Benefit street

I don't judge people on benefits. I do however judge people who have very dirty houses, dirty children, parents who make their kids sit in a front room while they puff away and parents who talk to their children like scum.

I absolutely agree with this though.

I don't judge people on benefits. I do however judge people who have very dirty houses, dirty children, parents who make their kids sit in a front room while they puff away and parents who talk to their children like scum.

Absolutely.

I don't really care who claims what or why but I do care a lot about the poor children on the show. Their parents are vile and ought to be ASHAMED.

To me, Benefits Street highlighted their failings as parents, I wasn't interested in their finances.

Absolutely.

I don't really care who claims what or why but I do care a lot about the poor children on the show. Their parents are vile and ought to be ASHAMED.

To me, Benefits Street highlighted their failings as parents, I wasn't interested in their finances.

BUT that couple with the two young children... When the HV visited, the house was spotless. So I think perhaps the TV crew told them to have it in a certain way, as if they're gonna tidy for the HV you'd think they'd tidy for TV! And the kids weren't dirty, were they? :wacko:

I was saying to OH that although I didn't agree with their parenting they were only about 20 and obviously had a limited education and their support network was the rest of the street, which is obviously very limited, and it's likely that their upbringing taught them no better. So although they were a bit crappy they did seem to me to be trying. Everything I do parenting wise was learnt through instinct, probably based on my upbringing and education, and the internet, which they didn't have. IDK, two sides :shrug:

Some things were horrendous though. White Dee really pissed me off.

Seeing as they don't work and sit at home all day, I'm sure they have more than enough time to clean :wacko:

I agree with kala x

Oh yes the shit tip they live in, there's just no excuse for that

I dont work and 'sit at home all day' not really we do lots of activites but I always have a mad rush getting things clean for the next day at about 10pm, however lO is always clean and well looked after.
I could cope with the state of their house as kids do make a mess and the mum did look like she tried with discipline although cant say she actually had a clue on how to do it.
There children did look dirty to me though but possibly they mayne just filmed after the kids had eaten or something but the little girl had food all over her face and hair
(If someone filmed my son straight after hed eaten hed be filthy though)

I personally wudnt want to live like any of them, if there were women on it from desperate housewives or something having lovely holidays and living in big houses id be pretty pissed off but it looked like a life of poverty to me?

I think the majority of them look very depressed on it. I feel sorry for a lot of them.

Agree with Kalas statement

Absolutely.

BUT that couple with the two young children... When the HV visited, the house was spotless. So I think perhaps the TV crew told them to have it in a certain way, as if they're gonna tidy for the HV you'd think they'd tidy for TV! And the kids weren't dirty, were they? :wacko:

I was saying to OH that although I didn't agree with their parenting they were only about 20 and obviously had a limited education and their support network was the rest of the street, which is obviously very limited, and it's likely that their upbringing taught them no better. So although they were a bit crappy they did seem to me to be trying. Everything I do parenting wise was learnt through instinct, probably based on my upbringing and education, and the internet, which they didn't have. IDK, two sides :shrug:

Agree!

I could be totally wrong but to me they came across as maybe having some sort of learning disability. The fella anyway. Their house was stinking and messy but maybe they know no better.

I feel sorry for them. We have been on benefits before and its tough. My mum is on benefits and struggles day to day.

I would pay to slap katie hopkins!!! The bs row was ridiculous!

I feel sorry for the people of bs, but I'm disgusted with how dirty those children were and all the smoking around them. Very sad :(

Baby crazy-I'm right behind you in the queue to slap Katie Hopkins!
I cannot stand that woman!

She just likes to poop stir to get her face in the media. She is no different to an Internet troll (I bet she does that in her spare time too)

How exactly is a woman who come out with such rubbish even in a position to judge anyone else?!

I think the premise of the show is disgusting, shame on you Channel 4. I actually refuse to watch it as I knew exactly what it would be like (except a few clips of episode 3 so I could comment here) and looks like I was right from everything I have read. They edit, twist and manipulate the truth for the sake of entertainment or worse still propaganda.

I read the young couple had learning difficulties which the show conveniently 'forgot' to mention. Those judging messy houses, dirty kids, etc.... just remember you are almost definitely not seeing the whole picture, there is a reason people are the way they are. Please consider learning difficulties, mental illness, depression, lack of self worth, upbringing, influences, education (or lack of), addiction, genes, the list goes on and on.

If someone came into my living room with a camera right now I would be mortified, DD has thrown toys all over the floor, there is washing on all the radiators, my work is spread all over the sofa. If you see DD right after she has eaten a meal or just returned from messy play you might think she had never had a bath. Does this make me a bad mother? If someone with money has a messy house they are usually looked upon as eccentric, if someone poor has a messy house they are seen as lazy.

I did watch the debate and as for Katy Hopkins, she makes a living from trolling, the more controversial she is the more attention she will get. I would have liked to hear more from Jack had she be allowed to speak on the topic she was there to talk about!

Thanks for the recommendation to watch 'these four walls'. I'm watching it now and this programme is a true reflection of life on benefits.

Absolutely.

Yeah the kids were dirty. Before the bathed them before the HV was coming the boys foot was black with dirt.
We saw him trying to tidy the upstairs at one point so I think they would of shoved everything up there or something.
They have no money because it's been stopped because of lies or because of drugs/drink/fags.

Seen a comment somewhere in this thread about the couple being "only about 20". Age has nothing to do with what kind of parent you are.

Seen a comment somewhere in this thread about the couple being "only about 20". Age has nothing to do with what kind of parent you are.

Yes, that was me, and I know that having had a baby at 20 myself. My point was that they hadn't got a clue for a variety of reasons and in my opinion it wasn't a case of they couldn't be bothered to parent but they were struggling, and their very young age when their eldest was born could have been a factor.

Yes, that was me, and I know that having had a baby at 20 myself. My point was that they hadn't got a clue for a variety of reasons and in my opinion it wasn't a case of they couldn't be bothered to parent but they were struggling, and their very young age when their eldest was born could have been a factor.

I was 20 too and for me i think it was better i had him young. Wonder what monday's final show will bring.

But they were 20/21 and had a 4 year old so were quite a bit youger

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->