Benefit street

4 boys

Reaction score
Watched it and it's hard to agree and disagree :shrug:

Anyone watch it and the live row ??

What are your views??

Channel 4 propaganda you're meant to be horrified and offended hence the title.

Big benefit row was a farce. Katie Hopkins a and Edwina Curry - both spewing shit for a reaction neither are in touch with reality.

Jack Monroe had so much to say, so much good advice to give and she had to spend her precious time defending her family. She is the voice of what being on benefits is really like.

Yes there are a small percent of people who are claiming fraudulently or see benefits as a lifestyle. They make up about 1% of benefit claimants. The majority is pension and housing benefits.

Almost everyone receives some type of benefit. If you have a genuine claim do not feel ashamed. I claim DLA for my son I feel no shame at all he is entitled to that money.

Channel 4 propaganda you're meant to be horrified and offended hence the title.

This.
I haven't been able to watch any of it, the idea boils my piss. Shaming those who need a little extra help by using wildly unrealistic examples of those on benefits (and taking absolute advantage of them, lying to the participants to get a show out of them), in order to distract the nation from where "taxpayers money" is really being wasted.

It's little surprise to see this sort of thing with a general election just around the corner. They're really pulling out the big guns.

1656027_10202995330984480_1789020336_n.jpg

Me and OH just watched the first half of a documentary on the iPlayer called These Four Walls - about the aspirations of a group of people on benefits. It's really good so far and I wonder if they've shown it this week to counteract the channel 4 stuff at the moment.

I don't get the uproar over this programme in all honesty. I don't know a single person who believes that it is representative of benefits claimants as a whole. It is a semi reality tv programme, along the same lines as My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. The people featured may have said and done certain things, but without context they mean nothing.

It irritates me more that people are assuming that viewers of the programme are seeing it as representative and factual.

I have seen the programme but didn't watch the live debate as I thought it was pointless.

The vast majority of benefits claimants have a genuine reason for doing so and a very small minority don't. It would take more than a Channel 4 television programme to change my view on that.

I know a lot of people who assume it's representative of benefits claimants, sadly. The topic came up at work the other day and every single person claimed they were 'disgusted' that their tax money goes to fund benefits, and admitted that they look down at those on benefits now. Just because of a TV show. My twitter/Facebook feeds show exactly the same reaction. People I know who've BEEN on benefits before, calling all those claiming them scum.

The media is incredibly powerful and that shouldn't be underestimated. The seed has been planted for this benefits hate for a while now, the show is just a contributing factor.

Sorry, but if people base (or change) their opinions on one Channel 4 programme that features say a dozen people that happen to claim benefit then we have a far bigger problem than the welfare bill!

I appreciate and agree the media is powerful, but you have to rely on people using some form of common sense as well. There have been plenty of media scandals, with vote rigging, phone hacking and libel cases for it to be pretty apparent that you can't believe everything you see or read.

I totally agree with you on that one, no common sense at all.

One thing that was never really mentioned on the debate is those who do work and claim benefits...I mean te likes of Katie Hopkins and Edwina currie (who tbh were very narrow minded in this debate to out it nicely) had this assumption that all benefits claimants were out of work whilst hardworking people weren't. It was briefly mentioned that housing benefit wasn't meant to be used for what it is.i work full time (currently on mat leave) I have always worked (not slagging those of who aren't for whatever reason) but for us to live we claim child benefit (which up to a yr 1/2 / 2 yrs ago EVERYONE claimed) tax credits (we are entitled to both as I'm on a low wage) and housing benefit as rental prices are ridiculous. Hen saying to edwina currie raise wages they were sayin we can't afford it. I have said it before it's called an investment. It would pay for itself to have highly subsidised childcare and a living wage. Having a rental industry that is regulated so unfair rents charges and penalties to tenants aren't as consistent as they are. (I will have to pay £90 in oct just to sign on the dotted line again!) they tell working mums to try harder to find a job. Well she obviously hasn't been discriminated against in a job interview for being a mother.. I have, and by a big so called family friendly company in this country.how the hell are you supposed to find a job that's worth having if they won't hire you because ur a mum. I'm certain my oh wouldn't have this issue!
Just my 2 pennies!

