Benefits of bf exadurated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel like these days the benefits of breast milk is one of those things you're just NOT ALLOWED to question no matter how well meaning you are. Gosh I mean the brave people out there who are actually writing intelligently on the topic actually get regular hate mail. Isn't that ridiculous?

Sigh. Oh well, I'm out.

Because otherwise you get an entirely biased opinion of anecdotal cases. This is a thread asking about facts. The facts are that she BF and her kids are smart. Someone else FF and their kids were smart. That's it. It's not bragging, it's facts. Just like everyone else here has done. The animosity between FFs and BFs is ridiculous. A BFer can't even say she breastfed without being accused of boasting. Just because it's in the formula feeding section, should the ONLY replies be I FF and we're fine? Do you see how that would be false? I'm all for FFing but facts shouldn't be ignored to spare feelings. CHEMICALLY speaking formula is no where near as good, emotionally speaking, convenience, reaction to BFing, pnd, poor latch, discomfort and plain being uncomfortable are what makes formula the better "choice". But that doesn't mean BFing is exaggerated.

Original post:
I'm sick of being pressured into bf. I have made my decision to ff and that isn't going to change, the thought of bf makes me very uncomfortable and just isn't for me. I understand there are some benefits to bf but i am pretty certain these are completely over exadurated! Does anyone who ff's actually feel that their children are less healthy or more insecure than any bf baby?!

The OP came into the formula feeding section to ask FF moms if they feel because of FF their child is less healthy or an insecure individual. She's obviously looking for personal experiences with it, which I happily shared. What I can't understand is why a mom who has little or no experience with FF feels they should add into the discussion about how well off their BF baby is in the IQ and health department especially as the OP states she's already made the decision to FF.

It should really be in News and Debates to be fair. Not all of us who BF did so completely exclusively so we also have something to compare regarding BM vs formula and how our kids responded....

It should really be in News and Debates to be fair. Not all of us who BF did so completely exclusively so we also have something to compare regarding BM vs formula and how our kids responded....

I think it would have been closed 15+ pages ago if it were in the News & Debate section. I'm sure some people would have preferred it that way though.

Sometimes personal experiences lift others up and give extra confidence in their decisions, or lack of them.. they have for me when I know my sister and I were FF as well as my husband and hearing positives from FF moms on here is always an extra boost. Sometimes people need to hear those positives instead of what could be the better option. I think that's what OP was looking for.. a little reassurance from those who've been there, done that, so to say. She did mention she's made her decision so some of the comments have been irrelevant.

Because otherwise you get an entirely biased opinion of anecdotal cases. This is a thread asking about facts. The facts are that she BF and her kids are smart. Someone else FF and their kids were smart. That's it. It's not bragging, it's facts. Just like everyone else here has done. The animosity between FFs and BFs is ridiculous. A BFer can't even say she breastfed without being accused of boasting. Just because it's in the formula feeding section, should the ONLY replies be I FF and we're fine? Do you see how that would be false? I'm all for FFing but facts shouldn't be ignored to spare feelings. CHEMICALLY speaking formula is no where near as good, emotionally speaking, convenience, reaction to BFing, pnd, poor latch, discomfort and plain being uncomfortable are what makes formula the better "choice". But that doesn't mean BFing is exaggerated.

Original post:
I'm sick of being pressured into bf. I have made my decision to ff and that isn't going to change, the thought of bf makes me very uncomfortable and just isn't for me. I understand there are some benefits to bf but i am pretty certain these are completely over exadurated! Does anyone who ff's actually feel that their children are less healthy or more insecure than any bf baby?!

The OP came into the formula feeding section to ask FF moms if they feel because of FF their child is less healthy or an insecure individual. She's obviously looking for personal experiences with it, which I happily shared. What I can't understand is why a mom who has little or no experience with FF feels they should add into the discussion about how well off their BF baby is in the IQ and health department especially as the OP states she's already made the decision to FF.

My mistake for not rereading the OP after reading the thread.

When a post pops up on the homepage saying "are the benefits of breastfeeding exaggerated" I'll come and comment on it if I want. I don't think it's fair to say we aren't allowed to post our personal experiences. If the OP had said she didn't want to hear from BFers I'd probably think "well that's a bit ridiculous because she'll only get a biased response" but wouldn't post (mostly because I'd be scared of being ripped a new one), but she didn't say that. EFF come into the BFing section to post their opinion on "anti"-FFing posts and THAT's fine, the BFers still come off as the villains but when the post is saying something "negative" about BFing, BFers aren't allowed an opinion because they STILL become the bad guy?? :nope:

If the OP wanted replies from FFers only that was all rainbows and smiles than she should ask some people who had positive FFing experiences in private, not on a public forum. Even some EFF have had negative experiences, should they not be allowed to post?

