bedfordshire anyone

I've heard a couple of bad things about Bedford Maternity Ward but overall almost everything I hear about it is positive; I found the Midwives there very good.

I ended up having an episiotomy & assisted delivery (ventouse) and the Doctor who did it and her assistant Midwives were all really good, telling me what they were going to do and what was happening :)

Hi shining star.congrats on your pregnancy!!
And quite an impressive post count too for a 'newbie'.lol!
Where abouts in letchworth do you work?

Aly i moved because something just didnt feel "right" with Stevenage, i didnt like their antenatal care, they messed my appointments up over my low lying placenta so i didnt really have much faith in them to deliver Brooke safely, Bedford was a lot nicer, though they had me out of the door within 4 hours of me giving birth which was a bit mental for a first time mum

Shining Star ... i have literally JUST moved from Arlesey in the last 3 months, and i work in Letchworth too lol, how odd!!

I have no idea whats normal for how long they like to keep you in after a natural birth coz they wanted to keep me for three days,but I wasnt hanging around and was out the day after.but that was nothing to do with the hospital,just me not being able to sleep with three other women and their babies,and their families in the same room/area as me!!lol

No i dont either but my MW led me to believe it was "normal" for them to keep first time mums in overnight in the least, both at Bedford and Stevenage, but i was happy to go home really, didnt really fancy sleeping in a noisy ward when your own nice warm bed is on offer :lol:

Hi,

ally888, I am a teacher and work in a primary school near the centre of Letchworth.

It's interesting reading your thoughts on Lister and Bedford hospital, so far our scans have been at the Lister but we are thinking that we want to transfer everything to Bedford as it has better reviews and you ladies have just confirmed it!

Polo Princess, it's a small world, we moved from Hitchin to Arlesey in June... did you move far? We are really enjoying living here, it's nice because we look out over the fields and can see horses etc...

Anyway, better get off. Half term is coming to an end and I haven't finished my planning for next week!

ShiningStar,i cant compare it to any other hospital but I couldnt fault Bedford hospital or the staff one bit!!i had emergency c-section and everyone was so helpful and nice,wich was especially useful seeing as I couldnt do anything for myself.lol
If I had to complain it would be about the bounty photographer...but you get them wherever you go and from what iv read on here,alot of people dont think much to bounty anyway.haha

I was quite put off Lister because of peoples experiences with them, mainly a girl i know was left infertile due to their negligence, she won at a court hearing and is now owed IVF when she chooses.

Bedford i couldnt fault really either, if i did id just be nit picking, though Bedford does have a bit of a reputation of being a "dirty" hospital, quite a few outbreaks of illnesses and often having wards closed

Shining Star i think the world gets even smaller as before we moved to Arlesey we lived in Hitchin :rofl: We lived on the new estate behind Bourne Brothers, opposite the Three Tuns pub. I loved Arlesey and id move back there in a shot but at the time there wasnt a house that suited what we wanted :(

I was quite put off Lister because of peoples experiences with them, mainly a girl i know was left infertile due to their negligence, she won at a court hearing and is now owed IVF when she chooses.

Bedford i couldnt fault really either, if i did id just be nit picking, though Bedford does have a bit of a reputation of being a "dirty" hospital, quite a few outbreaks of illnesses and often having wards closed

Shining Star i think the world gets even smaller as before we moved to Arlesey we lived in Hitchin :rofl: We lived on the new estate behind Bourne Brothers, opposite the Three Tuns pub. I loved Arlesey and id move back there in a shot but at the time there wasnt a house that suited what we wanted :(

Ha ha!!! Do you mean St John's? We live on the new on the other side of the high Street (virtually opposite!!!). The Three Tuns is now closed down, think it's going to be Barn Conversions now. It's hard to choose a hospital, Stevenage also has a reputation for being dirty... To be honest my brother in law gets married 3 days before we are due so we will be up in Derby for a while, it could be that it's all irrelevant and I end up having her in Derby! :dohh: But, it's nice to hear from people who have had experience of different hospitals, thanks. :thumbup:

:lol: yeap thats where we lived on St Johns!!

