://www.amazon.com/Eucerin-Intensive-Repair-Extra-Enriched-Creme/dp/B001699TI8

I have bad eczema as it is but pregnancy makes it flare up so bad. My flare ups with my daughter didn't go away until a few months after having her! I've still got scars on my legs from the flare ups from when I would scratch in my sleep and wake up a bloody mess.

This time around I have it all over my left arm and stomach/sides. Cocoa butter and shea butter (the thick stuff in jars) are the only thing that seem to help so far.

You have my deepest sympathies Greats! Does the cocoa/Shea butter combo help the itching? The benadryl helped me loads but I would like to avoid it if I can. Maybe I can slather my eyes in cocoa/Shea.

I've struggled with eczema from the day I was born, and with my last pregnancy, the flare-ups were terrible! The only thing that helps the bad ones is prescription cream.

Sorry Dill :( does pregnancy in fact cause it to flare worse? Mine has never been this miserable. I'm holding out to see the doc til my new ins kicks in.

It seems that it does make it worse for some women!

Link.

I'm doing okay so far this go-around, but we'll see if it gets worse as I get further along.

Thanks for the link. That's interesting.

Glad you are doing OK so far! Mine has gotten worse in just the past couple days, unfortunately. Can't wait til my doctors appt to get their opinion!

Fingers are crossed that you'll get some relief soon! I know how miserable it is. The weather here always makes mine just that much worse in the wintertime.

One thing that's helped me (aside from giving up all scented detergents and most scented care products) was getting HEPA air filter units for the house. They were pretty inexpensive, and I've noticed a real difference in my eczema flare-ups, along with hubby's snoring. :)

That is a great idea! I have a freestanding air purifier, is that similar to yours? I think we need to clean the filters from the main heating vents though as well. DH noticed they were overdue the other day.

Probably! We don't use the ionizing feature on ours, it just passes the air through a filter that has to be changed out at 3-month intervals. I noticed an improvement with the rest of my allergies, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->