The science is there to show the benefits of breastfeeding, and formula is missing a HUGE list of stuff that is in breastmilk, but, all in all i think its the mothers choice to decied what she wants to do.

I as a breastfeedin mother, don't like seeing things that arent true on formula cans, and wish there was more accurate information about breastfeeding for people (least where I live). However, I'd never bash a mom for wanting to formula feed or having to formula feed.

What matters is that ur child is feed.

I think everyone just needs to get along and move on. We are ALL good mothers and all of your children are perfect whether they are FF or are BF. I was told that I should NEVER be proud of FF. I am proud that my baby is fed and healthy no matter how she gets fed. There is to much animosity between BF'ers and FF'ers. BF'ers are considered to be doing something "sexual" and FF'ers are considered as giving poison and being lazy! I work 40+ hours a week, go to college full time, have a four year old, have flat nipples and a low supply. I tried my hardest to feed my children from the breast and couldn't. I am NOT lazy and BF'ing moms are NOT bad either. I stay out of the BF'ing section because of fear of being criticized. I am sad to say that any of us would need to be scared of such criticism.

The science is there to show the benefits of breastfeeding, and formula is missing a HUGE list of stuff that is in breastmilk, but, all in all i think its the mothers choice to decied what she wants to do.

I as a breastfeedin mother, don't like seeing things that arent true on formula cans, and wish there was more accurate information about breastfeeding for people (least where I live). However, I'd never bash a mom for wanting to formula feed or having to formula feed.

What is on a formula can that isn't true? it says in bold, "breast milk is best for your baby" the nutrients and such are regulated. nothing about the amounts of vitamins in there can be untrue, it is regulated in the USA.

When a post pops up on the homepage saying "are the benefits of breastfeeding exaggerated" I'll come and comment on it if I want. I don't think it's fair to say we aren't allowed to post our personal experiences. If the OP had said she didn't want to hear from BFers I'd probably think "well that's a bit ridiculous because she'll only get a biased response" but wouldn't post (mostly because I'd be scared of being ripped a new one), but she didn't say that. EFF come into the BFing section to post their opinion on "anti"-FFing posts and THAT's fine, the BFers still come off as the villains but when the post is saying something "negative" about BFing, BFers aren't allowed an opinion because they STILL become the bad guy?? :nope:

If the OP wanted replies from FFers only that was all rainbows and smiles than she should ask some people who had positive FFing experiences in private, not on a public forum. Even some EFF have had negative experiences, should they not be allowed to post?

But there's nothing negative about BFing written in here that I've seen unless I missed something (?). And I realize not all FF experiences are rainbows and smiles, I wasn't implying that. I just wonder what those with no experience with FFing are looking for in here. :shrug:

What is on a formula can that isn't true? it says in bold, "breast milk is best for your baby" the nutrients and such are regulated. nothing about the amounts of vitamins in there can be untrue, it is regulated in the USA.

Closest to Breastmilk is one I hear a lot.

But there's nothing negative about BFing written in here that I've seen unless I missed something (?). And I realize not all FF experiences are rainbows and smiles, I wasn't implying that. I just wonder what those with no experience with FFing are looking for in here. :shrug:

Nothing negative ABOUT breastfeeding exactly, just that the benefits may or may not be exaggerated, it feels like people who disagrees (mostly EBFers) opinion isn't welcome. And I don't personally come into the FFing section because I can't answer most questions, but when I'm scrolling down and I see the last active threads title is something about BFing I can and do have an opinion, that I feel is helpful. But I actually came in for interest and then had a question of my own, if you scroll back to see my OP :flower:

Just wanted to say, I wasn't cruising the FF forum. I clicked the quick links tab and used the drop down to view 'today's posts' I didn't realise it wouldn't be ok for me to comment on a thread here and didn't mean to upset anyone. This is obviously a very contentious issue that upsets people, although I'm not really sure why.

I do/did find the whole topic very interesting. I will stay out of it from now on :dohh:

Mine says this:
Breast milk is recommended. If you choose to use infant formula, the makers of Similac have a formula that's right for your baby.

Thanks for what you said. I really didn't mean to cause an argument :dohh:

Hi everyone just thought I would give my perspective on things. I BF my son for a year until I had my daughter I then fed her for a further 18 months whilst weaning my son off.

My son is now 13 years old and my daughter is 12. My son has been to the Drs once in his whole life (other than for jabs) and that was for chickenpox which he had when he was 13 months and my daughter got it at 6 weeks old. My daghter has been to the Drs three times once for the chickenpox and twice for tonsilitis that she got when she was 10. They both won platinum awards at school for attendance!

They are both at secondary school and acheiving really, really brilliantly. If my BF has anything to do with that then I am one proud Mamma!!