My boss lives on the same estate as you, he lives in the big black coach house thing when you first go into your estate, do you know which one i mean? :lol:

Knowing the chances you probably will end up having her in Derby, you'll be away from home so something is bound to happen!!

:lol: yeap thats where we lived on St Johns!!

My boss lives on the same estate as you, he lives in the big black coach house thing when you first go into your estate, do you know which one i mean? :lol:

Knowing the chances you probably will end up having her in Derby, you'll be away from home so something is bound to happen!!

Ha ha! I have a friend who's daughter lives on St Johns! The park area is quite sweet. I'm not sure what you mean by the coach house... Do you know where the social club is? If that's on your left we live down the next left. Not far away!

Yeah, I would be wuite happy to have her in Derby though... the hospital there has good reviews and a good rep. Think we will go with Bedford 'officially' though, my MW said that she would transfer my notes over at my next appointment if we decided to change so I don't suppose it is too much of a problem.

The park area is sweet once it was finally built, it took them months and months to build it, infact somewhere in General Chat section i posted a thread asking people to guess what it was with pictures when they first started it, everyone thought a park or a shop :rofl: :rofl:

A coach house is like a detached flat with a garage underneath it, its a big black cladded looking thing with the door on ground level and the windows on the 1st level, i think its round on the left hand side when you go into your estate

Changing of notes is easy, all your MW does is fill a form in to request a change of notes, you both sign it and she posts it to Bedford, then they send you out a new hospital number. Nothing major, though i never got my hospital number, i did change at 34 weeks though so it was cutting it fine :lol:

Lol,that must be one epic park for ppl to think it was going to be a shop!!? :lol:
We have something like that being built in our estate at the moment.they have been doing it for months and no-one knows what its going to be.all we know is its got a two storey building (well,just a frame at the moment) with a small parking area.we are hoping for either a doctors/dentist...or a tesco express :rofl:

Probably neither and it'll be something stupid and pointless knowing the council :rofl:

Haha,yeah,no doubt.its probably another play park but with one mega climbing frame :rofl: whatever it is they are taking their bloody time about it!!

Ha ha! Yeah, it's not very big! Although it is bigger than the little 'play area' that is on our estate though! That's tiny! :rofl:

My MW seemed to think it would be easy to change hospital so I am definately going to do that at my next appointment. Thanks ladies, you've really helped! :thumbup:

I think you'll actually find Bedford is an easier drive to get to, it seems a little longer but its not. Stevenage is quite awkward to get to from Arlesey unless you cut through Hitchin.

My poor OH is from Letchworth so he didnt know how to get to Bedford hospital, i showed him noce before i had Brooke then went i went into labour he totally forgot bless is :rofl:

I think you'll actually find Bedford is an easier drive to get to, it seems a little longer but its not. Stevenage is quite awkward to get to from Arlesey unless you cut through Hitchin.

My poor OH is from Letchworth so he didnt know how to get to Bedford hospital, i showed him noce before i had Brooke then went i went into labour he totally forgot bless is :rofl:

That is something my husband would do! He probably won't have a clue if I am not with him when the time comes! We are going to do a couple of dummy runs! :haha: To give you an idea of what he is like... on Tuesday when it snowed, I dropped him off at Arlesey train station (he works in London) and drove to work (Letchworth)... he phoned me when I got to work to say that the trains weren't operating and he had no keys to get home. He had to walk to Letchworth to collect the keys off me and he still has no idea where his keys are!!! He runs around the house like a nutter searching for keys, wallet etc EVERY day! God knows what he will be like when the baby arrives - I am worried he will leave the house, shut the door and realise he has left the baby inside ~ with NO keys!! :haha: Honestly, he would never make it to Bedford hospital by himself.... but I am NOT having our little girl at The Lister! :nope:

:rofl: Lol,shining star your husband sounds like a nightmare (not in a nasty way)!!
I have no idea where Arlesey is...how far did he have to walk to get your keys?you would have thought that it would encourage him to keep things in a safe and memorable place.haha

LOL its a pretty long walk, id say that must have taken him near on half an hour? :lol:

It has the longest high street in Britian and he walked from one end to about 3/4 up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->