I agree it's made for the shock factor and to wind people up

It's unfair on those who need benefits and are not just too lazy to get a job

I also though do know a fair few people from my home town who are a bit like those you see on the programme

Facebook is full of people who believe everything they see on benefit street. It's a little like the assumption that illegal immigrants come here, claim all the benefits and have a lovely home. They're ILLEGAL they don't get anything! :dohh:

Hayz you're right. Like I said the majority of people in this country receive some sort of benefit. Where do you stop slagging off those who claim it. I don't really see the difference. We're still getting help from the Government my partner just happens to also work over 40 hours a week.

Benefits street itself is a cleverly cut show in order to portray a section of society that is already vilified. Sometimes they slip though and accidentally show the street in a positive light. Such as the immigrants, i felt awful for them.
Fact is the percentage is low, the rich take, cheat and steal billions more than the poor.
There aren't enough jobs to go around. What are the poor supposed to do? Give up all their benefits out of pride and live on the street!?

One thing that was never really mentioned on the debate is those who do work and claim benefits...I mean te likes of Katie Hopkins and Edwina currie (who tbh were very narrow minded in this debate to out it nicely) had this assumption that all benefits claimants were out of work whilst hardworking people weren't. It was briefly mentioned that housing benefit wasn't meant to be used for what it is.i work full time (currently on mat leave) I have always worked (not slagging those of who aren't for whatever reason) but for us to live we claim child benefit (which up to a yr 1/2 / 2 yrs ago EVERYONE claimed) tax credits (we are entitled to both as I'm on a low wage) and housing benefit as rental prices are ridiculous. Hen saying to edwina currie raise wages they were sayin we can't afford it. I have said it before it's called an investment. It would pay for itself to have highly subsidised childcare and a living wage. Having a rental industry that is regulated so unfair rents charges and penalties to tenants aren't as consistent as they are. (I will have to pay £90 in oct just to sign on the dotted line again!) they tell working mums to try harder to find a job. Well she obviously hasn't been discriminated against in a job interview for being a mother.. I have, and by a big so called family friendly company in this country.how the hell are you supposed to find a job that's worth having if they won't hire you because ur a mum. I'm certain my oh wouldn't have this issue!
Just my 2 pennies!

Agree entirely. We're living hand to mouth most of the time, hubby is a student and I have worked around having the kids and am now looking at returning. I do not understand two things. 1 - how people who are claiming to be intelligent can be so short-sighted as to call all claimants 'scum' as I've seen on my FB feed too, and 2 - how the government can claim that things economically are getting better when over half of the households in this country receive some kind of tax credit subsidy, nearly 3/4 receive child benefit, and that's to mention allowances given to carers, pension credits and all the other little caveats that are out there. My husband and I are workers, and yet at the moment most of our income is made up of benefits as i've been off having the babies, and he's a student. No-one (I hope) would accuse us of being 'scum' but by their own reference, we fall into that group.

Personally I think the problem is wages. If people stopped working for a pittance (which the tax credit and ESA system allows them to do, the employers would have to pay more in order for people to actually work. Same for farmers - how can it be right that subsidies form most farmer's income, the sales of their crop often costing them money. :shrug:

This world is twisted and upside down. It needs a massive shake up, but I just don't see the government letting it happen. They've invested too much in it to let it sink, which is, in fact, what it needs.

I completely agree with what everyone else has said.

I think the media need to be held more accountable. People are now starting to realise that what they see in the papers/these documentaries isn't necessarily true but my Facebook proves there are still a lot more who blindly believe it and it winds me up no end!

If you'd have asked me a year ago I'd have been one of those people saying "I don't want my taxes paying for someone who doesn't want to work" and to a certain extent that is still true. I don't want to pay for someone to stay at home because "they don't fancy working". However I now know (from doing my own research) that those people are very few and far between and my taxes pay for other far more important things and go to far more deserving people. I have worked since I was 16, I enjoy working and I will continue to but at the same time if anything did happen then I would hate for people to judge me just because I was claiming benefits. "Benefits" has almost been made into a rude word, it now conjures up a stereotype that is far from the truth and this needs to change. Benefits are supposed to support people going through a hard time who need it, there is no shame in this at all.