I was only 18 when I had my son and so many people looked down on me I felt that I had to BF to prove myself. Even the father of my children's mother made me go and sit on the toilet to feed when we went to her house, she also said that she thought it was 'sexual' and that I shouldn't do it. I know I'm getting off the subject here a bit but what I'm trying to say is BF mums get slated too, sometimes when people have FF they just can't undestand why we do it, but I'm so glad I did.

Even though I was so young when I had my first two I feel so proud to this day that I did BF them and would advocate BF and do believe that it is best for baby. At the same time I would never berrate anyone for FF and understand that it is not everyone's choice to BF.

I will definitely be BF this baby and it is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most.

Dont mean to be rude but I fail to see how this relates to the OP's question at all?

Is basically what you are saying that because you BF your children and they are both healthy geniuses that you feel the benefits of BF are not exaggerated? Do you feel that they wouldnt have acheived well academically if you formula fed them? xxx

There are quite a few posts on the thread that aren't directly answering the original question. Why pick at this one?

Just beacuase I felt that specifically it wasnt really answering the question at all.

It just felt like a kinda "boast" if you will about how the poster was able to BF her children and look at how smart and healthy they are because of it.

I EBF one of my daughters and EFF the other and they both have never had any ear infections, my BF daughter has had more tummy upsets so far than my FF daughter, and they both seem very smart and ahead for their age so far but I didnt feel this was relevant to the posters question, as its just anecdotal evidence and my personal experience. I thought this thread aimed to question the wider research of the benefits of BF?

Wow, I'm so sorry you felt I was boasting. I only commented as had seen a lot of other BFers had added their opinion. I didn't realise my experience wasn't relevent. I'll shut my mouth from now on, feel really bad now.

My thoughts? There are no benefits to breastfeeding. It's the standard and normal way a baby gets his or her nutrition. It's not a benefit to have the normal diet you are meant to have, it's just that...normal...how it should be. Rather, formula is a product lacking in normal nutrition for a baby. Doesn't mean breastfeeding (or breastmilk, I should say), is the one and only, super amazing, single choice food option, it's just the standard to which other options measure up against.

My thoughts? There are no benefits to breastfeeding. It's the standard and normal way a baby gets his or her nutrition. It's not a benefit to have the normal diet you are meant to have, it's just that...normal...how it should be. Rather, formula is a product lacking in normal nutrition for a baby. Doesn't mean breastfeeding (or breastmilk, I should say), is the one and only, super amazing, single choice food option, it's just the standard to which other options measure up against.

I totally agree.

I'm breastfeeding #2.

But #1 was formula fed after a variety of disasters/attempts at breastfeeding/pumping and his health issues. It was a substitute that worked, although his health still suffered for it (he had a variety of food intolerances and had gut pains for a very long time). I am grateful that I was able to feed him but it wasn't something I would ever willfully choose to do again.

That was just my experience. In my case no, I don't feel the benefits are exaggerated. I don't regret formula feeding my son as I didn't feel I had any other option (milk banks were not affordable/donors don't exist in practical terms) but I really can't say it was just as good or even "okay" aside from basic sustenance.

I'd love to BF baby #2 (if there is a number 2!) but I'd rather have an open mind, instead of assuming it would work out and going through a ton of heartbreak.

I don't enjoy or have "pride" in FF, it's just what we have to do and a fact of life. I cannot afford donor milk. I don't want a random person's milk for free. I just can't do that, it's not something I'm comfortable with.

My LO is happy and healthy for now, that's all I ask for. If she has allergies or something in the future I'll have to deal with it then. In the meantime, she has to get fed somehow!

I'd love to BF baby #2 (if there is a number 2!) but I'd rather have an open mind, instead of assuming it would work out and going through a ton of heartbreak.

I don't enjoy or have "pride" in FF, it's just what we have to do and a fact of life. I cannot afford donor milk. I don't want a random person's milk for free. I just can't do that, it's not something I'm comfortable with.

My LO is happy and healthy for now, that's all I ask for. If she has allergies or something in the future I'll have to deal with it then. In the meantime, she has to get fed somehow!

It's really a shame too, I don't about Cali but here it was $3/ounce - anyone with a reflux baby knows that's throwing up a good $30/day plus whatever they actually fill up with!!!

I had a home birth and hired a doula to assist with breastfeeding, turns out I didn't even need her even after transferring to the hospital. Philippe latched right away without issue and does not have reflux.

While I know education and perseverance is a big part of it, I'm afraid that luck also has a lot to do with it too :shrug: Circumstances do matter. My granny BF all her children except one, who was on some crappy goat milk/oatmeal sludge as that's all that was available. So at least we've moved beyond that, at least most of us, not every woman is as lucky still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"