Bed sharing article

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this. There are some links to either results or research within the article (haven't got the time to click right now).

https://thesleepstore.wordpress.com...azards-with-bed-sharing-new-research-for-you/

Of particular interest:

"There was no significantly increased risk for SIDS associated with bed-sharing in the absence of sofa-sharing, alcohol consumption and smoking. In infants aged less than 3 months the same proportion of SIDS infants and control infants bed-shared in the absence of these hazardous conditions and the difference was not significant. Conversely, bed-sharing in the absence of other hazards was significantly protective for infants older than 3 months; a finding that was unexpected and has not been previously reported to our knowledge. Notably, the risk associated with infants co-sleeping on a sofa or sleeping next to an adult in the parental bed who had consumed more than two units of alcohol was a magnitude higher than most risk factors associated with SIDS. Both of these environments pose a risk to the infant regardless of infant age. The reasons as to why infants are at increased risk when sleeping next to a smoker are not clear, but this risk seems to be far greater in the younger infants”.

I always felt like I had to hide and be ashamed of bed sharing with my children. I'm hoping that this sort of thing at least brings it out of the "omg you're gonna kill your baby!" catagory into the "hey, that's a valid option" one.

thanks for sharing

now you have to find me an article about the benefits of co-sleeping with a toddler so I don't have to hide and be ashamed either :winkwink:

I'm looking for the "benefits" of bedsharing with a 5 yrs old :rofl:

I'm currently bed sharing with my 18 month old, and if it comes up in conversation people look at me like I've fallen from the sky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->