If I'm honest I don't care what benefits anyone claims, that is their business not mine. I think it's horrible that we now seem to judge people so easily, people are judged on their looks, their accents, their clothes, their beliefs, the list is endless! It's ok to have an opinion on these things but it's not ok to make someone else feel bad because their opinion doesn't match yours...but that's just my opinion :haha:

I do try to keep an open mind when watching these as it does seem to have a political agenda (shame on you channel 4- I thought that was for the BBC only!)

As other have said whilst I don't agree with the way these people live, they are such a small percentage in the grand scheme of things, and is it not society fault for allowing this cycle of poverty to continue - where is the better education, the jobs, the infrastructure?? It seems the whole country focusing on London and all the amazing figures it producing whilst the rest of the country rots.

I wonder if there would be as much up roar if they did 'commercial street' and followed the big guns like Amazon, Google, starbucks and the 000's of other companies that avoid tax ....as I am sure if we begun reclaiming this, then there would be no need for all these benefit cuts for the average Joe trying to live.

*I know the tax loop holes that these companies are exploiting are perfectly legal and are almost necessary to create business within the EU, but it should be made law that a company has to pay the tax of the country they are trading in not where they are registered.

^^ What a load of cr*p.

I think that the residents of Downing Street get wages, not benefits.

Also, it was reported in the media that the renovations to number 10 were little more than a new kitchen, as there hadn't been a new one since at least the 1980's. If they had spent the over £680,000, they would have had to knock down half the house and rebuild it, and I think we would all have noticed that.

I completely agree with what everyone else has said.

I think the media need to be held more accountable. People are now starting to realise that what they see in the papers/these documentaries isn't necessarily true but my Facebook proves there are still a lot more who blindly believe it and it winds me up no end!

If you'd have asked me a year ago I'd have been one of those people saying "I don't want my taxes paying for someone who doesn't want to work" and to a certain extent that is still true. I don't want to pay for someone to stay at home because "they don't fancy working". However I now know (from doing my own research) that those people are very few and far between and my taxes pay for other far more important things and go to far more deserving people. I have worked since I was 16, I enjoy working and I will continue to but at the same time if anything did happen then I would hate for people to judge me just because I was claiming benefits. "Benefits" has almost been made into a rude word, it now conjures up a stereotype that is far from the truth and this needs to change. Benefits are supposed to support people going through a hard time who need it, there is no shame in this at all.

If I'm honest I don't care what benefits anyone claims, that is their business not mine. I think it's horrible that we now seem to judge people so easily, people are judged on their looks, their accents, their clothes, their beliefs, the list is endless! It's ok to have an opinion on these things but it's not ok to make someone else feel bad because their opinion doesn't match yours...but that's just my opinion :haha:

This. We don't actually get benefits apart from Child Tax Credit as OH earns too little for WTC and he don't claim housing, but watching stuff like this still makes me feel really ashamed of myself and I get uneasy when benefits are brought up in conversation. I can't even spend my Healthy Start vouchers, which we get for low income (£6k/year), cos I'm too embarrassed. The stigma is awful, and so many people are forced in to living on JSA at the moment that the idea of lazy benefits claimants is incredibly unfounded.

I don't judge people on benefits. I do however judge people who have very dirty houses, dirty children, parents who make their kids sit in a front room while they puff away and parents who talk to their children like scum.

This is why I got rid of my sky box. Fed up with car crash reality tv. I did see it on catch up tv and decided to watch one to see what the rage was about. I expected to see rich people with cool cars,woman dolled up looking well instead I seen poverty and people looking like they didnt have a lot of money. So I turned it off. From what I hear you are suppose to be loaded on benefits. I know not one person on benefits that is loaded. I seen plenty of poverty though, food banks now open in this area I am in, no housing for people who need it. 11 jobs in my town in a few weeks and I seen less. Thousands unemployed being told to "get a job". Its a distraction. Poor hating. I am more horrified when I see what MPs do. Perks of the job they call them though. TV is only going to show you drama for ratings and views. Remember this. Not the actual real story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->