Be honest, is my list mean?

Now I feel mean for my kids lists :wacko:

Plenty of gifts imo! When my older children were younger I bought too many gifts and they got bored of opening them and the excitement wore off. Last year I made a real effort to buy less and it was much nicer :).
My 2 year old is getting:

Melissa and Doug doorbell house
Pyjamas & Bed socks
Furreal dog
Double doll pushchair
Toot Toot farm and animals (bought from Gumtree)
Doll outfit
Doll highchair, swing and travel cot
Doll bath

With small things in her stocking like glitter hair spray, stickers, toothbrush & toothpaste.
I didn't have a set budget in mind, she has absolutely no concept of what things cost or whether her siblings have more spent on them so I won't worry about that until she's much bigger!

Now I feel mean for my kids lists :wacko:

Can’t be any less than ds3’s one birthday present for New Year’s Eve a happyland jack and the beanstalk set half price £25!

Loraloo you are so so right. And the other lady who said shes downsizing as time goes on - That’s what we’ve done out of choice xx

We downsized out of choice too, when we had just the 1 we got really carried away every year but 3 lots of too much would be crazy so we put a limit of 5 things each.

I dont think I've gone as mad this year but theyve got what they wanted n the main presents alone came to over £1000 (bike £400, laptop n headphones £400, 2 electric scooters £280, doll n pram £50, rocking horse £30) see what I mean about it getting more expensive as they get older. Enjoy having them small and not needing huge amounts spent on them while you can.
I keep worrying Caitlyns pile is small but I'm going to stop worrying as if right now!

I think that is plenty for a 2 year old. I bought a ton of presents for my first, but once her siblings came along, it gradually got a little less each year because we had to split the cost of Christmas between them all. Now I limit myself to buying them 1 big present, 2-3 small presents, a couple outfits and a stocking full of goodies. I even count the candy so that they all get the same amount otherwise they fight over everything. I'm enjoying not having to spend a ton of money on them while I can because, like Loraloo said, the older they get the more expensive they get.

That sounds like a lot, kids at that age have no idea of money value of stuff so I wouldn’t worry.

That's more than enough :) Especially with other presents from family, it will add up and look more (if that's your concern). What about a little shopping trolley? It's quite big in size too. We have this one LINK and it gets taken to town, school and the shops around here haha. It's really heavy too but so easy to push - may be out of your price range though.

One of my biggest regrets is buying huge piles if presents from them being tiny. It's so pointless, but once youve started doing it, it gets hard to reign in because they get to an age where theyre expecting that huge pile of pressies... and the older they get the more expensive they get! If i had my time as a first time mum again no way would i be starting out buying so much.
Anyways, I suppose that was a long winded way or saying not to worry, she will be so happy with whatever she gets but it's a brilliant list anyways, shes got lots to open!

I finally realized that, with the help of my sister who has already raised 3 kids, and started cutting back last year when dd was 3, and cut back even more this year. I think I have her 6 gifts total and a stocking. My goal was 5 so I didn't do too bad.

It's not the money which bothers me, it's just thinking if she will have enough to do her almost a whole year u til her birthday in October. We got rid of almost all her toys except her dance mat, trampoline, scooter and till. We buy her literally nothing in between special occasions.

Although it's a lot of items her pile looks tiny, that's mainly what is annoying me. Last year we got her a new car seat and the year before it a jumperoo, so her piles looked huge, whereas this year it's footery little things. I might buy some nappies and wipes and wrap those, lol.

Also normally we buy her loads of clothes (again we don't really buy her clothes through the year unless she needs something) but she's just gone into a new size so I don't think she will need new things until summer and there's nothing in shops.

I picked a few small things up like a fleece onesie and a rain suit, she needed those anyway as we don't let her wear jackets in the car.

It's not the money which bothers me, it's just thinking if she will have enough to do her almost a whole year u til her birthday in October. We got rid of almost all her toys except her dance mat, trampoline, scooter and till. We buy her literally nothing in between special occasions.

Although it's a lot of items her pile looks tiny, that's mainly what is annoying me. Last year we got her a new car seat and the year before it a jumperoo, so her piles looked huge, whereas this year it's footery little things. I might buy some nappies and wipes and wrap those, lol.

Also normally we buy her loads of clothes (again we don't really buy her clothes through the year unless she needs something) but she's just gone into a new size so I don't think she will need new things until summer and there's nothing in shops.

I picked a few small things up like a fleece onesie and a rain suit, she needed those anyway as we don't let her wear jackets in the c9ar.

But she won't remember last year, she has nothing to compare it to, shes 2. She will have a grand time opening them all and I'm sure if she needs anything extra mid year then you'll get her it. Again, wish I could take my own advice, but try to not get info the habit of buying extra things to make the pile up. Think what extra that money could make to her day to day life rather than just an extra toy etc when she has plenty already. If youre really wanting to get extra maybe think of something like booking days out, swimming sessions etc but if its purely cos her pile looks small id not worry x

I picked a few small things up like a fleece onesie and a rain suit, she needed those anyway as we don't let her wear jackets in the c9ar.

But she won't remember last year, she has nothing to compare it to, shes 2. She will have a grand time opening them all and I'm sure if she needs anything extra mid year then you'll get her it x

You are totally right. I'm being ridiculous! It's 100% a "me" issue. I think I'm comparing her presents to other people's, which is ridiculous as we are also saving for a wedding and my fiancé is currently not working for health reasons. Plus, I can't actually think of anything else she would like.

I echo everyone else here. She will love it.

I've found over the years that with the great big piles the kids get so overhwelmed and fed up. I've reduced the toys this year, still a pretty big pile but it's lots of little things like pens, books, games to bulk it up. The toys just end up stuck in a box. My eldest only plays with ponies and dress up and my youngest only plays with paw patrol.
Think of toy story and all those toys not being played with lol

I don't think that's mean, I think that's a fabulous list for a little one! She's a lucky girl! And I'm sure she'll be made up :)
We usually have the older children write a list of say ten or fifteen items then pick a few from that list, trying to spend about the same on each child. We have five so if we bought everything on their lists it would be crazy and we would be flat out broke.
We usually buy a few things from their lists then add in stocking fillers and some clothes.
For example DSD has two grown up colouring books, a set of artists decent pens and pencils, some paper, a charm bracelet, a Lush soap and lip balm, some socks and clothes. The soap, balm and socks are for her stocking, and then they all have random stocking fillers. She was asking for all this My Little Pony stuff including a huge expensive castle, but she's twelve, so we thought she's getting a little too grown up for this kind of stuff and it just doesn't feel worth buying things which are over priced and which she'll inevitably lose interest in after a short time.
Youngest two have a couple of toys each, a new Amazon Kindle Fire tablet each (got them in the sale) some clothes and bath bombs. The boys have a few things from their lists and some clothes and stocking fillers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->