Benefit street

They both have disabilities? I didn't know this, was it mentioned on the programme?

They both have disabilities? I didn't know this, was it mentioned on the programme?

I don't think it was but then this show was meant to drum up anti-benefit feelings so I'm not suprised.

Who said they have learning difficulties? Has that been said anywhere?

Seriously, if they were mindful enough to have kids surely they are mindful enough to keep a clean home or at least clean children.

I really, really see no viable excuse for the state of their kids.

His grandparents have and have also named the special educational needs school they both attended.

I don't see how the ability to reproduce has anything at all to do with keeping a tidy house or parenting skills.

Really? How so, cause I would have presumed if they made the decision to have children (not one but two) then surely they should have the common sense to clean their home and their kids, especially for tv cameras coming. Or maybe they don't care. :shrug:

I got the impression they weren't bothered.

eta - They also cheated the benefits system and got caught. If they were calculating enough to attempt to do that then surely they can be held accountable for their house and children and can't be excused by learning difficulties.

Seriously, if they were mindful enough to have kids surely they are mindful enough to keep a clean home or at least clean children.

His grandparents have and have also named the special educational needs school they both attended.

I don't see how the ability to reproduce has anything at all to do with keeping a tidy house or parenting skills.

Really? How so, cause I would have presumed if they made the decision to have children (not one but two) then surely they should have the common sense to clean their home and their kids, especially for tv cameras coming. Or maybe they don't care. :shrug:

eta - They also cheated the benefits system and got caught. If they were calculating enough to attempt to do that then surely they can be held accountable for their house and children and can't be excused by learning difficulties.

They failed to inform the benefits office that they had got back together. That's how they cheated the system.

Maybe they know no different, maybe they don't see anything wrong with it? Maybe circumstances have got on top of them since they had kids (I would say this is clearly a factor since they appreared to be struggling with the kids)? Common sense, I would say is mainly something that is learned. I wouldn't say common sense is required to produce children. We don't even know they made a decision to have the kids do we? Parenting and housekeeping skills do not come automatically with having kids.

I am sure it was the intent of the film makers to give you the impression they just were just lazy/not bothered, do you accept this may not have been the case?

I can't really comment on them cheating the system as I don't know the circumstances, whether it was intentional, thier reasons etc... but if what sam2eb says is correct it hardly certifies then criminal masterminds, and even of they were it still doesn't have anything to do with what we should expect of their parenting IMO.

Maybe they know no different, maybe they don't see anything wrong with it? Maybe circumstances have got on top of them since they had kids (I would say this is clearly a factor since they appreared to be struggling with the kids)? Common sense, I would say is mainly something that is learned. I wouldn't say common sense is required to produce children. We don't even know they made a decision to have the kids do we? Parenting and housekeeping skills do not come automatically with having kids.

I am sure it was the intent of the film makers to give you the impression they just were just lazy/not bothered, do you accept this may not have been the case?

I can't really comment on them cheating the system as I don't know the circumstances, whether it was intentional, thier reasons etc... but if what sam2eb says is correct it hardly certifies then criminal masterminds, and even of they were it still doesn't have anything to do with what we should expect of their parenting IMO.

So are you saying that because of these reasons that its ok for children to grow up in dirty homes, miss nursery because they dont go to sleep until 5am and are locked in porches as time out??

So are you saying that because of these reasons that its ok for children to grow up in dirty homes, miss nursery because they dont go to sleep until 5am and are locked in porches as time out??

No not at all, I am saying there are reasons for this beyond just 'laziness', what the parents need is help not judgement and shaming.

I wanted to bring them home, give them a good meal and a nice bath and get them in to bed...

There are plenty of parents with learning disabilities who don't cheat the system, have a history of drink and drugs and who would rather give up smoking to ensure their kids have a decent meal instead. Those children deserve better :(

They have been parents for four years. They have had four years to reach out for help, support if they really needed it.

I know you are arguing the point for there being reasons behind their laziness and possibly can't understand why others have no sympathy for them, same way I can't understand how people can defend them.

I just don't see that as a viable excuse for the way they are living and bringing up those poor kids.

They have been parents for four years. They have had four years to reach out for help, support if they really needed it.

I know you are arguing the point for there being reasons behind their laziness and possibly can't understand why others have no sympathy for them, same way I can't understand how people can defend them.

I just don't see that as a viable excuse for the way they are living and bringing up those poor kids.

Completely agree.
And when help was offered in the form of a health visitor they seemed to ignore everything she said.

Completely agree.
And when help was offered in the form of a health visitor they seemed to ignore everything she said.

OK I have had to go and watch the full thing now (I had just seen clips). I have to say I saw it differently, even from the selective bits shown it did look to me like they were trying to improve things. It wasn't clear but I assume the bedtime routine they successfully implemented was something the Surestart lady suggested.

I have no idea what help they have asked for or received in the previous 4 years or what may have put them off asking for help if they didn't. Again, if they knew no better for example, maybe they didn't realise they needed help, maybe they were scared of being judged who knows?

All the possible reasons I have given in previous posts are just that, reasons. They are not excuses. The way somebody conducts themselves and the choices they make can only be down to nature and their past experiences and influences.

Mark and Becky's benefit fraud was that they wasn't living with each other but mark was staying there a few times a week and had a toothbrush and some clothes there so they thought they were cheating the system, whether they were or not I don't know. It's what he says on the 'after show' sort of thing. Also he says that he's got a job labouring (I'm half way through now it could change by the end of the show lol!)

Fungi was sexually abused as a child so he finds it hard to keep a job because he has to work around new people (this is all from the show). Obviously his criminal past has a part to play in not finding a job too.

Eta: it says on the after show (well mark says) he has got learning difficulties, he had a perforated eardrum which made him slower than normal at learning. Becky says she is 'at a lower skill of reading age'. She wants to do childcare but it makes it hard for her.

I felt sorry for mark when he had that job that only paid if he got donations which is a bloody difficult thig to do and doesn't make it easy for the work why type of people to keep a job if ur working hard and not getting paid at all. Tbh I wouldn't stay in a job like that.. I don't work for free!

Did use watch the debate show about it?
The politician (or whatever she was) said to white Dee that it didnt look like she had depression as shes too happy!
Everyone iv known that has had depression has been the happiest people iv ever known but its usually to cover the fact there depressed!!!

Yes catty, I saw that besides the programme didn't cover her life 24/7 so that was a silly assumption

What a horrible, uninformed, ignorant thing for the mp to say.

The after show made my blood boil (again) and the bloke hosting it was a twat too.

Did use watch the debate show about it?
The politician (or whatever she was) said to white Dee that it didnt look like she had depression as shes too happy!
Everyone iv known that has had depression has been the happiest people iv ever known but its usually to cover the fact there depressed!!!

This made me so mad!! :wacko:

I watched all of them and the debate and it's wrong the point of it all is just to cause a massive up roar :growlmad:

They always pick on the ones that are actually struggling and in need of benefits but some people are screwing the system and they get away with it :growlmad:

Read recently they are ending the Atos contract due the amount of people appealing against there decision to go to work.
It's cost more in appeals than actual benefits been paid...

It's all a big scam with the government they know what the deal is there just hurting a lot of people on the way :nope:

Let's see who take over atos???

Watch it will be more evil people worse than atos...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->