Being Sent Home on Apnea Monitors

ShelbyLC

Twin girls & baby boy!
Reaction score
I was told yesterday that my girls will be coming home from the NICU on apnea monitors - next week! :happydance: I'll be learning how to use the monitors on Tuesday, so the question I'm about to ask is sort of pointless as it will be answered then, but I'm curious now. :blush:

I've been picturing the big, bulky monitor on a rolling pole that they use in the hospital, but it just occurred to me that there must be portable/smaller monitors? So I'm just wondering what size are the monitors that babies are sent home on?

I'm actually relieved that they're being sent home on the monitors. I know I'll sleep better this way. :thumbup:

Also, if any of you have any tips or anything for me when bringing them home, I'd appreciate them! I'm starting to get nervous...first time mom and all.

I have no answers on the size (although id assume they are smaller than the hospital ones!) Just wanted to say that is such exciting news!!! :happydance: Congrats!

The one we had was small (about the size of an iPhone)

We had a small one too. It taped to an area on her tummy and alarmed if she didn't take a breath for 20 seconds or more. Xx

The big one your thinking on if I'm right isn't the apnea one (maybe I'm wrong tho) we had a small one with a blue wire attached to a small round pad and was portable anyway for taking them out of the incubator.. Great news your girls are getting home xx

Thank you, ladies! I feel so much better now. I was worried I'd have to struggle to move a monitor from one room to the next while holding a baby and therefore end up worrying about the baby I just left alone while moving her sister. :dohh:

I'll find out tomorrow what day they get to come home on. I'm learning how to use the monitors on Tuesday early afternoon, but have my CPR class Tuesday night. Hope it'll be Wednesday. I'm so excited. Everything's ready for them...just have to install the car seats! :happydance:

Jude has one as he is also on home oxygen. we have this one (on the left) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...wXY_oGIBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=464#i=8

he has a small round pad taped to his tummy which has a blue wire coming off it. the blue wire then goes into the machine which then alarms if he doesn't breathe for 20 seconds.

it's actually not that big a deal, it just looks exciting to everybody else :dohh:

Jude has one as he is also on home oxygen. we have this one (on the left) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...wXY_oGIBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=464#i=8

he has a small round pad taped to his tummy which has a blue wire coming off it. the blue wire then goes into the machine which then alarms if he doesn't breathe for 20 seconds.

it's actually not that big a deal, it just looks exciting to everybody else :dohh:

We got our monitor yesterday and we have the Safe Monitor 2. Pretty cool and easy to use :thumbup:

Britton had a heart rate drop a few days ago (after 5 days without one :dohh:) so we've restarted the 7-day waiting period. Tegan is good to go - she did her car seat trial last night and just has to take all her feeds by bottle for 48 hours. FX she took all bottles last night after I left, which was the 12 hour mark! Really hoping to bring her home Thursday or Friday - and Britton next week. :flower:

congratulations! bet you're super excited. hope it goes smoothly for you x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->